How much a clothes dryer cost to use? Again ......

Page 5 of 5

Pete C. wrote:

Your last paragraph doesn't hold true with my electric company. If I had 2 200 amp meters, the second service would have a surcharge of something like $10/month even if no power was used, or if a million KWH's were used they would still charge that extra $10/month. So I paid to have the current transformer installed and have no monthy fee except for how many total KWH's I use. The one thing I dislike is the current transformer divides the power by 20, so the "digital spinning wheel" only runs at 1/20th the speed which is not easy to read to get that "instant look" at how much power I'm using at the moment.
Tony wrote:

You didn't understand what I was saying in that last paragraph.
A 400A panelboard cost a *lot* more than two 200A panels, so even if you have a single CT metered 400A service, in most cases it feeds two 200A panels as this is less expensive.
Whether the two 200A panels are fed from one 400A service or separate 200A services is just a matter of whether you prefer two monthly service charges, or one upfront CT meter installation charge.
Pete C. wrote:

OK, I get it now. I think I'm set for life with a 200 amp service/panel in the garage.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:12:29 -0800, terry wrote:

Our bills do end up all over the place - I just got the latest one a few minutes ago, and it's currently 4.5 cents / kWh for the stuff we have on off-peak (heaters, dryer and water heater), then 9.4c/kWh for the first 500 kWh used of 'normal' electric and 7.4c after that. We also get $9.50 off for a "water heater credit" and $4 off for a "dryer credit".
That off-peak rate's certainly less than it was the previous month.
We've just ordered a couple of hundred gallons of propane today, so it'll be interesting to see what the prices there are like when that gets delivered.
cheers
Jules

There was one common model we used in one of the Gulf states called the Indesit, made IIRC in Italy. It was quickly nicknamed 'THE INDECENT' . Problem was that once you started it you couldn't open the door! It didn't use much water and took ages to rock back and forth and 'do' a wash. Then the problem of drying clothes. Either hanging them up in front of the AC (even that was dusty) or finally installing a large US style 230 volt dryer. The electricity btw, was all 230 volt 50 hertz.