how much is a square?

Page 1 of 2
Roofer gave me a rough estimate of my roof size. 40 square is the measurement. Is a square equivilent to a bundle of shingles? It seems I can't get the terminology right while making a search.
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:24:19 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Good question for the roofer, eh?
No. A bundle is 33.33 square feet. "In most cases, 3 bundles = 1 square."

Not necessarily. That depends on the shingles. A square is 100 sq ft, period. A bundle is usually 33.33 sq ft, but not always.

A square is 100 square feet or 10x10 area

And three bundles of standard three-tab shingles will cover one square.

Or four bundles of some premium shingles.

Others have explained it. 40 square though? Quite a bit of roof. How big a house is this?
Red Green, 11/1/2008,5:43:59 PM, wrote:

Roughly 1800 sq. ft. rancher. Does that seem too much?

might be.
do you know the pitch?
Over estimating the squares is a common ploy to charge more.
did you have more than one estimate?
Colbyt, 11/1/2008,6:41:19 PM, wrote:

Not yet. My neighbor was getting his roof replaced today and I asked the Mexicans to give me an estimate.
This is what they said.....
Hemos encargado un montn de dinero y hacerlo muy mal trabajo. Que bebemos mucha cerveza y mirar a su mujer. Salimos de un lo y la demanda an ms dinero.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Pfffft. Doesn't matter. Even with a 12-pitch roof -- which would be *really* unusual on a ranch house -- it's still too much. More common pitch on a ranch house is about 4; assuming a 1-foot overhang all the way around, and making a small allowance for waste, that means about 24 or 25 squares.

Ayup.
1800 square feet is 18 "square" for roofing. Plus a bit, account of the pitch. 40 square sounds a bit too much.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If one square = 100 sq ft, obviously 40 squares = 4000 sq ft. You tell me if that seems like too much for an 1800-sf house.
badgolferman wrote:

simply wrote 40 square when he meant 40 bundles but still not right. I found links to a roof slope site that shows examples, here: http://roofgenius.com/Roof-Pitch-Examples.asp
Roofing calculator, here: http://www.servicemagic.com/resources.calc.roofing.13.html
How much overhang?

Sometimes they add extra "squares" if you have valleys since this is extra work and extra material. They also "round up" on any partial square for various sections. My roofer was off by about 20% when I finally counted up the bundles he actually used. I was paying labor only and a flat rate so it wasn't really important to me and they took the unopened bundles back at Lowes.
Norminn, 11/1/2008,8:40:34 PM, wrote:

Okay, here are the rough calculations.
80' x 40' There is about a foot of overhang front and back. The back slope is constant from the tip to the end with no other angles. The front starts with steeper angle from the top but the slope becomes less acute halfway down. There is one section over the master bedroom that has a different peak than the rest of the house.

You must have a truly huge overhang, or a roof pitch resembling a Swiss chalet, to have an 80x40 = 3200 sf roof over an 1800 sf house.
Go over your figures again.

I'm not a pro roofer or even a frequent flyer roofer so I can't picture in my head what you are talking about for the roof. But if it's only 1 floor and 80 by 40, that's 3200 sf. So add say 15% (previously used 20 for the heck of it) for waste and pitch and you have 3200+480...about 37 square. Pretty close to the roofers guess of 40.
How you get your stated 1800 sq ft house under a 40x80 roof is I just cannot envision.