How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

Page 1 of 4

Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC lighted rocker switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).
Nothing on the box says how much power each of the lighted bulb uses when the switch is in the off position.
Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?
Add pictures here
✖
On May 17, 9:53 pm, Glenda Copeland <gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

Is it neon or led?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 17 May 2010 18:59:46 -0700 (PDT), Jack Hammer wrote:

It looks to be neon.
Here are some URLs that describe the switch, but not how much power the light uses:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://www.drillspot.com/products/121986/Leviton_5611-2W_Commercial_Grade_Wall_Switch
http://www.smarthome.com/4246W/Leviton-Illuminated-Decora-Style-Wall-Switch-White-5611-W/p.aspx
Add pictures here
✖
On May 17, 10:14 pm, Glenda Copeland <gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

I am going to guess at anywhere between 0.1 to 0.2 Watts. Nothing to be concerned about imo.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 18 May 2010 01:53:25 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland

About as much as a 110 volt neon bulb. I'm sure you can find specs for those a lot of places. But it's very little, just a guess 0.01 to 0.1 watts? Let me know what you find out.
Add pictures here
✖

mm Close. I get .096 watts with one that has a 150,000 ohm resistor in series with lamp. So if the utility KW cost $ .10 you can figure out the rest. WW
Add pictures here
✖

This would be about 9 cents a year, if the light is off all year.
Add pictures here
✖

Much less than the stand-by power a wall-wart uses even when nothing is plugged into the wall wart.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 17 May 2010 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

What is a wall wart?
Add pictures here
✖
On May 18, 12:08 pm, Glenda Copeland <gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

Power supply (AC or DC) that plugs into the wall and has a cord that attaches to an electronic gadget. It's a bump on the wall, hence "wall wart".
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland

It's one of those things on the end of a power cord, that's bigger than a plug. Makes it look like some sort of fungus is growing on the wall. These are usually power supplies, but can be other things like remote controls and GFCI adapters.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 17 May 2010 23:56:13 -0400, mm wrote:

Using California electric rates, I get, for a single switch, 31¢/year?
1switch x 24hours/day x365days/year x 35¢/KW x .1W x 1KW/1000W
We have tiered pricing out here where the first week or so costs about 11¢/KW, the next week is about double, and the last two weeks of the month it's more than 4 times as much so I averaged that to about 35¢/KW.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 17 May 2010 21:30:35 -0600, WW wrote:

Our utility prices are 11 cents (¢) per kilowatt (KW) for the first KW of the month but 48¢ for the last two or three weeks' worth of kilowatts. I would guess the average KW out here to then be about 35¢.
So, if I add a dozen of these lighted switches, and they're on most of the day, say, 20 hours per day for 30 days in a month, at .096 watts per hour, that comes to about a penny per day, I think.
12switches x 20hours/day x 30days/month x 0.1watts x 35¢/KW x 1KW/1000W 25¢/month
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 18 May 2010 01:53:25 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland

A neon uses about 0.15KWH a year.
Add pictures here
✖

I had experience with a lighted switch at my day job. The neon lamp was definitely a high intensity type, probably C2A (NE-2H) or A1C ("mini NE-2H").
Figure about 1/4 watt for those, which means around 2.2 KWH per year times 1/100 of the percentage of the time that the neon lamp is on.
That is, until the neon lamp starts flickering (uses less then) after 25,000-50,000 hours. High intensity neon lamps in 120 VAC use tend to flicker and then gradually completely die as they age. Standard intensity ones do less of that and more of simply fading from their bulbs being discolored.
✖
On Tue, 18 May 2010 02:25:44 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein wrote:

I don't understand the 1/100th the percentage (figure 98% of the time the switch is off so the neon bulb is on).
What's the 1/100 for?
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/18/2010 10:11 AM Glenda Copeland spake thus:

Yeah, Don, what's up with that? Nothing more annoying than unexplained "adjustments" like that.
✖

99% is defined as 99 times 1/100.
Add pictures here
✖

1/100 of 98 is .98. That would mean KWH per year is 2.2 times .98, which is 2.156.

✖

I have had a lighted switch at my day job. It had a high intensity neon lamp, apparently either C2A (NE-2H) or A1C ("mini NE-2H) (hard to tell through the switch). Figure about 1/4 watt.
✖