How much does it cost to heat "corned beef brisket" for 2 hours at 350 degrees?

Page 1 of 3
The wife thinks she's saving money by buying two pounds of corned beef brisket at $2.69/pound. However, it takes 2 hours to bake at 350F.
Is there a way to convert 350F times 2 hours to kilowatts?
We pay a sliding scale for electricity from 12 cents per KWH for the first week of the month (or so), to 45 cents per KWH for the second half of the month, so I can average the electricity to cost something like 25 to 30 cents per KWH.
But, how many watts does it take to bake?
I realize once I figure out the watts, the rest is easy. But how do I figure out the watts in an hour at 350F?

Google is your friend....
http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html
Also, I think what you're saying is that you have tiered electricity rates, so that beyond a certain point, you pay more. If so, I would not use the average rate, because if you add that additional cooking time, it's at the incremental, ie higher, cost. Using your $.45 rate and the calculator, gives a cost of $.70
Also, if you're using the oven now, during the winter, you're also getting free heat for the house from it. That reduces the true cost.
And boy it must suck to pay those rates. Here in NJ I'm paying about $.17 and it's one of the highest rates in the USA.
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:46:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That's a fantastic web site! Thanks.
I just looked up my "tiered" rate for Silicon Valley: http://www.pge.com/myhome/myaccount/charges/ Tier1 = $0.13/kWh up to "baseline" Tier2 = $0.15/kWh from there to 130% of baseline Tier3 = $0.30/kWh from there to 200% of baseline Tier4 = $0.34/kWh from there to infinity So, it's 34 cents per kWh, not 45 cents (sorry) in California.
Plugging 34 cents per kWh (which is what I'm charged for half the month) into that calculator, it costs me $0.27 per hour to bake at 350F.
So, roughly, the cooking costs are 50 cents for that 2 pound corned beef and cabbage she wants to make for Saint Patty's Day!
The good news is it's much less than I had thought it would be (I thought it was in the dollars range). That makes buying a cheaper cut of meat more of an economical alternative than I had originally assumed.
Thanks for edifying me!
Banter wrote:

Holly shit are you paying through the nose for electricity.
Here in Ontario (Canada) most of us are now on time-of-day metering, with the cheapest electricity costing about 7 cents per kwh from 7 pm until 7 am. During the day there are 2 rates, but even the most expensive is I think 14 cents.
Do your rates (above) include "delivery" charges? We pay an extra few cents per kwh to the operator responsible for maintaining the distribution network.
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:53:12 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

There are TONS of additional California charges on the bill!
On 16/03/2013 1:53 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Don't know where you live in Ontario, but where I live we are paying just under 20 cents per kwh (and it varies slightly depending upon kwh usage each billing period) and we're not on 'time-of-day' usage. The so-called 'delivery charge' exceeds my kwh usage cost. And then there is all the other miscellaneous charges they add to it. Try dividing your bottom line by the kwh you used to find out what it's really costing you. The 7 cents thingy is BS put out by the provincial government to make you think you're not paying much.
Gil
Gil wrote:

So if you are also in Ontario (you don't say) then you must live in a low-density, rural area (so you're paying a lot less for property taxes).
If you look at this:
http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/residential/yourbilloverview/Pages/ElectricityRates.aspx
You'll see that if you're served by Toronto Hydro (and you're on time-of-day billing) then you're paying 6.3 cents for off-peak and 11.8 cents for peak rate. On top of that, you're paying about 3.3 cents for transmission / distribution / regulatory, and a flat $19 per month for Toronto Hydro to pay their executives a nice big salary.
So including these extra charges, that works out to 15 cents per kwh for peak demand hours, and 9.6 cents for off-peak.

I think you need to get off the grid - or move to an urban area where you aren't being gouged paying for electricity. But take heart - at least you/we are not being screwed up the ass like they are in California.
Home Guy wrote:

http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/residential/yourbilloverview/Pages/ElectricityRates.aspx

You don't even live in a _real_ country. The only way you can voice an opinion is through USENET. If the queen finds out, she'll give you a public peepee whacking.

Where do I get in line for the peepee whacking?

Not for HomoGay the impersonator.

Gee, a Usenet fraud trying to be me. I would be impressed, but it's just another AIOEer (just below Google Groupie on the scum scale).

I would have thought you'd be more interested in how long a piece of string is.
On 3/16/2013 1:41 PM, Banter wrote:

Ordinary ovens are not really expensive to run especially at 350F. If you have a window its surprising how infrequently the heating element glows.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
heat "corned beef brisket" for 2 hours at 350 degrees?:

Wait a minute. Are you using whole house A/C at this time of the year in Silicon valley? If so, you need to factor in the cost of removing the oven heat from the house after it escapes from the oven.

Or subtracting it here. Electric ovens put less heat into the kitchen compared to gas.
Greg
On 3/16/2013 1:41 PM, Banter wrote:

It also shows how terribly inefficient cooking can be
Lets say we cook that corned beef to 160F, corned beef has to have a lower thermal capacity than water which is 1 BTU/lb * F
so roughly we need to raise the temperature of the corned beef 100 F, for 2 lbs this is 200 BTU or roughly 60W, less than 2 cents of energy at $0.34/kWHr. An insulated crock pot would waste less energy.
Jeff

Who makes an >>insulated<< crock pot ??
On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:46:36 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"
Re: How much does it cost to heat "corned beef brisket" for 2 hours at 350 degrees?:

Nice tool.
Banter wrote:

Huh?
If you eat two pounds of brisket at a sitting, you have no choice but to cook it all at once.
On the other hand, suppose it costs an extra, oh, TEN DOLLARS to cook the brisket in advance of mealtimes. You've got to ask yourself is it really worth it to save the ten bucks?
Remember, if the wife is happy and you're not, you're still happier than if you were happy and she wasn't.

I'm not sure what the savings comparison is in relation to. I would think he means cooking your own as opposed to buying it cooked. If so, they are way ahead. Cooked corned beef would cost 3X as much. But it's not a 3x savings, cooking it yourself, because when you cook it you're probably left with 70% of what you started with. Still, it's definitely cheaper to cook your own. And usually much tastier too..