How much are you really paying for electricity?

Page 4 of 7
On 3/16/2012 11:07 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The new thing now to be very aware of is that some of the "new, reinvented" companies collect information (probably from accident reports) and send a bill claiming you damaged their equipment. I know two very sensible people who got such bills. One slid into a curb in an ice storm and another was pushed into a guard rail.

Actually, I should write a thank you note to the crew that dropped the new pole next to my driveway.
As I said in my other post, I park right next to a pole. Years ago I put patio blocks around the pole so that when I get out of my car I'm not stepping onto grass (or mud when it rains).
When I heard that they were going to replace the pole, I worried that they would destroy my little "patio" since it's on town property. Instead, they placed the new pole far enough away (about 6 feet) so that they didn't disturb the patio. The other new poles on the street are much closer to the old ones.
Of course, they haven't taken the old one out, but as long as they just pull it straight up and out, all I'll have to do is place one patio block over the spot where the old pole was and I'll be in better shape than I was before.

I can't say for sure whose tree it is, the homeowner's or the town's. It always questionable on my street because there are no sidewalks, the street is curved, the houses aren't always build square to the property lines, etc.
I know that the town's tree foreman stopped over while the tree cutting crew was there because I called the town the morning the tree crew showed up. I had chatted with the tree crew about what they planned to do and they asked me if I knew who owned this tree here and that tree there and what was town property, etc. When they hinted at taken down some of the trees completely, I got a little concerned. It's a very pretty tree lined street and dropping some of the old growth trees would have changed the look and feel considerably. On my way to work that morning I called the town and they apparently sent the tree foreman over to make sure they didn't go overboard. It may have been him that told them to cut the U into the pine, but I can't say. ...
How much are you really paying for electricity?:

Well said.

On 3/16/2012 11:46 AM, Joe wrote:

Thats pretty much how it works here. Last year the disconnect on the primary side of the transformer serving our house totally self destructed. I called in with the pole number and a description of what happened. Two hours later a truck showed up. I asked the guy why and he said "they closed the Smithville maintenance building and the same staff serves four times as much area".

Yes, Enron was just one of those shining examples of how well market forces work

Enron was more a shining example of how little government entities actually understand how market forces work and illustrates what happens when they try to legislate to their desires instead of how the real world works.

Knew it would take long to blame the liberals for making Enron out to be thieves
On Mar 16, 11:12pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

No one ever said market forces or free economies are perfect. Like everything else, they are not. But they are the best, most efficient and successful system anyone on this planet has found. Where liberals go wrong is they find anything that has a bad outcome, whether in free markets or society and instantly assume that govt control or another govt program is the answer. Yet, they never question the high failure rate and inefficiency of govt, which has produced results far worse than Enron.
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 05:45:06 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Enron *was* a failure of government, just as the housing market crash was a failure of government.
Only a leftist moron would disallow futures trading by power companies, for example. Forcing them to buy on the spot market is just demanding that some one else fill that void, at the rate-payers' expense.

Not so. Enron was a perfect example of what the free market will always do if given a chance with little actual downside to doing it...manipulate the market. Enron did it with electricity and many, many brokers did it with housing...with the collusion of the banks

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:16:02 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Who left the village idiot outside overnight again?!

Your mother. Shame on her, we will have to call child protective services to rescue you

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:03:24 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Aren't you lefties so sweet? Maybe they'll let you sleep inside tonight. No drinks after 8:000 and you gotta promise not to wet the bed, again, though.

So you know how to sleep inside but not actually how to read? Did your private school education fail you so easily?
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:45:11 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

I read pretty well, but you have shown the classic lefty brain (out sleeping in the park when they were handed out).

I've really come to like you. You try so hard but insist on moving backwards. You are in fact a typical tighty
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:21:14 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Like all lefties, you're a damned liar.

What an illiterate moron.

like all tighties, everyone else is always a liar. I just love the thought of how you make it thru a day trying to work out how to ignore all the lies your "friends" tell you. LOL

Indeed you are, but we already knew that

thank you for demonstrating your lack of self-control. Please do feel to continue demonstrating how well I own you
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:07:06 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Good Lord, it's amazing how often you advertise your zero IQ.