How much is movie matinee where you are

On 28 May 2006 17:26:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nomail.invalid (Luu) wrote:

I remember a place in Milwaukee about 10 years ago that had movies for $2.50 or $3.00. Place was packed on the Friday and Saturday nights.
Where I live now, we have to drive 30+ miles to get a movie. Last one I saw in a theater was probably There's Something About Mary.
We finally have a theater coming to town, supposed to open in a month
regards, -Jean
jean wrote:

Deja vu all over again....
You got me remembering the Saturday matinees I used to go to as a kid in San Francisco.
Admission was 25 cents for which you got to see a "double feature" a couple of cartoons, the week's newsreel and one episode of a "serial" like the Lone Ranger.
Sometimes you even got handed a little piece of stale outdated candy as you walked in.
Circa 1948 or so. <G>
Thanks for the mammaries,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

and candy 2 for a penny. So our .25c covered the movie, popcorn, drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs of life - instant first love!
Red
Red wrote:

Jeepers, were the movies "talkies" back then. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Is the following a correction, or did you really mean amounts that were 1/100 of those? Notice that BOTH the '.' and the CENTS mean hundredths. Using both makes it ten-thousandths.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Gotcha beat. Our Saturday matinee was 9c, popcorn 10c, cola 5c. and candy 2 for a penny. So our 25c covered the movie, popcorn, drink, and 2 pieces of candy. Even saw Lash Larue on stage, in person, one saturday. Had the cutest assistant I ever saw in my 8 yrs of life - instant first love!
Jim J wrote:

I'm pretty sure he meant .25 dollars, not cents.
But, you knew that. LET"S STEP OUTSIDE!!! You routy drunken hooligan!
;-))
Clancy Wiggum wrote:

Oh crap - I thought I was replying to Jeff... Sorry, you routy hooligan!

You seem to have wandered into the wrong room. The little kids' sandbox is outside. You'll see it when you go out the back door and look to the left. It's right next to the "Danger: High Voltage" signs.
;-)
snipped-for-privacy@nomail.invalid (Luu) wrote:

We still have a $3.50 place for movies, and they're only about 3 months behind wide release. I love that place, because it's the closest theatre to my house, and it's a stand-alone mini-cinema from the 60s which shows pretty much all the "mainstream" stuff I want to see. We also have a spectacular old vaudeville theatre which shows movies a few times a month for $3.00, and they're about 6 months behind. The theatre shows the "artsy" or "indy" films you can't find elsewhere, at least not cheaply. Even the popcorn is cheap, and the grandeur of the place can't be beat. Best thing is that there are very few patrons and since the place seats over 2,000, you can always find a seat with an unobstructed view away from anyone who's talking. I can't remember the last time I paid more than $3.50 for a movie.
<h> wrote in (Luu) wrote:

TWO thousand seats?? Yowza! that's a huge theater.
amazing it has stayed in business,with that low an attendance. Two of my local 2nd run theaters closed due to poor attendance.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
(Luu) wrote:

etc. Because they usually have major events, they only show movies a few days a month, when the theatre is dark.
(Luu) wrote:

I just saw "Shooter" for 75c,2nd run theater,on Tuesday,their 75c day. Other 2nd run theaters charge $1.50-$2.00,1st run theaters cost $4 or $5+ for matinees,the megaplexes are highest. I don't know what primetime charges are,I never go see movies at full price.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik