How much Caustic Soda do I use for my Cesspool Leach Line?

Hi, can anyone tell me how much caustic soda to put in my cesspool? And when do I add it, on a monthly basis or just when it starts to fill up and needs to be pumped?
My Dad recently died and with him died the directions on how much and how often he added the caustic soda. All I know is that he always wore gloves and a mask when working with the caustic soda. Any info would be appreciated. Pam
Serves ya right for taking your Dad for granted. You should have been helping him instead of assuming he would be on shit patrol forever.

Thanks Rich, you're obviously an idiot who doesn't know the answer.
Carry on, the newsgroups need dumb male posters.
Pamela G. wrote:

Assuming this is not a troll...
None at all.
Harry K

It sounds like he was doing something totally unnecessary and perhaps even harmful.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (JohnH) wrote:

I think you're correct. I just had the sepic tank pumped and the guy told me that caustic soda shouldn't be added. He also said they test the water and if it contains caustic soda, they will not accept it.
John, thank you for your nice, helpful and civil response!

Ask the municipal building permit office where you live. You need to be sure you are talking about an (open) cesspool as distinct from a (closed) septic tank.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
snipped-for-privacy@ttrryytteell.com (DonPhillipson)wrote:

I wrote 'cesspool' and it's a septic tank. I talked to the guy that pumped it and he told me caustic soda is a bad thing to use. Now I'll have to figure out how to safely dispose of a half bag of caustic soda. Thank you for your help. Pam
:
: I wrote 'cesspool' and it's a septic tank. I talked to the guy that : pumped it and he told me caustic soda is a bad thing to use. Now I'll : have to figure out how to safely dispose of a half bag of caustic soda. : Thank you for your help. Pam :
    Very carefully. In case you don't already know this, Caustic Soda = Lye = Sodium Hydroxide. Call your local hazardous waste disposal facility. I'm sure they'll take it.
Joe