How much does Vudu cost?

Is it like Netflix requiring a yearly subscription, or can one rent one movie at a time? How much do old movies cost?
I've been all over the website www.vudu.com and I found one price, 4.95 for a children's video, but I don't know if even that is to rent or own.
I thought logging in would let me see prices so I signed up, but I woudln't give it my credit card. I think that's why I can't post to its forum and ask them. The FAQ was hard to find and doesn't say.
BTW The Channel Master DVR+ has Vudu built in, or something close to that. Its own website only mentions Vudu, but Amazon claims it can do more than that: "DVR+ includes streaming services such as VuDu, Pandora, YouTube, Channel Master TV and Sling TV which gives access to premium channels such as ESPN, TNT, HGTV, History and more!"

Never mind. I thought to google vudu review.
It's $6 a movie, which is almost a month's worth of Netflix, but with Netflix I'd end up paying many months without watching anything.
Well, it doesn't have my favorite movies** twelve angry men a real classic the major and the minor with Ray Milland and Ginger Rogers. It does have this: mr. blandings builds his dream house Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Melvyn Douglas, Reginald ...
**This is even more important for my cheap ex-girlfriend who is a lot younger than I and to whom I keep recommending these old movies. She probably too cheap to have Netflix but she would pay $6.
Back to the channel master, it come with a built in 3TB hard drive for 450 or expecting you to add a HD for 250. That's a good option because when the HDD breaks you can just buy a new one. I have a url with directions for replacing the HDD in my DVDR. but who knows if it will work.

FWIW, Netflix had all three of these but all of them only on DVD, so I'd have to wait for them to arrive.
7.95 a month to have one DVD at a time, which is all I would ever want, but if I want streaming too, that's another 7.95 (or so) a month.
IIRC, one has to return the DVDs that one is sent (otherwise "one at a time" would make no sense.
At Amazon for $12 I can buy the DVD mr. blandings builds his dream house, and not have to go to the trouble of mailing it back and have it forever. New. Used it's about $6
12 angry men Less than 11 new and 10 used. the major and the minor 12 and 10
A better deal for an occasional watcher.
I still have tapes and dvds I haven't watched yet.
On 2/26/2016 4:42 PM, Micky wrote:

[snip]

[snip]

We had the two DVD and Streaming at one time. Now just the streaming and that satisfies us.
As for mailing the DVD's that's really a non-issue. I don't know how the hell NetFlix managed to train the USPS but we live in the far northwest suburban area of Chicago. If I dropped a DVD in the afternoon mail, invariably I would get an email from NetFlix overnight that they had received it and my next selection was on its way.
Unless it was a new release and demand was high, I don't think we ever waited more than two days - meaning we'd get it ON the second day. Postage was prepaid and the envelope it came in was also the return envelope. Great service and selection.
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 18:07:53 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

That's amazing.

Good to know. I have a friend I'll tell.

Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 23:55:53 -0600, "dangerous dan"

That's a great deal, much better than what was discussed in the one thread I read, if you're not paying a monthly charge.
But maybe there is a monthly charge???

There's not a monthly charge. You pay for what you view.
Google play is another service that gives you credits, and even movies for free. They gave me Lord of the rings, X Men, Transformers, Night at the Museum, and some kids movies. It doesn't charge a monthly fee either, you pay for what you view. The movies they gave me are in my permanent library, not rental.
There's one on Roku that's something like "Go" that gives credits. I don't remember the exact name right now.
With Netflix, Hulu and Acorn TV, I don't need to rent movies very often. I've got almost more than I can watch now.
If I miss a show on broadcast TV, I can often watch it the next day on Hulu, if it was broadcast on NBC, ABC, FOX, or some others.
--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 14:38:17 -0600, "dangerous dan"

If they're going to have such good prices, I wonder why they don't give a hint of their prices to someone who hasn't signed up yet and given your credit card number.
I have a gut aversion to cooperating with this.
This is like the places that won't tell you the shipping cost until you put in your name and iirc credit card number.

I'll look at that too. Thanks.

They send out emails with special offers and credits.

--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:53:30 -0600, "dangerous dan"

Even though I didn't finish registering, I got one just now. Academy award winners, rent or own, as little as $5 for SD rental.
So they did eventually give me the prices without having to give them the credit card. Maybe I could have even logged in instead of waiting for an email.
Thanks for the help.

SD seems good enough for me, so that's what I always get, and my so called high speed internet sometimes has problems at that speed, so I'm not going to get the higher def and take a chance of it starting and stopping even worse than it sometimes does. There aren't many options for internet this far out of town.
If you like British TV, you might like Acorn TV. It's only $5.00 per month and they have a good selection of series IMO. You can check it out at https://acorn.tv/
Acorn works best with Roku, but you can watch it using a browser.