How Much Rock Salt to Kill Roots?

Page 2 of 2

Thanks.
Your searches were similar to the ones I've been doing and there appears to be no "set dosage" .
It's not really a big deal, just more of a "comfort" knowing that I'm not "over killing" (i.e. wasting my time and money) or worse yet "under killing" (i.e. not killing as many roots as I could be).
I guess I'll "go big" to be on the safe side.
Thanks again.

What is the temperature of the water? :)
Poster's treatment of a leach field is somewhat different than a treatment of a drain line leaving the house to sewer or septic.........

My father in law used to do it. He used water softener salt. Dont think he measured anything just kept dumping in the salt into 5 gal buckets of water until he couldn't get anymore to dissolve. It was the 80s the last time I saw him do it. My guess is he used about 6 buckets more or less 1 or 2. Sorry I cant be more accurate than this, BTW his house had 2 drainage systems one for black water and the other for gray water. He quit using the salt when he started using the gray water on his garden abt 1990.... he had been doing this since abt 1974 when the house was built. He was also on a septic tank and I think this killed any biological action in the tank. Probably why he had to get it pumped yearly.
Jimmie

I have been rock salting my bad sewer line for over 15 years.and appear to have originated the idea here:)
I put 25 pounds of rock salt in my single washtub in basement and add very hot water and stir....till salt is at least half gone.
then go out for day so salt sits in sewer line.
next day i add more water or let the washing machine water that drains into the washtub dissolve the remaining salt. it goes away eventually.
early spring before trees leaf out is most important time to do this, roots are very busy in early spring . but i do it a few times a year just to be on safe side.
I kinda know when the roots are starting to block the line. the basement gets a odor and the floor drain water level bounces when water is dumped into the wash tub.
If I immediately do the salt thing by the next day the roots must die, and the blockage is gone.
so if you get a root back up you can try salt since you have nothing to loose
Mt Rooter probably says salt constantly in the hopes they get the pricey $$ job replacing the entire line, since a lot of people wouldnt want to be salting constantly.
I am on a city sewer, salt might not be good for a septric tanks biological action......

Thanks...I will use your method a few times a year.
No septic to be concerned with.
I know when the blockage is starting because the basement toilet gurgles and bubbles when an upstairs toilet is flushed. As it gets progressively worse, you don't want to be sitting on the basement toilet when an upstairs toilet is flushed!
I know it's really bad (and time to snake ASAP) when even taking a shower causes the basement toilet to boil.
You sir, are the salt of the earth! ;-)

i havent had the line snaked in at least 10 years, since the salt works so well.
you want to avoid snaking since theres always a chance the snake can jam and break off in the line.
at that point its call the backhoe.
my line is bad from under the home about 4 foot down, to the street at over 8 feet deep. it runs under basement and garage floor, under part of my driveway, under a large retaining wall and sidewalk.
worse my basement and garage are packed with stuff for my business including industrilal steel shelves.
it will be a PIA to replace
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 12:12:14 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Let us know how that salt works out. And your recipe. I don't have a root problem now as far as I know, but I think about it since I had roots in sewer line of my last house. Think about it enough that I had a big maple near my sewer line cut down. Don't miss the tree, as it was dumping bushels of leaves into my gutters too. Got plenty of trees elsewhere. Be nice to get before and after camera recordings of the roots, but they're about $300 a pop. Guess you'll find out how it works from the gurglings.
--Vic

re:"Let us know how that salt works out. And your recipe."
I hope you're in no hurry!
This is one of those "fixes" where you never really know if it works until it doesn't - unless I do the camera thing.
It'll be at least a year until I can assume it worked since that the *minimum* time it's taken for a problem to surface. Sometimes I've gone as long as 2 - 3 years.

Have you ever considered COPPER SULFATE? And March and April are the best months to use it.
Look it up youself, see if I'm telling you the truth.
DerbyDad03 wrote: (snip)

Me too. I switched from (very expensive) copper sulfate to rock salt last fall. I flush 2-3 cups down the toilet before bed ... every 3 weeks or so. Too soon to judge the results.
I flush immediately upon pouring the salt into the toilet bowl: hoping that the root mass will act as a strainer and trap the crystals where they will do the most good. I'm going to switch to (water softener) salt nuggets. Same drill; flush and hope they will get caught in the root mass and slowly dissolve there to lengthen exposure.
replying to DerbyDad03, DT wrote: A septic contractor just put in an new leach field for my son. The contractor recommended #5 pounds of rock salt once a year. This is one bathroom house. You can do the math is you have a larger leach field. I'm sure, how much vegetation you have in your area is a factor. Someone had mentioned to you, that each system has different factors.