How much sagging is acceptable?

Hi,

We bought our house last year and a friend of mine pointed out our sagging floors just in the main entrance area (First floor on top of the basement). There are around 5 rows of titles (each spanning 15 titles). The first row closest to the living room is perfectly straight while the second row has a slight downward slope all the way to the last row closest to the kitchen (less than 1/2 inch depth). It looks like it has stablized and it's not sagging any more. Both the living room and our kitchen area is perfectly leveled. Our house is around 18 years old and the tiles don't have any crack or loose grout (except in some parts as a result of poor tiling). What I want to know is that is this a bad tiling job? or sagging? Also if it has stablized do I need to worry about it? It's not noticable at all.

BTW, also there is height fluctuation between floor and the baseboards anywhere from 0-1/4 inches.

Thanks Maz

Reply to
maflatoun

It sounds very stable. One good thing about tiles... they'll soon reveal any further movement. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to see new cracks appearing.

I suspect the installer just did a lousy job of getting the floor level before laying the tiles. It the sag was caused by movement, I'd expect to see significant cracking of the tiles and grout.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Thanks for your response.

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

Reply to
maflatoun

I'd try to find out why things have deflected, then the prognosis.

Sloppy workmanship is one thing, inadequate support something else.

barry

I'd try to find out why things have deflected, then the prognosis.

Sloppy workmanship is one thing, inadequate support something else.

barry

You didn't say how old the house was, but how in the world would you know if the sagging had stabilized? My friend just finished leveling his foundation near the chimney and there wasn't a significant amount of cracking or outward indications that the house was slowly sinking on that side. It took his house 100 years to sink 5 inches, what would you expect to see in 1 year?

Others have suggested this, I will too. Find out why it's sagging then come back and ask.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:J-WdnaL0LKz2mOPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Read it again.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Reply to
emailaddress

Reply to
Professional

And I'll bet she's noticed a few things sagging on you.

..jerk.

Banty

Reply to
Banty