How much are you really paying for electricity?

Page 1 of 7
In northern Illinois where I live, electricity is provided by ComEd. However ComEd is really two companies. One delivers electricity and the other generates electricity. In my last bill, that portion that was billed for "Electricity Supply Services" accounted for only 55 percent of the total bill. As the guy who writes the checks, the simple formula I use is Total Cost / kWh. This comes out to $0.149 per kWh. On the bill the stated cost of a kWh is only $0.06968.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/14/2012 9:56 AM, Edge wrote:

Thats pretty common and standard practice after utilities were deregulated.
Our NG bill is in the same format, so much for the gas and then so much for the cost of delivering it.
Add pictures here
✖

I have to pay for meter rental. $25 a month above the electric usage. I have several electric meters in my garage which came off houses that were being demolished. I called the power company and told them that they can come get their meter, and I will use my own. Of course they said they can not do that. When I asked why, they said that their meter is the only kind that will work. I told them that my meter is exactly the same kind, and I'll bring it to their office and show it to them. After a big run-around on the phone, I had some guy who claimed to be the president and he said that they are not allowed to use any meters except their own, and that I am not allowed to use mine. When I asked why, he said "sorry, that's the rule we must follow and I can not change it".
In other words, they can rip me off $25 a month just because they can! That's $300 a year going in their pockets for a meter that probably only cost them a one time fee of $100, and every year they take $300 for that same meter. I'm seriously looking into my own generator along with solar panels.
Just to add to this, a neighbor has 3 meters on his farm, and is paying $75 a month for them. One is for his house, another for a rental house, and the 3rd for his barn. He pays the electric for the rental house as part of the rent, and all he has in his barn are lights and a few heaters for his chickens. I told him to at least get rid of the barn meter and put it on his own house meter. I'll be helping him do that this summer. I also explained to him that he can put all 3 on the same meter and still put his own meter (after the one from the power company) to monitor what the tenants use. He'll be saving $50 a month / $600 a year.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Even if you found the regulatory loophole that would allow you to use your own meter, they would charge you a large "inspection" fee to validate that the meter is acceptable and then a monthly "insurance" or some other type of fee

Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 17, 3:10 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

$25 a month for a residential meter rental sounds steep. Curious, which electric company is this?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:21:22 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I think it pure robbery. After all, the meter is there for THEIR benefit. Electricity could enter my buildings without a meter. Sure I understand they need a method to determine usage, but I dont believe there should be any fee for the meter. They make their money off of the sale of the electric. This is the same as if everytime I went to Walmart I had to pay to enter the store, and then pay for the merchandize too.
This is one of those rural ripoff coops! Coops used to mean that everyone played a part in the ownership, but these days it's only a select few that make all the decisions. Yet they were more than happy to build a brand new HUGE building for the company, and added every luxury available, while their old building was perfectly fine, and now, 6 or 7 years later that old bldg still sits empty, and will probably be demolished in a few more years rather than selling it or leasing it, to help pay off the new bldg. Worse yet, they light up the whole outside of the fancy new bldg at night with flood lights to show it off, and mostly only local residents even see it. Yet they keep sending notices that we should conserve energy. How about they heed their own advice. One night I counted tthe lights. 18 in the parking lot, and 24 on the building, not to mention all the lights left on inside the bldg. (And no one is there at night). Aside from a few security lights, none of these do any good for anyone, and all except the security lights should be shut off as soon as they leave the building.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:35:07 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I like that idea. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 18, 1:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

I'm still waiting for the name of the actual electric company that charges $25 a month for a meter rental. Until then, call me skeptical.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:52:21 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It's probably how they charge for billing.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/18/2012 12:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Our's is $32 a month whether I use any electricity or not. I guess you could call it meter and drop wire rental. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

I'm quite sure that's what the real deal is. Gotta make the customers think they're paying for something other than junk mail. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

Our cabin is $38 a month, whether you actually use power or not Usage is extra
Makes me wonder about putting in a generator behind the garage, in a soundproof box and running it off Propane when we are there.
Typical use in daytime is fridge, freezer, water pump, water heater, some lights
The problem is that the break-even would be a few years out It may also reduce the resale value of the cabin.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 08:52:21 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

You'll be waiting a very long time!!!! For all I know, you are one of these online identity thefts.
Like I really care if you're skeptical. I'm saying what I pay, and care less whether you believe it or not.
Why not start checking the websites of electric coops and see what they all charge and do. Be sure to report back!
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, the gas company here (East Ohio Gas Co.) makes such claims. And, I have to say that I don't recall ever having the gas supply fail in my 50+ years. I have seen the gas company replace rusted pipes in several areas of the city and, of course, they had to deal with a disaster last year when a pressure regulator became faulty, put excessive gas pressure on the lines in one area and started several house fires. Maintenance of infrastructure was much talked about then.
Tomsic
Add pictures here
✖

They also have to swap out meters on a regular schedule by law here in NJ. I'm not sure how the gas repair/replacement costs compare to the electric utilities. On the one hand they are a lot less susceptable to damage from storms and the like. On the other hand the repair work would seem to be a lot more involved, ie excavating, pavement, etc compared to areas where electric utilities are run on poles above ground. I would expect that for gas, the overall repair costs are less.
You also have to factor in the cost of the distribution system that is in place. They still have to depreciate it, cover any debt that was taken out to install it, etc.
Add pictures here
✖

That's interesting. I have asked several times to get my gas meter (which is inside in the basement) replaced with an outside meter here in the PSE&G area. They've always said that I would have to pay for a new meter. And I've said no, thanks.
Do you have a reference to that law or rule?

I'd venture to guess that maintenance for underground services is in the long run less than overhead service. However, the initial investment is much higher, even in densely populated areas such as the boro of Fair Lawn. We have had 3 or 4 major electric outages of roughly 24 or more hours in the last 2 or 3 years. All due to storms knocking down wires.
I pay a service charge of $5.99/month, and then a "distribution charge" and "balancing charge" that go per "therm". These 3 are the delivery charges. Together they are just under half of the total charges for gas service.
--
Best regards
Han

Can't help you with that. I do know that NJ Nat Gas swapped mine out maybe 8 years ago. I recall receiving some notice that it was due and required. I don't think that is going to have anything to do with getting your meter relocated outside. Swapping a meter is loosening two unions and takes 10 mins. Moving a meter outside to a new location, that's a bit different.

All these utilities have to cover their costs one way or another. I still skeptical of the poster claiming there was a $25 per month charge for rental of an electric meter. Especially since he won't tell us the utility name, because he thinks we're somehow going to use that for identity theft. Go figure.
Add pictures here
✖

It cold also be charges for processing the bill or paying off bonds used to build the original infrastructure. There are many sources of fixed costs.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Think Sam's Club or Costco.
Add pictures here
✖

Did you ask what "rule" it was ? Did you ask WHO made that "rule" ???
Frankly, I doubt that there is such a "rule" and if there is, most likely it can be challenged. Do some more research.
Add pictures here
✖