How much fluid to put in a bottle jack

I have a 20ton bottle jack that is low on fluid. I found the fill plug on the side of the cylinder and put in some fluid. I did not have much fluid on hand, so I put in what I had. It now jacks up halfway, so I know it works, but needs more fluid. The question is how full should I make it? Do I fill it until it runs out the fill plug, or another level?

Also, I was wondering if I can use general purpose hydraulic tractor fluid rather than the more costly small bottles labelled as "hydraulic jack fluid"?

I found several websites abotu this. None said how much fluid to add. More than one said DO NOT use brake fluid. All seemed to recommend the actual "hydraulic jack fluid", one said transmission fluid works, but is not recommended. Yet none suggested hydraulic tractor fluid (which operates all hydraulic cylinders that are connected to the tractor, and thus is used in the same way). It's a lot cheaper per ounce to buy a gallon of tractor fluid instead of a quart or pint of jack fluid.

Thanks

Reply to
tangerine3

Yes to runs out the fill plug, or level.. is OK But the jack have to be all the way down when filling

Yes you can For hydraulic jack fluid is the same as hydraulic tractor fluid.....

Reply to
Hot-Text

On 3/16/2012 7:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote: ...

When in fully closed position, yes.

Yes. That's a less rigorous/demanding application. I wouldn't recommend longterm use of jack fluid soled specifically for manual jacks in tractor or other powered applications as those so rated will have additional conditioners for the higher pressures and temperatures they see over a hand jack.

There are SAE standards for these fluids as well as for the ones that are more familiar for motor oils, etc. that outline the different test protocols...

--

Reply to
dpb

I used to use jacks, at work. The tractor fluid works fine. I'd think that transmission fluid is OK, also. I found to fill the reservoir when the jack is "all the way down" helps keep from over filling the tank. Full, minus a bit for air space is what worked for me.

You cound always add "a bit" and then a bit more. See what allows you to raise the jack all the way up.

.

Also, I was wondering if I can use general purpose hydraulic tractor fluid rather than the more costly small bottles labelled as "hydraulic jack fluid"?

I found several websites abotu this. None said how much fluid to add. More than one said DO NOT use brake fluid. All seemed to recommend the actual "hydraulic jack fluid", one said transmission fluid works, but is not recommended. Yet none suggested hydraulic tractor fluid (which operates all hydraulic cylinders that are connected to the tractor, and thus is used in the same way). It's a lot cheaper per ounce to buy a gallon of tractor fluid instead of a quart or pint of jack fluid.

Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, some finer stores have "Radial tire pressure gage" which is a buck more expensive than the old style.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What does that mean? Sometimes when I change my email address etc. before posting, I get a message "Too much nym shifting". Then I submit it again and it works.

What's going on!!

Reply to
micky