How Much?

Page 4 of 7
On 12/13/2015 9:23 AM, Eagle wrote:

Many of the DVR are only for OTA, but there may be some that will work with satellite. The technology has changed rapidly and i have the latest available. If something goes wrong, one phone call gets it fixed/replaced.
Ed Pawlowski formulated the question :

Does that work on satilite wives? :o)

With all of the DRM, I imagine the only DVR that will work with a cable/sat box will be connected via Composite or Component inputs. I am not sure you get high def from the component (it is capable but it might not be allowed) and the composite is basically NTSC HD on the HDMI will be blocked. You might not even get SD.
I have a pretty good mix of stuff here and I get a message that the "DRM is not enabled and I can only see SD" a lot.
There may be PC solutions that are not that well regulated.
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:15:45 -0800

$ZERO! Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

$230-240 depending on how many movies my wife buys.
(Dish, 2 boxes, one is DVR, land line and 10g DSL internet)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote :

Thanks! Your Wife must rent lots of movies, no?

She really doesn't really watch "TV". She just likes movies so I have all of the movie channels and she also buys Netflix and Amazon Prime although she buys enough stuff online to justify prime.
At this point I am trying to keep a Neilson type log to see if I could just cut the cord on Dish and get everything I watch from streaming and my antenna. If I had the $170 or so to work with, I imagine I could stream it all, adding a couple extra services and still have over $150 left over. Once you start looking at what is on Netflix and Amazon, it appears a lot of the shows I watch, show up there fairly soon without commercials. I would need to find a good stand alone DVR for the network stuff I grab from the air. I haven't looked at PC solutions although there are now 2 of them in my entertainment center and one has the TV card in it. I just have not had the time to screw with it or even plug it in. I know that will burn a day or two ... at least. We are in the holiday countdown and I don't have a day.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com explained on 12/10/2015 :

So much for tube TV sets and rabbit ears, eh?
On 12/10/2015 11:15 AM, Eagle wrote:

The more interesting question, IMO, is how many hours of your life do you spend at your 9-to-5 (before taxes!) to pay those (after taxes) rates? Then, asking oneself if it's really *worth* that much of your time (so you can diddle away even MORE time watching the boob tube, surfing the web or chatting with others).
Don Y expressed precisely :

I'm retired, and so is My Wife, so We watch lots of TV when We are not busy doing other things. I race My 1968 Chevy C10 short box, and do estimating on building projects for private builders.
On 12/10/2015 2:17 PM, Eagle wrote:

My comment, that follows, is obviously purely a matter of my own, personal, point of view -- your mileage obviously may (*does*!) vary:
I'd be "disappointed" if I worked my whole life just to spend retirement "watching TV". I can understand not being physically/mentally able to undertake other activities. But, *choosing* to sit in front of the idiot box seems like such a colossal waste of opportunity; you're finally at a point where you don't have to answer to someone else's marching orders... can choose *what* you want to do with YOUR time... "watching TV" wouldn't be high on my list.
(How many folks do you think express dismay, on their deathbeds, for NOT having watched MORE TV?)
I am constantly cheating my body out of needed sleep/etc. simply because there are so many things that I *want* to do with my waking hours! I regularly lecture SWMBO to take advantage of "opportunities" as there's no guarantee she'll be able to take advantage of them in the future (nor that they will present themselves, then).
No interest in learning another killset? Mentoring youth? Volunteering at a hospice? etc.
[Again, YMMV... I'm just pointing out *my* attitude towards the "MY TIME" we each are, hopefully, granted]
On 12/10/2015 4:35 PM, Don Y wrote:

Different strokes for different folks.
This time of year, I'd rather be out hunting but have to help my wife recover from knee replacement surgery.
I also do work on line for extra cash.
I see lots of young folks, that say they don't spend a lot of time on computers, never leave their smart phone. They don't realize that they are doing the same thing.
On 12/10/2015 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

Of course! Hence the point of the initial disclaimer in my reply! I just (personally) find it depressing to see folks spending THEIR time (as in their SPECIAL time of life) doing pretty boring things. If you can't *do* something, then, go *see* something, etc.
We have one neighbor (couple) who spend their days going out to eat. But, not to "try new foods"; rather, to avoid cooking! (OK, fine. But, maybe look for foods that won't add to their "rotundity"?? Or, would they NOT like to see grandkid's *4th* birthday? 5th? etc.)
Another neighbor is glued to his PC just surfing the web; his wife abandons him for weeks at a time as she's decided she'd prefer to spend time with her grandkids WHILE they are still interested in her AND she is still capable of interacting with them.
Another spends his days riding his bicycle (leisurely) around town. <shrug> I *guess* that's better than NOT riding. But, doesn't seem to be much more than watching TV in the grand scheme of things...

Obligations take precedence over personal preferences.

Exactly. And, SUFFER when they are denied access to it (class, church, driving, etc.) "Gee, I wonder if anyone has tried to say something, ANYTHING, to me in the past few minutes that I was unable to catch AT THAT VERY INSTANT because I was busy keeping this vehicle on the roadway..."
I am "terrible" at social functions (obligations) because I will inevitably find someone interesting -- and, then, "pick their brain" trying to learn from their experiences. Some folks delight in this sort of attention fixated on themselves. Others cringe as if it was an *assault*.
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 14:35:41 -0700, Don Y

I use the TV as a radio most of the day. I have an RF headset and I will crank up something like Charlie Rose and go on with my other activities. In that regard I really want something like Charlie or perhaps a history channel type of show that is really just a scripted slide show where the slides are secondary to the story. A lot of the time they are just "B roll" that may not actually be from what they are talking about but it looks right. I have seen that destroyer quartering in for an attack in everything from "Victory at Sea" to Mc hale's Navy. It is a rare WWII navy story that doesn't use it.

I take that approach late at night while working; play a movie (DVD) while in the next room -- relying on the audio to cue me as to what is happening on the (not visible) screen, at the time. (TV is usually *off* so nothing to see even if I wanted to do so!)
In that sense, it's just "background noise" -- something that's happening to which I don't have to pay close attention.
I'd much rather listen to music but that seems to interfere with SWMBO's sleep -- she can tune out a movie but not music (well, not *my* music! :> )

I rarely want something that will compete for my attention. I'd much rather "watch" a movie I've previously seen so anything that seeps into my conscious doesn't draw it away from the task at hand. Or, if it does, it does so in such a way that I can *predict* what will be coming next and can, thus, choose to push it back out of conscious thought (in much the same way that familiar songs don't compete for attention when you're attention is elsewhere).
Getting me to sit and WATCH a flick raises the bar REALLY HIGH! Doubtful that I would expend (waste?) that much time on something of unknown quality (for the same reason, I won't go out to The Show -- investing that time PLUS MORE in the hope that I'll see something that even remotely warrants my time.).
OTOH, there are many flicks that I will (and do, with some repeat frequency!) sit and watch gleefully. But, I've previously decided they were worth the time to (re)watch.
The most interesting behaviour comes with shows that are airing on TV -- but, that I already own on DVD/LVD/VHS/etc. I.e., I can watch the show AT MY CONVENIENCE... yet, will arrange my schedule to catch it when *broadcast* -- even with commercial interruptions. E.g., this time of year, it's shows like Frosty or Rudolph; reasonably short, nostalgic and just plain "fun".
[Of course, most years I miss them entirely as we don't have a "guide" service to consult; if we don't see an ad for the show prior to its airing, it will pass us by]
On 12/10/2015 6:26 PM, Don Y wrote:

Certainly easy enough to do with earbuds, RF headphones and assorted music sources.
On 12/10/2015 8:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Earbuds leave me tethered to a spot; I have three "dual" worstations that surround me while working -- so, I am continuously in motion moving between them. Corded headphones (much prefered to the little earbuds) suffer from a similar fate.
I've tried RF headphones but they have "flat spots" where reception "fuzzes out" -- which means I have to remain in a "sweet spot" or be continually bothered by the drop outs.
Ir headphones might work. My BT headphones are too small to give good reproduction -- and not small enough to fit into the ear canal where they can get enhanced base response by coupling directly to the structures in the ear.
During daylight hours, the preferred way of listening is with a little "console" that gives me the freedom of motion coupled with reasonably good reproduction. Or, with earbuds and a PMP while taking my daily walk.
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:42:04 -0700, Don Y

I can't stand ear buds but I have a 900mz head set that works 2 houses away when I am walking the dog. I did cheat and put the antenna on the roof. It still works anywhere in the house and yard. I want to get one of my ham buddies to help me make a better antenna although 900 mz works pretty good with nothing but a wire the right length.

Range isn't the problem. Rather, there is a difficult to quantify problem with dead spots -- as if nulls in the antenna pattern. So, I can move my head and pass through a null (momentarily) which manifests as a "fuzz out". Or, get up and walk into the kitchen and have (apparently) "random" fuzz-outs along the way. Yet, never be able to identify specific places where the problem repeats.

I have an old, 900MHz DSS cordless phone:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)> that allows me to remain connected to our land line virtually anywhere in the neighborhood (which is about 400 single family, detached homes) from a "base unit" sitting in the "furnace closet". I had considered installing a roof-mount antenna but figured it wasn't going to give me any more *useable* range (unless I wanted to carry a handset up to the grocery store??)
This allows each of us (SWMBO + myself) to remain connected to The House (not just The Phone) so we can "command it" (e.g., "Close garage door", "Shut off water on lemon tree", etc.) in addition to remaining connected to each other -- and The Telephone *without* being in the house, at the time.
E.g., if we're working in the yard and wander over to visit with a neighbor -- leaving the garage open as we've been fetching yard tools from within -- we can answer incoming calls as well as command the garage door closed if the neighbor invites us "in" to see some new purchase of theirs, etc. Or, if I'm on the other side of the neighborhood and SWMBO wants to ask me a question (i.e., use the "page handset" feature) or vice versa. Or, is wondering why I've been gone so long (ans: encountered another neighbor and am having a visit with them)
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 23:07:51 -0700, Don Y

Why would you think a head set would "fuzz out" any more than a phone? Mine doesn't seem to fuzz out until I am down the street a ways. Anywhere around the house and yard it is locked in pretty well unless the batteries are dying.