How much hot water does a dishwasher use?

Page 1 of 3
I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less than a year ago.
The instruction manual I have for mine...over 10 years old...says how much mine uses for the different cycles.
Harry Everhart wrote:

That's good to know. How does that help the OP though? Most manuals today do not give that information.
He didn't say which one he has. He didn't say that he read the manual and could not find any information. He really didn't give much information now did he?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No, he did not, but your answer was no help at all was it? When I was buying a new DW last year I checked a few manuals from different bands that I was considering. Not one of them had water use ratings. If you had said my old machine state it uses from 5 to 7 gallons, depending on cycle, that would have been of some use. Most brands have manuals available on line if you care to check them out.

I bought a Whirlpool less than an year ago and the book has the water usage in it. It is under the cycle selection charts. It uses from about 6 to 11 gallons of water depending on the settings. It also gives the times of usage. Around 70 to 90 min.

Thanks Ralph - I will use 11 gallons as a guide per load. If that is the case - then a 2.5 gallon electric water heater will not serve it well. I presently have a 50 gallon water heater serving just a kitchen sink and dishwasher - silly - I know. I want to replace it. Harry

the additional time it takes for the dishwasher to bring the water up to temperature). Electric water heater vs. dishwasher heating the water...it's all electricity.
replying to Harry Everhart, Mike Cline wrote:

I have a Whirlpool Gold dishwasher and 2.7 Gal under sink hot water heater. What I have found is that the washer uses about 3 gallons per phase of a cycle, but the phases are not evenly timed. The first rinse cycle uses all the hot water, and the under sink unit has not quite recovered by the time the wash cycle starts just several minutes later and again uses all the hot water. Bottom line is that the washer gets enough hot water though with some cold mixed in, but it does completely deplete your hot water supply with each fill. By the way, the partial recovery time for the 2.7 gallon water heater is only a minute or so before it will start delivering small quantities of hot water again, for washing hands, etc. Our washer has a rinse and wash fill in rapid succession, a long wash period where it also additionally heats the water, and then one (or two) final rinse cycles.
On Monday, April 20, 2015 at 6:44:05 PM UTC-5, Mike Cline wrote:

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:44:01 +0000, Mike Cline

My Kenmore has "water heat" option. Seems like it would cost the same to heat the water with a remote electric heater as it would to just let the dishwasher do it itself. Heating the water adds a fair amount of time to the cycle... I think around 20 to 30 minutes.
the OP needed to supply some additional information since there are many differnet dw on the market and they may vary in the amount of water they use. My post suggested to the OP to read the manual. If he had posted..'I read the owners manual and it doesn't say how much it uses..' then I wouldn't have posted my message Richard.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@toavoidspam.com wrote:

All that to say read the manual? :-) Save the bandwidth - I did.
How about reading the water meter before and after the wash cycle. How many cubic feet of water = 1 gal?

Excellent idea - why didn't I think of that? :-) Harry

I've seen wildly varying figures from 2 to 20 gallons, but the newer ones seem to be closer to 5. The maker seem to be vague on the matter.
From the Whirlpool web page: Do I use more water hand washing or using a dishwasher? You use 2 times as much water by hand-washing dishes. It costs about 15 cents per load to use your dishwasher and about 2 cents per load to use the dry cycle.
From www.joe.org The average water use per dishwasher cycle decreased from a range of 11-15 gallons per normal cycle in 1978 (Garrett, 1978) to 6-10 gallons per normal cycle in 2000 (Soap and Detergent Association [SDA], 2000). Despite the fact dishwashers are designed to be resource efficient, other significant determining factors on resource usage are the result of decisions of the consumer.
begin 666 spacer.gif M1TE&.#EA!0`%`)$``/___P```````````"'Y! $`````+ `````%``4```($ &A(^I6 `[ ` end

Thanks Ed - I am sorry I was not more specific. The dishwasher is a Whirlpool Gold that I installed in 2004. I was in bed and could not go check the model last night :-)
The reason I am asking is because I am planning to replace two big electric water heaters - with maybe one one or two smaller gas or electric units. My kitchen is on one end of a 90 foot house and my bathrooms on the other end. But through poor engineering - the water heater near the kitchen services the bathrooms on the other end of the house.
I am planning to put one tankless water heater right next to my shower and then run a 1/2 insulated line "up and over 100 feet" to the sink and dishwasher in the kitchen.
Another option is to put one of those little 2.5 gallon water heaters under the sink next to the dishwasher. Just a thought. It is foolish for my wife and I to be heating two giant tanks of water - 24 hours a day - for two shower - a load of laundry - and a load of dishes.
Harry

Look under the cycle selection charts. That is the unit I installed about the same time. It uses about 6 to 11 gallons depending on the cycle. Mostly around 11 gallons for normal loads.
Your dishwasher may have a heater built in to get the water to the temp desired, mine does and it is older.

My washer specifies incomming water to be atleast 120 deg F. It is then heated to 140 to 160 deg F depening on the cycle used.
I would assume most washers would have internal heaters to get the water hot enough. The recommended setting for the house water heater is usually less than 130 deg F.