How Much?

It's not a question of "think" but, rather, *observing*!
I can put the headphones on and within *seconds* encounter one of these dropouts. They will persist for an hour or more -- until I get tired of having my listening interrupted, thusly. I.e., the batteries are fully charged and I'm within *feet* of the "base".
OTOH, I can take my phone around the neighborhood and not experience any dropouts, "fuzz outs", etc.
If I were to purchase a new cordless headphone, I'd select with very different criteria (the ones I have were purchased long ago with an emphasis on convenience and comfort instead of concern for the hostility of my current office environment). But, I'd rather have *no* headphones -- which I can do during "early" work hours (e.g., before ~10PM).
I'm working with a firm to modify a COTS BT (stereo) headset to incorporate a microphone to interface with my automation system (I present a spatialized audio interface to the user so a BT *earpiece* is not as effective as a stereo headset -- but, headsets don't tend to have microphones, very long running times *or* custom firmware). When this is available, I can use it in lieu of a COTS solution and have access to *everything* in the home (TV, telephone, automation system, etc.) instead of just the "stereo".
It also lets the house know where I am physically located so it can interpret my commands/request in an appropriate context. E.g., if I'm in the living room, audio from the TV would be routed to the headset, not the "stereo" that would be used if I happened to be in the office. Commanding "louder" would mean the TV's volume should be increased, not the stereo's -- without my having to qualify that command: "TV louder" vs. "stereo louder".
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 01:31:43 -0700, Don Y

You must just have a bad head set

It's an old headphone -- FM. It's silly to replace it, now, as my new design will do so much more than anything I can ever buy COTS!
I can't fault SWMBO for wanting to sleep at NIGHT! :>
And, as I said, I'd much rather listen to music *without* headphones or earbuds -- even my new design! That's the reason I've put so many "network speakers" around the house -- so I can listen to music (or TV or phone or... ) without having something on my head and regardless of my location in the house (or yard).
On 12/10/2015 9:42 PM, Don Y wrote:

You could get a set of hearing aids that is wi-fi enabled and just use them instead.
--
Maggie

On 12/10/2015 10:41 PM, Muggles wrote:

From what I've heard about hearing aids, they are anything but cheap! (and, probably not designed for "high fidelity" given that speech is a rather narrow band)
On 12/11/2015 12:39 AM, Don Y wrote:

Hearing aids are very programmable. They can turn up any sound tone and turn down others. My first set had great wifi and would work to hear the tv, which is what I connected it to, in just about every room of my house before it lost the wifi signal. The hearing aids themselves weren't the best match for my hearing loss, so the Dr ended up suggesting a different set of hearing aids. It has wifi too, but it's cumbersome and doesn't work that great. The aids themselves are a much better solution to my need, tho. I quit trying to use the wifi a long time ago on these.
--
Maggie

Muggles expressed precisely :

Isn't that called 'bluetooth'?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 12/11/2015 9:39 AM, Eagle wrote:

You're probably right.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Hearing aid is designed to emphasize human voice frequency spectrum. No good for listening to good music(HiFi)
On 12/11/2015 10:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Well, I guess I don't emphasize the listening to music part because for me I need the voices more. Hadn't thought of that before.
--
Maggie

Muggles has brought this to us :

I bet you listen to Judas Priest and Metallica, eh Maggie? :D
On 12/11/2015 11:57 AM, Eagle wrote:

No. <smile>
--
Maggie

I use my RF headset at night too. I really prefer it even though the entertainment center audio is available around most of the house if I switch over to it. I can also switch those (4) remote amps to local sources. They all have some way to play MP3s and video from the server too. There is about a mile of Cat5, 4 wire shielded audio cable and coax in the house.
The one redeeming value of the sat boxes Dish has is the RF out ports. There are 4 "channels" on my internal cable network that can select each tuner and I have RF remotes to run 2 of them. I also have an agile modulator on the PC and the RF from my ReplayTV on that cable. They are on unused UHF channels so my broadcast antenna amp is there too.
The only reason I am not a TV station (from the antenna) is the amp on that is "one way". I did test it.
Don Y explained :

Being retired lets you do what you want, when you want and tv is a part of that doing what you want. We enjoy watching TV and playing with our Poms. Besides all the things I've mentioned, I have one passion I take great interest in. I sponsor needy teens on My home reservation, I'm a member of Sicangu Oyate The Rosebud Reservation. I make regular trips back home and bring several teens back to So. Cal. And give them a taste of the world outside and give them the opportunity to see what the rest of the world is like.
On 12/10/2015 4:22 PM, Eagle wrote:

Great! I have a friend who "raises" guide dogs to take some of the cost/space pressure off the organizations that do so. It's a different sort of "pet" interface as they need to be taught to be "responsible" and not just "playful" or "casually obedient" (if a guide dog screws up, a life can be at risk)
Another friend reads stories to young hospitalized children. I don't think I'd have the stomach for that, given some of their maladies.
Another tutors young kids (though without regard for "means" -- so, it's just as likely that he's saving their well-off parents monies that they can then spend on other frivolities).
I'd have loved to learn to ride a unicycle -- but, suspect my body can no longer tolerate the abuse that would come from the "learning".
On 12/10/15 4:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'm retired too.
I was a hard-working SOB my entire life-- started working real part-time jobs around age 14, put myself through college and grad school, worked about 10 years for big companies then went out on my own and ran a lucrative consulting practice for 35 years.
Traveled regionally and nationally, some international, with 10-12-14 hour days the norm- and too many consult all day/travel all night weeks- with maybe Sundays "off."
So I gotta tell ya', I'm damn tired and my head still spins when I lay down at night. I love nothing better than a mindless veg-out in front of the TV-- or waste time posting on usenet ;-)
--
The lion may be King of the Jungle, but airdrop him into Antarctica and
he’s just a penguin’s bitch.
On 12/10/2015 4:52 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

I spend my work time seated with my mind doing all of the "work". So, for me, vegging-out entails engaging my body and distracting my mind.
As I have a lot of flexibility in how I spend my time, I arrange to have some suitable "activity" in each day that allows me to get things done while also giving me a mental diversion and some physical exertion.
E.g., an hour walk. Juicing lemons/limes/oranges. Painting the roof. Weeding the yard. Washing a car. Changing oil, filters, brakes. Baking. Shampooing carpets (I don't vacuum! :> ). Volunteering. Defrosting freezer chest. Cleaning refrigerator interior. Sorting cables. Shredding documents. Framing paintings. Cleaning/smoking/packaging meats. Felling trees. Sharpening tools. etc.
The idea of sitting -- motionless, unthinking -- in front of the Idiot Box has no appeal to me.
I dread the prospect of retirement as that will come when I no longer have the skills/abilities to continue with my primary passion -- my *work*! There are far too many interesting ideas to pursue while I have the skills to pursue them!
Don Y wrote:

No reading? Chunk of my time is spent on reading... No traveling? Cruising, Flying, Driving, Ttekking....

On 12/10/2015 9:47 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

I spend a LOT of time reading (and writing) -- but primarily technical issues. My eyes tire pretty quickly so I don't do much "recreational" reading -- about 500pp/week.
I spent a lot of years doing a lot of traveling so now see it mainly as an inconvenience. I wouldn't mind *being* other places... just not *going* to them! And, there needs to be some compelling reason to be/go there; I have no desire to go sit on a beach (been there, done that) or "sightsee" (ick), etc.
The places I'd like to go tend to either now be in locations that aren't particularly safe/convenient *or* would not support the sorts of activities that I'd like to engage while there (e.g., I'd like to *climb* The Great Pyramid, not just "look up at it")

I want a TV in my coffin. Once I am in that box, I wont be able to do anything except watch TV. :)