how much should I be charging for these shared appliances..

Page 2 of 6

I live in the not so alternative universe where there is not only Contract Law, but Real Property Law, and things like easements, including prescriptive easements. And where judges are involved not just with remedies at law but with remedies in equity.
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 4:41:51 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

I'd say the price is about the only thing we know about the contract, which was almost certainly a verbal one. I doubt she agreed to pay $50 in perpetuity. More likely they discussed sharing the cost, he said something like "How about $50 a month? And she said OK." I'm not sure that means either party is bound to that price forever. Seems more likely to me that a court would interpret that as $50 was the price as long as they were both OK with it and wanted the arrangement to continue.
Your CL one time car purchase isn't a fair analogy. A better example would be someone shows up at your door and says I can supply you with a 10 gallons of bottled water every week for $10. You say, OK. Does that mean you're locked into buying 10 gallons of water from him at $10 forever?
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 09:39:27 -0700, "taxed and spent"

share of the water supply expenses.
The time to do your homework was before closing the deal, not after rethinking it for 3 months. A deal is a deal. You are getting unmetered water for a fixed price, from a well and pump system you do not need to warry about - you do not need to maintain it or repair it if it fails. Any normal, reasonable water usage is worth $50 per month.
The other interesting question is what is the arrangement for sewer services? Are you on a septic system? Is it shared too? Who pays for the repairs?
Common elements of a condominium corporation, and proper reserves to pay for their maintenance is the one MAJOR thing that condominium buyers NEED to check into before purchase. Are there condo fees? What do they cover? Sounds to me that wherever you are located, the condo rules are pretty "loosey Goosey".
Condominiums can be a whole lot more headache than HOAs - for sure.
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 3:45:40 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Once again Clare is lost in space. The OP didn't contract to pay, the OP contracted to receive $50 per month for the shared water service.

We don't know what was agreed to regarding who pays for repairs, a new well, etc. Could be the OP is solely responsible, could be they agreed to split that too.
There are submetering outfits. I worked for one a decade ago. I loved Kill-a-watt. Want one for heat. Was looking at doppler flow meters. COuldn't find a used one cheap enough that I would enjoy opening up and playing with it. Water does have some magnetism, and the magnetic meters may be getting good and cheap enough.
We got meters from India and China. THe best wudda been to send the signal thru the power grid itself, except everywhere you get a transformer you lose the signal (which is why power firms never got into internet). Some will use a phone or internet line to send the meter reading in. As I understand it the future is using RFID to read the meters as you drive (or drone fly) by the unit. I've seen meter reading drone ads in engineering mags.
Anyone good with Parallax boards and Adruino? (email me) I got an HVAC tri-corder project on the back burner some HVAC engineers talked me into a few years ago. Problem is, as soon as we make it, you know the Chinese will flood us with a five buck version. Use infrared to measure temperature, ultrasound to measure flow rates, and magnetism to measure electricity and maybe flow.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 11:47:07 AM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Probably the worst thing here that shows what happens is that the neighbor just stopped paying altogether. I can see her saying the $50 is too high, it very likely is, unless that front lawn is huge and they water it a lot, which doesn't sound too likely for a condo. In that position, I might say it's only worth $X and just start paying that. Not paying at all shows she's a real skunk.
Also, funny that in this whole long description of the problem, we don't know what the total electric bill even is, which is very relevant. I'm thinking there is a reason for that..... Also, we don't know on what, if anything, the $50 initially agreed to payment was based on. That says that the total cost is $100 a month, and if it's just for operating costs, that sounds high to me.
Running a well pump for water for a condo with 3 people in it shouldn't amount to much. The biggest component would be watering the lawn, where the pump is running constantly for a considerable period of time. Even watering a small lawn can take 2000 gallons.
He also referenced some chart from some utility in MN, might be interesting to see what the chart actually shows, but I would suspect he's right that it's probably not relevant. That kind of stuff varies all over the map.
replying to trader_4 , NG wrote:

Ok maybe $50 was a little much but at the time she didn't think so. She had a lot of time to think about it before she went to settlement, I would have been more then happy to make adjustments. Then 7 months later she came off very hostile to me as a neighbor. My electric bill are way over $ 250 a month. And we share a very large yard that requires The sprinkler system to run twice a day or more. My place before I bought it was one house that got divided in two. I need to she a chart here in jersey not out west... It's not a easy thing here and we're not on talking terms. So I had to work with my attorney on this problem..
On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 3:44:05 PM UTC-4, NG wrote:

Is that with or without AC? I can see that bill in peak summer. I'm in NJ here too, electric rate is 13 cents, and I'm only paying about $170 a month in summer on a 3100 sq ft house. Winter it's around that too. With no heat, no AC, it's more like $100 a month. If you're at way over $250, whatever that means, I'd say something is wrong.

There's something that's very wrong. A lawn only needs to be watered two or three times a week in summer. Running it twice a day or more? is nuts, because you want to water it deeply just once when it needs it, putting down about 1/2". If you're watering in lightly several times every day, each time you're wasting water wetting the grass, getting it started, instead of watering it fully once. Also it should be timed to end about 6AM, so you're watering it when evaporation will be lowest.

Why didn't you take her up on the Killawatt type idea? You probably can't use a Killawatt because the pump is likely 240V, but as Ed pointed out, you can get meters for $100 that will measure it. Seems she had a somewhat reasonable idea. Could have said, OK we'll meter it for 3 months, you pay for half the cost of the meter set up. Then you'd have some real numbers instead of totally winging it. How is a lawyer going to figure out what a fair split should be? He knows less than the two of you. Lawyers are real good at running up bills in situations like this.
And who set up this nutty thing in a condo to begin with? The well should have been part of the common property, common expenses.
replying to Unquestionably Confused , NG wrote:

Trust me I wasn't looking for legal advice on this website not by no means. I'm already dealing with a attorney on this situation, it hasn't been easy, my neighbor came off very hostile from the very start. I do have a very large yard and water 2 or maybe 3 times a day. She seem to agree on the charge that was presented to her way before she went to settlement.
NG wrote:

Unless you have a brand new lawn, you are over watering.
dadiOH wrote:

What kinda yard needs 2-3 times watering a day? You just seeded it?

He has a large yard and maybe his 2-3 times a day is watering in phases. Hard to tell with the dribble of facts and nonsense from this OP.
On 09/14/2015 12:20 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Or, similar to here, it's large and don't have a fixed system so use multiple lawn tractor-style sprinklers...in dry spells they run essentially constantly as it takes several days to cover the area so it's time to start over when finish one pass.

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 1:20:39 PM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:

Large front yard and condo does not compute, generally. And even if it is very large, why would you water 2-3 times a day, instead of just continuous, start to finish?
On 09/14/2015 12:48 PM, trader_4 wrote: ...

Specifics can always destroy generalities... :)
Being in an area with its own well and as was stated it started as a single dwelling which has been subdivided instead of being built as a condo in a more confined area, it doesn't seem unlikely at all to me that it might very well (so to speak :) ) be situated on a sizable lot.
Now, if indeed there is a "sprinkler system" and by that it means it's a fixed system rather than the poor man's version of the tracking sprinkler following the hose pattern, it would seem that perhaps the controller is set up wrong to be running as frequently as is rather than thoroughly watering a given section. But then again, maybe its actually even larger and the zones are that many...who knows for sure?
dpb wrote:

all. But I drilled my own one. Condo should have by law, a board and government approved condo by-law where I live. No problem between owners at all. Nothing like OP's problem can occur.
On 09/14/2015 2:08 PM, Tony Hwang wrote: ...

I'd guess the OP's arrangement is simply a duplex, not really a "condo" at all by the legal definition...

It could be. Given how sloppy the OP has been with all of these postings, I bet there is something in the chain of title saying the well is shared and costs are to be shared. Now all he has to do is figure an accurate way to share costs, not just keep using the number someone pulled out of their butt.
And is the yard shared? Who pays for that (not just the water)?
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 13:14:09 -0700, "taxed and spent"

water-consrvation conscious, and virtually NEVER water our lawn, and pay an average of $57-$65/month for water (including sewage) - and that's on a municipal system

Canadian Condo law is a LOT more stringent (and protective of the purchaser) than American condo law.