How much does it cost to change 15amp circuit to 20 amp

Can the treadmill run on 240v? It would be relatively cheap to change the circuit to a 240v/15a; though obviously you would have to change/disconnect all the other outlets on the circuit.

Reply to
Toller

People do all sorts of Rube Goldberg things, but in the electrical field, if the proper standards are followed, second guessing shouldn't be a factor. If the manufacturer installs a 20 amp plug on a device, it should draw more than 12 amps and no more than 16 at full load

Reply to
RBM

No, it IS unsafe, period -- because it enables plugging in a 20A load on a circuit that cannot safely carry 20A. Maybe the load the OP is going to plug into it today only draws 3A -- but you can't predict what might be plugged in there tomorrow, or next week, or next year. It absolutely is unsafe to attach a 20A receptacle to a 15A circuit. There is a REASON why 20A plugs and receptacles exist: to keep them from being plugged in on 15A circuits.

Reply to
Doug Miller

sorry you would need 4 conductors, 3 wire 240 isnt permitted

Reply to
hallerb

False.

3-wire 240V is just fine for any purely 240V load (e.g. resistance heating, or a 240V motor). 4-wire is required *only* for devices that have both 240V and 120V loads, such as a clothes dryer or an electric range, both of which have 240V heating elements and 120V control and timer circuits.
Reply to
Doug Miller

WARNING although the wire gauge at that outlet MIGHT BE 12 thats no guarantee its 12 gauge thruout the entire breakers circuit!

for any number of reasons like voltage drop somone MAY have run a 12 gauge wire part way thru the circuit ..............

Reply to
hallerb

I doubt the machine could be wired 240 volt, but why would it require four wire. It's not a cooking equipment

Reply to
RBM

I gotta tell ya, at first I thought you were being raked over the coals by that contractor, but after viewing the website for Seattle's Building Dept.:

Indeed, any electrical work short of replacing a switch, receptacle, ballast, or fuse requires an electrical permit in Seattle!

That explains the ridiculous prices that you were quoted. Try to get some more bids to see if that price is in the ballpark for your area. In my area $300(US) will get one a 20 amp circuit anywhere in any house.

Good luck, you're gonna need it.

Reply to
volts500

I used to hear that the suicide rate in Seattle was the highest in the country, but I thought it was because of the weather

Reply to
RBM

That is so not true. It is called cover your ass. I have 3 kitchen appliances that have digital clocks. The instructions say to unplug the appliance when not in use.

Why would you put a digital clock on a device that you only plug up for an hour a day?

Reply to
Terry

No, actually its called National Electric Code, and Underwriters Laboratories

Reply to
RBM

State your source.

It is 100% legal to use a 20A receptacle on a 15A breaker. If you plug in a appliance that draws more than 15A then the circuit is protected by the 15A breaker. (That is what it is there for)

It won't work if you try it, but that doesn't make it unsafe.

Reply to
Terry

I have a 4 wire compressor. 2 hots, 1 neutral and a ground.

I think more and more 240 volt appliances are going 4 wire.

Reply to
hallerb

This is true, but it can be a reasonable assumption if you have #12 at the outlet (in and out). You can then check the panel and if it has #12 you can be reasonably sure.

Reply to
Terry

"sorry you would need 4 conductors, 3 wire 240 isn't permitted" It is permitted where applicable. Some equipment require neutrals and some don't

Reply to
RBM

I SUGGEST someone check EVERY outlet and fixture on that circuit!

People do all sorts of wird things. I know someone wh combined many circuits in work boxes to save some ground wires:(

better safe than sorry.

Reply to
hallerb

Except for my table saw I don't think I have even seen anything that required 20a. Chances of a problem are remote. Especially since a) it would only be a small overload; my 23a water heater ran on #12 for 35 years before I noticed it, and b) the breaker should cover it.

However, your point is not without merit. If the item can run on a 15a circuit it would be better to change the plug.

Reply to
Toller

NEC , table 210.21 (B) (3) shows you can't install a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit

Reply to
RBM

Probably not, there are likely to be some displays or something else that require 120v, but to save $900 it is worth looking into. If the damn thing actually requires a 20a circuit, it should be convertable.

Reply to
Toller

well if theres nothing else on that circuit it could be converted to

240 at the breaker end then install a transformer to take the 240 back to 120.....

but in all honesty it might be cheaper to buy a brand new treadmill that runs on 15 amp......

new treadmill with all the latest best features including safety ones......

does the treadmill have a 20 amp plug on it?

any other close by 20 amp circuits around? whats on the other side of that garage wall?

Reply to
hallerb