How much are you really paying for electricity?

You know that a large portion of, a electric cars of kWh will go on a New Road taxes, for a road repair fund.
Now is see why USA GOV. likes electric cars for if you to Poor and do not Owen a car.
But we all way be pay that Taxes at a fixed cost, if you have a car your not!!!!!!!!!
Add pictures here
✖

Not in my neck of the woods. Here's my breakdown- [National Grid- upstate NY] It cost me $185.59 for 1493kWh Basic service- 15.21 Delivery .05973x1493€.59 [then + $2 or so for a series of adjustments, assessments, word salads, taxes and tariffs] Supply .04633 x 1493 -- $69.17 [and a merchant function and 'ESRM' based on kWh- $8.15] plus sales tax $3.
So, although they can honestly say they are charging 4.633 cents per kWh -- I am paying about 12.4 cents-- and will pay most of that if I use one more kWh.
[and I'm not complaining-- The power grid should be a benevolent, well regulated monopoly, IMO.]
Jim
Add pictures here
✖

Check out that 'fixed' cost. It may be for them to 'make power available', thus when they fail on that contract, you should NOT have to pay.
When I lived in California [in one of the mildest climates in the world] we paid approx $300/mo for electricity for two people in a house with gas hot water and heating! one fridge, no freezer. I think they figured out how to charge what the market will bear. The utilities company got so greedy that they quit repariing and fixing their infrastructure, so transformers were blowing up regularly and the slightest windstorm would knock trees down causing power outages. It was a national disgrace - highest rates with the highest number of outages in the US.
Anyway, to hype the bill the utilities company started that long list of itemization with one of those charges for "making available" power so everytime one of those tiny winds came up and blew down a tree and we had an outage I DEMANDED A REFUND FOR THAT CHARGE based upon the fact that they had failed to perform and it is illegal in the US to collect for services NOT rendered. I got it, $0.06 credit for the power being off for 24 hours, but once customers started demanding their money back for failure to perform, suddenly there was money to repair the infrastructure and the outages diminished to more acceptable levels. I found out later that the movement to demand refund cost the utitlities company something in excess of several $100,000's every event. Probably included employee time to manually adjust each bill!
Now I live in AZ, where the builders seem to think electricity is free! the way they put in appliances, lighting, and stuff! Just noticed that everytime the news starts to carry comments about the high price of electricity, we suddenly have a power outage. Lasts about two hours, just long enough to make you panic and realize WE NEED POWER!, but not long enough time to destroy your food in the fridge, etc. ...and the news stories stop. Now, you just have to ask yourself, "Do I believe in coincidences?"
Add pictures here
✖
Edge wrote:

Same here in Alberta. 7 cents/Kwh but there are so many this and that charges, real billed price is ~double that. Same with water. They keep inventing new service charges to add.
Add pictures here
✖
On 03/14/2012 08:56 AM, Edge wrote:

That's the way I figure it (amount of bill / amount used). I skip all the fake costs (before the add the many fees and taxes). Like your example, there can be a big difference between what they say the rate is and what it actually is.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I don't know who the "they" is that you're referring to. But as someone pointed out earlier, since they reduced some regulation and invited more competition in many places, it's not unusual for the electric to be billed in two parts, one for generation and the other for delivery. You can even choose to buy your electric generation from multiple sources here in NJ. And the bill is perfectly clear and easy to understand.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/14/2012 12:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

We have competition here in PA but it didn't amount to anything since all of the "competitors" didn't produce electricity and were simply buying it from our electric utility who has huge excess capacity.
Basically a half dozen resellers popped up and annoyed the crap out of everyone with constant phone calls with pitches of very minor short term savings. Just yesterday we got a form letter from the local electric utility. It is still disingenuous because it is opt out but the letter stated "we are now required to give you written opportunity to ask us not to release your contact information to other suppliers"
Add pictures here
✖

Deregulation spawned a lot of suppliers that are buying in bulk from the same people that used to supply us, re-sell the same power we used to buy and skim off millions of dollars that should be savings in our pockets.
These so called power companies are just a desk, phone, and computer and a big bank account with our money.
Add pictures here
✖

Aw, those republicans are always out to let market forces reduce our cost of living, aren't they?
Add pictures here
✖

At least in my state our former democrat governor was a big proponent of and the one that trumpeted deregulation when it happened.
Moral of the story? There is no difference between politicians and the red vs blue stuff is what they do to keep everyone occupied.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes. What we got out of utility deregulation in Ohio was the mandate to still pay high utility bills even when we conserve and reduce the use of electricity or gas. That's all thanks to the "service" and other charges added to the bill that are not based upon use. And, of course, there's the confusion of trying to figure out the best deal (a betting scam?) every few months.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖

as a way to punish a group that had gotten too big by smashing it into little bitty pieces. The GOP would have done the same thing with a more business-centric outlook.
✖
On Mar 15, 11:10 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

Yes, because it's proven to work, as anyone who has taken even a basic course in economics knows. Even the libs who have studied economics know it. But they pretend, because they have ulterior motives.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:22:52 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

The lefties throw in *more* regulations. When it falls over, they complain about the "deregulation".
Add pictures here
✖

30 years ago, the local electric company had a highly skilled staff of maintenance people that worked year round trimming trees back from power lines and maintaining the lines as well. Power outages were maybe once every 5 years, if that, and short in duration when they did happen.
With deregulation, the power company had to trim back their workforce to a skeleton crew. There has been so much cost cutting locally that line maintenance is almost nonexistant. Power outages caused by storms are frequent and typically last 48 hours or so.
The bottom line is that any money I might have saved on my electric bill, I've had to spend triple that running a generator.
Fuck deregulation! Put it back the way it was.
Add pictures here
✖

You're dreaming.

Had nothing to do with "deregulation", which was no such thing.

"Deregulation" was no such thing.
Add pictures here
✖

It would be rare indeed for the delivery portion of an electric utility to be deregulated. I'll bet that the company you're complaining about is still a regulated utility.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/16/2012 1:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Rare how? The very large utility serving our area even morphed their name and logo to indicate they aren't the "old electric company" .
Add pictures here
✖

re: "With deregulation, the power company had to trim back their workforce to a skeleton crew. There has been so much cost cutting locally that line maintenance is almost nonexistant. "
Tell that to the crew that is replacing a half dozen or so poles in my neighborhood.
I've got 2 ploes in front of my house right now...new and old. Next week they'll be transferring the wires.
It actually works out great for me since I park right next to the old pole, which prevented me from opening the passenger side door if I backed in. They've positioned the new pole far enough away that I won't have that problem any more.
The only downside is that they cut a huge "U" into a very old pine tree at the end of the street to open it up for the wires. Someone, many years ago, had strapped 2 x 4's to the wires where they ran through the tree so that the wood rested on the branches, not the wires. Those supports will no longer be needed since the tree crew removed all of the branches on the inside the tree so that wires hang free.
Can you say butt-ugly?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:34:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I hop you don't have the same crew that did the pole in front of my house. They came out and measure, marked and had all sort of painted line and arrows. Then they proceeded to drill right into my sewer line. Planted the pole and left. It was only a portion of the line so I had some flow and it took weeks for the backup to happen.
Did they repair it? No, I had to have it done and put in a claim for the $3500 job.

Sure, but the tree probably should have just been taken down. One of the problems we have in CT is the tree huggers don't want radical trimming. They'd rather complain that the power is out and no one came to fix it yet.
Add pictures here
✖