How Much Rock Salt to Kill Roots?

Page 1 of 2
Since I didn't get an answer to this question in my thread about salt damaging my shower base, I'll try my question here.
What is the prescribed dosage of rock salt to control roots in a drain?
Some folks in this group have said they dissolve 25#, but they don't say how often.
One site, supposedly quoting a Mr. Rooter contractor, had this:
"Periodic (every 5-6 months) treatment with 1 cup of rock salt poured into the clean-out, followed by running roughly 1 gallon of water through the system and then allowing it all to "soak" overnight"
eHow says: "Rock salt will kill any plant or root it touches. Flushing it into the sewer system several times daily should penetrate and kill the roots."
Other sites simply say "use rock salt to kill roots in drains" or some variation on that theme.
Nobody seems to have a consistant answer as to a specific amount and how often - except for Mr. Rooter - but that suggestion is so far off from the "25#" suggestion that one or the other doesn't seem valid.
Does anyone have a source for a firm answer? I don't mind using too much salt, but I'd really like to know *how often* I should be treating my drains.
I usually have to snake my drain once every couple of years but I'd rather do preventative maintenance.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/31/2011 12:08 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would guess no two systems are the same. What kind of trees? Salt can kill oaks and some others. 25# sounds like a hell of a lot. I think I'd spread it out over a years time every 2 or 3 weeks.
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

ehow is a bullshit site filled with "knowledge" from idiots who get conned into their ad revenue scheme.
Please don't link to ehow, it's the bottom of the barrel of internet stupidity.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 31, 1:14 pm, "Jon Danniken"

I agree...and I didn't link, I just quoted.
Add pictures here
✖

I have no experience with this. I would suspect that repeated dosages at regular intervals would have a more lasting impact. That is common sense at work.
Add pictures here
✖

umm...yeah.
Except that counts as simply another opinion with no solid information. ;-)
What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?
What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?
Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.
With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:03:00 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots. When I had a sewer root problem I bought a root killer for that, can't remember which one. But there were instructions on the box (or bottle).
--Vic
Add pictures here
✖

re: "Probably because nobody here has used rock salt to kill roots."
Not true. It's been mentioned numerous times.
Add pictures here
✖

root killer I have used with success Roebic Root Killer K-77 they also make Roebic FRK-12 Foaming-Killer-Concentrate
Add pictures here
✖
On Monday, January 31, 2011 at 10:02:13 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I have been using rock salt to kill tree roots for at least 20 years. i do the 25 pounds split over a few days in the early spring when trees are abou t to bud out. works great, cant kill trees. killing a tree with root killer can cost thousands to remove a mature dying tree
Add pictures here
✖
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 11:16:54 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

o the 25 pounds split over a few days in the early spring when trees are ab out to bud out. works great, cant kill trees. killing a tree with root kill er can cost thousands to remove a mature dying tree
As long as we've revived my very old thread, thanks to HOH, I'll tell you of my root experience since then:
Rock salt did nothing to help. I eventually had the drain scoped and determined that the roots were entering the clay pipe from the *top* They would hang down and catch toilet paper, eventually causing a blockage.
Rock salt laden water flows along the bottom of the pipe and doesn't make enough contact with the roots to do much damage to them.
Since that time I have been using 2 pounds of RootX in the early spring. RootX foams and fills the pipe, coating the roots that hang from the top. I haven't had a blockage in the 5 years since I switched to this process.
http://rootx.com/homeowners
Does RootX Harm Trees And Plants?
No. RootX only kills the roots inside the pipe and prevents their re-growth . Since the RootX foam only flows through the pipe, it has no effect on roots outside the pipe.
Add pictures here
✖

umm...yeah.
Except that counts as simply another opinion with no solid information. ;-)
What size dosage? A cup? A pound? 25 pounds?
What's a "regular interval"? Every week? Every month? Every quarter?
Right there I've got 9 possible sets of "repeated dosages at regular intervals", but still no clue as to what is the optimum.
With all the "science" I've seen posted in this ng across a variety of topics, I'm surprised no one knows the correct amount and time frame.
------------reply-----------------
My understanding is that maximum root growth occurs in the fall and winter. Now would be the time to be treating. Rock salt is cheap. Dissolve as much as possible in a gallon of hot water. I suspect a pond or two is about all that will dissolve.
Copper sulfate, if you can find it is a far more effective choice and the directions are the label. :) Heck you might even get some regularity information from that.
Colbyt
Add pictures here
✖

.
re: "I suspect a pond or two is about all that will dissolve."
A pond? I have fill a whole pond with salt?
I don't even have a pond! Darn, now I'm gonna need a backhoe.
Add pictures here
✖

re: "I suspect a pond or two is about all that will dissolve."
A pond? I have fill a whole pond with salt?
I don't even have a pond! Darn, now I'm gonna need a backhoe.
----------------reply---------------
POUND. Damn spell checkers anyway.
I saw you got another reply for a bigger batch. I don't think you can hurt anything. Dissolve a much as you can, but now is the major time to do it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:43:56 -0500, "Colbyt"
Kill Roots?:

I don't know what a "prescribed" dosage would be, but I myself pour about 30 gallons of a saturated water salt solution into my leach field (down line from the septic tank) once a year. I came up with this amount from doing research on various sources.

✖

Ok, we're part way there.
How much salt does it take to "saturate" 30 gallons of water?
Can you cite some of those sources so I can do a little reading?
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Can't you type "salt solubility table" into Google?
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table>
✖
How Much Rock Salt to Kill Roots?:

I just take a 30 gallon tub set next to the access cover for the leach field drain line. I fill the tub with water and throw 25 lbs of water softener salt into the tub and leave it overnight. (I do this during the summer). The next afternoon, the water is a saturated solution. I then siphon the solution into the leach line.
Some salt is left at the bottom of the tub, but I just find another use for it or throw it away.

✖

The "cites" requested were not related to the solubility properties of salt, but rather a request for the sources that helped Mr. Romano determine that "30 gallons once a year" was the proper dosage for his leach field.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 10:17:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Sorry, but I don't recall and didn't save the cites. I just Google searched for something like: rock salt kill roots and got a bunch of citations. I read a bunch of them and decided that if I could get a saturated solution into the wetted parts of the leach field, that should do the trick. So far so good.

✖