How much of a toilet's power....

te:

message

Does anyone remember the tanks high on the wall that would fill slowly and then flush the urinals at school? (timed by the fill)

Reply to
Bob Villa

ge

But really, when the flush valve opens, the pressure is not what operates, it is the velocity of the water. The pressure is what gets you the velocity. Thus it doesn't matter what the pressure in the mains is, your tank height is all that counts. Even the "pressure assists" operate the same way.

You don't have "pressure" unless the water is confined in something.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

the incoming water has NO effect on the flush in a convention tank type toilet. you can turn the incoming valve off and still get the same result.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Good point. When I was repairing my toilet's wall connection, I flushed it by filling the tank with water from the bathtub. No connection to the water supply at all.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

NOT TRUE, the water going into the dip tube helps create the wave that flushes the bowl.

Reply to
hallerb

the dip tube water distribuites thru the bowl rim.

note clogged bowl rims cause poor flushing

Reply to
hallerb

You mean the over-flow tube...try turning off the supply and see how much difference it makes. It's just a rinse of the bowl as long as the water is filling.

Reply to
Bob Villa

wrong, try relocating the dip tube feed water for awhile...... into the tank

solids wouldnt flush as well and the bowl water will tend to just swirl around.....

thats why clogged bowl rim water causes fushing troubles.

the extra bowl rim water actually causes a bit of a wave helping the flush.

a buddy of mine says i am a toiliteer. a degree in toilets:)

Reply to
hallerb

a buddy of mine says i am a toiliteer. a degree in toilets:)

If the Rocketeer flew rockets, does a toileteer fly toilets? You're a toiletologist, PhD (Piled High & Deep). Sounds much classier!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Now I remember what you're saying...there is a large opening right- front under the rim that helps "swirl" the water. Ok Professor Porcelain I'm with ya.

Reply to
Bob Villa

But really, when the flush valve opens, the pressure is not what operates, it is the velocity of the water. The pressure is what gets you the velocity. Thus it doesn't matter what the pressure in the mains is, your tank height is all that counts. Even the "pressure assists" operate the same way.

You don't have "pressure" unless the water is confined in something.

Harry K

How is it then that submarines get crushed when they descend below the aptly named "crush depth" in the unconfined ocean?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

that's weird. I've never had those tubes going in the overflow and all mine work just fine. Having that water shoot in there is mostly unnecessary.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I think that's the reason tanks started out so high and gradually became part of the unit - improvements in the design of the bowl that faciliated the creation of a siphon where the weight of the water helps pull the waste down.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I think that a firecode thing more than anything else. As firetrucks hook into the watermains the overall pressure drops. I could be wrong, though - it's just a guess.

I do know that more than one water tower in NYC has been converted to living quarters. Whether that's legal or not, I don't know. I've watched them replace old water towers on "Dirty Jobs" but that's about all I know about them.

Sure. Even it if puts my reputation as the group's most verbose poster at risk. (-: Sorry I can't answer your other questions. I am sure we have someone here who knows.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

te:

Unconfined ocean? Seems they are very well confined indeed. Stack anything up on itself and the bottom is going to feel pressure. An open stream of water is not confined. You can stick a pressure sensor in the flowing colume and it will not register any pressure. Now whatever the stream hits will feel pressure true but again that is the velocity at work being converted back to pressure as it is "confined" (actually obstructed).

experiment. Put bucket of water up high, hose stretchs down, check pressure at bottom of hose. Now open hose and watch teh pressure decrease drastically. It probably won't decrease to zero as the hose still has some restriction.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You can even flush it by pouring the water directly in the bowl. It won't be as effective as there is no "jet" directed into the siphon.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

to test a toilet that fails to flush well use a bucket:)

If the toilet flushes solids wel with a bucket the interior toilet passages are the problem

If a bucket fails to flush solids the drain is the problem.

toilet 101:)

Reply to
hallerb

NOT TRUE, the water going into the dip tube helps create the wave that flushes the bowl. ===========

I'm thinking this is the right answer, and here's why. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a B&B with the girlfriend, and this place used a well & pump for its water. We were trying to fill the jacuzzi and noticed that even at peak pressure, the water flow was pathetic. It took almost 2 hours to fill the tub. Then, we discovered that the toilet was seriously weak, to the point of "Aw sonofabitch - where's the damn plunger, or a bucket." We mentioned this to the owner, who said "What?? Nobody else has mentioned this to me. Thank you!"

She's managing the place herself, so she'll be counting on a plumber to figure out the situation. Two other toilets in the building were equally weak. Weak, meaning you flush it once and if you're an experienced homeowner, you think "Uh oh. This is going to be trouble sometime in the next 24 hours." I didn't know what to tell her, but my first thought was that since they're all old style toilets, but not ancient, they couldn't ALL be stuffed, out of adjustment, or otherwise broken at the same time. Had to be the lame water pressure. But I don't know enough about well & pump systems.

If the water pressure's lame on a well & pump system, what do you do to remedy the situation? Some sort of tank?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Depends on the system. The well could feed a gravity tank, storage tank with a booster pump that supplies the house, directly supply the house if if's a shallow enough well, or have a small bladder tank. Each has it's own set of potential problems to troubleshoot.

Reply to
Robert Neville

If they had a submersible pump and pressure tank...they (she) would have plenty of pressure. It may be a shallow well pump or above ground pump that has to pump water down the pipe to push the water up an inner pipe (also limits the volume of water). I don't know the proper terms for these wells...but I have seen them in the "old days".

Reply to
Bob Villa