How much do you tip movers?

Page 2 of 2
Lesley wrote:

the moving company what the expected tip should be and include that in my price comparison.
When is somebody going to start tipping retired consumers for using services?

I always tip movers if they do a good job.
http://www.moving.com/guide/moving/faq.asp
"How much are you supposed to tip movers?
Tips differ depending on the size and difficulty of the move as well as the efforts put forth by the movers. An honest day's job should not go unnoticed. The average tip for local moves is 7-12% of the total bill. The average tip for long distance moves is $3-5 per hour based on the labor. It is best that you compensate each mover separately to acknowledge the hard work by everyone involved in the relocation."
snipped-for-privacy@voicenet.com says...

Sure, a professional moving site will recommend tipping movers... but this is part of the "feeding the bears" that others have commented on. Pretty soon there will be a tip jar at the grocery checkout to thank the cashier for separating the eggs from the 2 L soda bottles.
Marc
says...

I doubt that moving.com gets any kind of kickback from movers' tips ;) I quoted them mainly because it was easier than writing out the similar semi-standards that I learned from friends, family, and neighbors. Moving other peoples' stuff in the rain, snow, or blistering sun is a seriously crappy job, and I've had some amazing, fast, and efficient movers -- also some slow, clumsy and awful ones. The good ones get tipped well for far exceeding expectations. The bad ones get lunch and lemonade.
Don't feed ALL the bears; just the ones who pack and move you in less than three hours without so much as dinging the coffee table ;)
-- Jennifer
are you gonna tip me if i tell you how much to tip the movers?
randy

Depends upon the job I would say 5-10 bucks each!
Wayne

I have moved several times and never tipped movers, but I do offer cold drinks and snacks. One move was over $8,000. Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has ever tipped a real estate agent or stock broker? When I worked as a Census 2000 enumerator, I went to several thousand homes and the only tip I got was "Get the hell off my porch or I'll release the dogs!"
PTRAVEL wrote:

the camper van as a young teen, worked fitting bands and equip into the family van later and did huge scale rock and roll shows cramming a billion boxes into the trucks.
I pack dense (tshirts wrapped the plates with packing tape around them to keep them from moving, into boxes edged with albums or books so that if the are on the bottom of the pile of boxes, it won't crush).
the driver got out said "who packed this?" Er, me. "Man, this weigh usually takes up close to half my truck. You're in a third of it. I got to take an extra load along. I see people stick a lampshade in a box, close it up. Then they get cranky when a box of dishes gets set on top of it and crushes the box."

I find if you tip a mover more around 45 degrees, he starts to leak. ;)
No, in lots of moves (some pro, some with drafted friends), I make a point to get food/beer/soda and juice there about half way through the load or unload. Food means I'm thinking of them.
In NYC, a $100 (in 20s and 10s) to the crew leader of 4 was usually fine. It might be better higher there these days.
The pretip notion makes some sense. But I've had (NYC) movers who just SCREW you ("well, we didn't know it was 3 flights up, so it's gonna cost more." yeah, well it takes longer and you're paid by the hour, so low sympathy).
There was a scam in ny. They get to your new place (it's usually after 6 when you're moving) and they BANG the price up. In cash. You can't come up with an extra $1200 on zero notice from an ATM? They "store it" and charge you $500/day. DA got lots of complaints. An ADA (assistant DA) was moving in a couple weeks. So she hires these guys. They pull the scam, she says "I insist that you bring this stuff into my apt for the price we agreed on." or something equally blunt and clear. They refuse. She forbids them from driving off with her stuff. They get in the truck. Suddenly the area is filled with police. Including some big hefty guys who move her stuff into the apt after the arrests.
*SHOULD* I tip? Well, if my stuff gets screwed up, it's not worth it to me. It's not a tip, it's a bribe. And it's how the world has worked for centuries.
"here's 20 bucks to do it right."
It's motivating and costs a lot less than the move.
But also provide drinks for during the move and some beer for after. Contractors like me even if I'm a hardass with their bosses on other stuff.
chuck -- friends help you move. real friends help you move bodies.