How much force to tip over a tree

Lets make a mountain out of a molehill......... Hell, it's only an 8 inch trunk. If you dont have a chainsaw and dont want to spend $50 to rent one, get a cheap bow saw from Walmart for $6 and spend a 10 minutes sawing it by hand and enjoy the exercise.

Reply to
emailaddress

The whole point is to remove a chunk of the root structure while I have the leverage to make it easier, and to drop it slower so it doesn't damage nearby plants. Also, so I don't have to remove parts from a ladder leaned against the tree. Cutting the tree at the base is not an option due to location.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

We have a lot of pine trees around here. I remember my father telling me that the pine has a root that goes as far below the surface as the tree grows above it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Reply to
Rain

With no cut roots, the tree will snap in the trunk. enough room at the base to drill holes, effectively cutting it at ground level? (With ropes and tension to direct the tree's fall.)

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Oak and pine trees have completely different root systems.

Reply to
Toller

Cut roots are not excluded.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

LOL

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

nope.

want simple? drill a hole in one side of the tree, stick a funnel and fill with waste oil, as it soaks in, add more, check every hour.

then light a match.

lot more fun than a chainsaw :)

other poster: some people dont like chainsaws. if it was me and I couldnt burn it, I'd ask someone if they want free firewood, if that fails, i'd use a winch to pull the tree gently in one direction, and start diggin roots, maybe flood with water depending on soil conditions.

I got some 50ft pines i will eventually get rid of, if no one claims firewood out of them, I might have to try this.

Reply to
Tater

Well, that doesn't speak too well for your business acumen, does it?

Okay. You caught me. I exaggerated. Let me restate.

"Almost ALL trees have MORE organic matter below ground than they do above. Not just pines."

Reply to
HeyBub

A strong wind that would create an equally loaded force can uproot a pine. Pines do have a weaker root system than most trees but putting a winch at one point on the tree will not uproot the pine. It will only snap the trunk and cause your winch to fly back at you.

Reply to
tnom

If you join your local Freecycle group

or post the wood on Craigslist for free, believe me, people will come running for it, especially now before winter hits. Your free wood will be even more popular if you can cut down the tree into more manageable lengths, but I'm sure that could be a point of negotiation. Good luck!

Reply to
KLS

Don't pines typically snap, rather than uproot in strong winds? I hope so. I have some big muthas too damn close to the house.

Reply to
GWB

No big deal until it doesn't fall where you want it. I have been cutting firewood (up to 12 cord/year) for over 30 years and I still won't fall a tree in tight quarters. Using a cable or chain (definitely not the run of the mill rope) tied somewhere up in the tree to "guide the fall" is not the answer either. Once you snug it up and make the falling cuts, any guidance is lost as soon as the tree begins to fall and the cable goes slack.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yeah, my Dad used to exaggerate too.

Reply to
lwasserm

Sure, even one pine tree and another pine tree have completely different root systems.

Reply to
lwasserm

Loggers dont pull the stumps

Reply to
Rudy

No. If they are in the open and see the full brunt of the wind they will actually partially pull out of the ground because of the weak root system. I have had two pines on different occasions pull down to a 45 degree angle. I had to remove them. My neighbor has three pines right now that have a 20 degree tilt at the base but have grown to re-righted the top half of the trunk through the years.

Reply to
tnom

Are you sure anyone is going to want burn pine? I don't have a fireplace, but isn't burning pine bad for the flue, creosote?

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

I have (unfortunately) three large live oaks lying mostly on the ground (two are still alive). They were knocked down by hurricanes two years ago. A few smallish roots came out of the ground but mostly they broke.

Reply to
dadiOH