how much drywall mud?

I just sheetrocked my garage and used 43 sheets of drywall and am ready to start an amature tap job. How many of the 5 gallon buckets of mud would be reasonable for a job like this? The work is pretty good as far a things lining up and being butted up well against each other. Had very little waste. Thanks.

Reply to
beerguzzler50

800 SF per five gallon bucket will put you in the right ballpark.

Check out USG's drywall handbook - it's pretty much the bible of the industry.

RicodJour

If you want to do a lot of mudding in one weekend start with some sheetrock. Sheetrock 60 or 90 will dry really fast and is a little harder than the mud you'd use. It's not designed to be used for the finish coat.

Reply to
HotRod

Are you referring to Durabond or Easy Sand setting type compound? Durabond can't be sanded and shouldn't be used for the polish coat, but Easy Sand works just fine. It'd be less expensive and less labor to use ready mix joint compound, and since the OP's doing a large garage it's doubtful he'd be able to finish the first coat in a day anyway.

RicodJour

I was referring to a product called sheetrock. It's like Durabond but it's sandable. I prefer to use sheetrock in the heavy spots and corners because it dry's quicker. It comes in 30-60-90 minute.

Reply to
HotRod