How much should a queen mattress and box spring cost and what do I look for by way of value?

Page 3 of 4
On 12/27/2014 7:15 PM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

$600 is low end if its a pillow top. But frankly, buying a mattress on name alone is foolhardy, you may get lucky, you may not.
'The Mattress Factory' (all USA made) has pretty good prices. We just bought a queen sized set from there yesterday and paid $650~ for mattress, box springs, tax, delivery and disposal of the old set. That is the only place we found locally that carry non-pillow top mattresses.
I prefer the old style that you can flip over every 6 months or so as most pillow tops can't be flipped over. Pillow tops are generally much thicker than non-pillow tops, more likely to take a set (permanent body depression) and after all - thicker is no guarantee of more comfortable. The set we have currently has all those bad things plus was so tall that I had to replace the frame with a low rider because our feet literally didn't touch the floor when sitting on it! The wife didn't appreciate having to jump to get on the bed. :)
The most important part in my opinion:
A store that deals only in what you are looking for should carry a wide selection and many more models on display to *try out*.
John
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 07:32:59 -0500, John wrote:

Now we're getting somewhere objective and measurable!
What I just want is good value. Good materials (within that value cost restriction). And to buy at the right store (for value).

Non pillow top mattress? Now we're getting somewhere.
What's the difference between a "pillow top" mattress, and a non pillow top mattress?
Googling, I see there is "plush" and there is "pillow top". http://www.ehow.com/about_5397833_plush-mattress-vs-pillowtop-mattress.html
I wonder what type the Costco one is? http://www.costco.com/Newfield-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress-Set.product.100085540.html
The Costco one says it's "firm", which seems to be the third type. But, since it can't be flipped, it might be "plush", which is a negative, since you can't even out wear.

I agree with you. You get "twice" the wear out of a flippable mattress. Maybe I won't get the Costco after all. That means I have to quickly look elsewhere.

That's also bad. I want the mattress that fits the most bedsheets.

Seems to me that it's impossible to "try out" a mattress without actually sleeping on it overnight. Otherwise, it's like kicking tires.
Howard Schornstein wrote:

We bought our last set thru my then-boss's wife , who is/was a buyer for a hotel/motel chain . It has labels for a four-way flip "this label up and at the foot for jan-feb-mar" etc . Can't remember what we paid but got it at a discount over retail . Look for a hotel supply place ...
--
Snag

On 12/28/2014 9:12 AM, Howard Schornstein wrote:

By trying it out I mean sit and lay on it, your body will will tell you if its comfortable.
No they probably wont let you sleep there - LMAO
If you can't turn the Costco model over its either a pillow top or cheap junk.
You are buying a 'pig in a poke' the way you are going at it. But then again, as you said, you don't use it so who cares. Just buy a blowup and throw it on the floor, that way you can get rid of the useless furniture.
John
Norminn wrote:

He does , he said above the mattress is for guests .
--
Snag

The one thing about the mattress business is that no matter where you buy it or which brand you buy, you cannot compare them. Every manufacturer that makes them puts different SKU- model number, etc depending on who it shipped to. The Serta X at Costco might be the same as the Serta Z at Sams. This has been an industry standard for years. So if you like the mattress and the price, buy it.
| I'm looking for an objective answer. | Price. | Quality. | Location. | | I'm not looking for a subjective answer because they | are essentially nearly worthless, due to the fact that | everyone defines "their" comfort differently. |
I don't think that's entirely true. Everyone has a human body. People vary in their physical ailments, but the mechanics of the body is the same for everyone.
I've had back trouble in the past (from a slight lordosis) and need a firm mattress. I also find that with age my bones increasingly get sore just from the weight of lying on them. Yet I've been very happy with a medium-firm foam rubber mattress, 4" thick. (The firm is too firm.) I think it was something like $170 at a store that specifically deals only in foam rubber. You can also buy them online. Unfortunately, if there's a technical designation for that exact foam I don't know what it is. (There seems to be a distinction between cheap, soft foam rubber and the kind of high-density stuff used for mattresses.)
For the sake of anyone reading this who does care about comfort and/or spinal health, I would just mention that I think "memory foam" is a grossly overpriced gimmick and actually rather uncomfortable. In summer it's too hot because one's body sinks into it. In general it's too hard. While it does mold to one's body, to some extent, the result is only that one's whole body feels equally pressed on. A good inner spring mattress, by contrast, makes me feel like I'm floating on top.
If money were no object I'd buy the best inner spring mattress I could find. But I find the foam pad perfectly adequate. So, for your needs, I'd say don't waste your money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one out. Failing that, buy foam. And if you decide later that you do care about the feel of it, it can be easily adjusted by adding a softer or firmer 1" or 2" pad on top of the 4" pad.
On 12/28/2014 2:29 PM, Mayayana wrote:

You say a subjective comment is worthless and you make a dumb statement about a memory foam mattress. We love ours.
We had a king for a few years but after my wife's surgery, we gave it away and now have two twins side by side. They are adjustable independently so I can put the head up for watching RV or what I am doing right now. I'm typing on a netbook sitting on my belly, watching TV and am very comfortable. My wife is napping.
Ours in NOT a Temperpedic, but a clone at about half the price. Foam is a good insulator so you may find it a bit warmer, but in the summer, the AC is on and very comfortable. In winter we keep the bedroom at 62 and with a fleece blanket we sleep very well. We also have the Gel type that is supposed to be a little cooler.
My suggestion is to try a mattress before you buy. Anyone that says a particular type is no good is not well informed and most important, they are not YOU so they have no idea what you like. No more than they can choose your favorite flavor of ice cream for you.
| > needs, I'd say don't waste your | >money on a mattress. Find someone who's throwing one | >out. | | ...and bring cooties into your home. Bed bugs, etc. It may also be a | violation of local health codes, unless the mattress is sanitized | before hand.
It actually is a violation where I live. There's been a resurgence of bedbugs. I wasn't thinking of just getting a mattress anywhere. I was thinking more that he might have a friend with an extra. So many people seem to have mattresses around that they just haven't got around to throwing out.
On the other hand, he's so adamant that he doesn't care about comfort, I'm thinking of offering him a good deal on a sheet of plywood -- $100 off what he would have paid for the Sealy Posturepedic -- for a limited time only. :)
| You say a subjective comment is worthless and you make a dumb statement | about a memory foam mattress. We love ours. |
The OP said a subjective comment is worthless. I said I don't like memory foam. Just my opinion. I find it uncomfortable. We have one here but I prefer the regular foam. (I also don't have AC, so that might make a difference.)

Indeed. Even the (discounted) selling price seems a bit much considering that a (spring) mattress is a set of springs with padding top and bottom. Not exactly high tech. http://innerspring.net/basics.doc http://innerspring.net/chapters.htm
Personally, I don't like them. For years - decades - firmness was touted. For something that you sleep on to be comfortable, it needs to conform to the contours of the body; anyone who has ever dug a hip hole in the ground will agree.
Although they don't conform well, some of the most comfortable beds I have slept on have been the cheapest of the cheap...a 4" or so mattress made of cotton felt on a spring frame (interlaced steel straps attached to a steel frame with tension helical springs). No firmness here! :)
Someone mentioned hammocks: I find them comfortable especially Mayan string hammocks.
No one mentioned straw: it is not comfortable.
Personally, I have been happy with water for the last 30 years.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Howard Schornstein wrote:

That salesman if full of crap . I think he just wanted to sell you his product . As I said , your best chance is to find a hotel/motel supply place .
--
Snag

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 09:38:15 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

That's probably true. I maybe should have opted for a double-sided mattress, but the two places I tried (Costo + Mattress Discounters) didn't sell any.
I have no idea where a hotel-supply store would be.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 10:32:55 -0500, Norminn wrote:

Like any quality metric, the devil is in the details.
The problem with coil count is that you don't have the wire gauge information. So, you can get a coil count of 704 with a thin wire gauge, which might be equivalent to a coil count of, say, 500, with a thick wire gauge.
So, coil count is only half the metric. They don't give you the other half, so, it's (nearly) useless.
Anyway, mine is 704 coils for a Queen mattress. I have no idea what the wire gauge is though.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 05:14:24 +0000, gregz wrote:

Was that the mattress only? Or the combination with the box spring as shown with the prospective Costco purchase?

Where is the "foam"? I presume it's "under" the cloth? What else do they use if it's not foam, for the softness?

While there's nothing wrong with taking a car or a girlfriend out for a test drive, you never can test a mattress just by "kicking the tires". Essentially, you can't test a mattress for comfort, at least not realistically, without actually sleeping in it overnight or even for a few nights.
So I'd rather stick to objectives I can "measure" with math.

The works, plus extra for wheeled stand.

Cotton, other natural fibers. Greg

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 08:31:11 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

I like that idea because they care about cost and quality.

Have a look at Consumer Reports magazine, collected by most good public libraries. Its latest article on beds included good advice how to evaluate them in the store.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Howard Schornstein wrote, on Sat, 27 Dec 2014 18:15:59 -0600:

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/frugal-mattress-shopping-tips-and-our-experiences.html
1. Mattress makers intentionally hinder comparison shopping by selling the exact same product with unique names for each individual store. 2. Higher coil counts are not a good indicator of quality. Check the wire gauge. More coils may simply use thinner gauge metal wire. 3. Pillowtop foam materials are cheap and a huge source of profit. Mattress thickness is thus also not a good indicator of quality. 4. There is no evidence that box springs are necessary or even helpful, other than to raise the height. 5. Firmer is not always better for your back. You just don’t want it too soft or too firm for you.