How Much?

Page 2 of 7
On 12/12/2015 07:21 PM, Micky wrote:

Do they get upset when you pull out your Kershaw and cut it yourself?
On 12/12/2015 8:21 PM, Micky wrote:

How did the dress turn out? :)
--
Maggie

Muggles posted for all of us...

It was very cute on him.
--
Tekkie

On 12/11/2015 12:40 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Why should he have to do it? Comcast property, it is their obligation to track it. DTV sends me an email every month listing my equipment.
On 12/11/2015 8:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You got it.
I can tell you numerous instances of Comcast stupidity.
They have some really good people working there but numerous dolts.
Mentioned I also have a FIOS line for my land line. That installation was a comedy of errors.
Frank posted for all of us...

I tell them to ping it. If they can't do that then one goes to next level...
--
Tekkie

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Just ask for the retention dept.
--
Tekkie

All I know, is that it would cost me about $100 a month more than my basic landline costs me now. And that includes my dialup internet. All I'd really gain from a satellite would be faster internet. That would be nice, but I really dont need it. Newsgrouops and email work fine on dialup, and there really is not that much that interests me on the web anymore. My phone would work the same as it does now. I'd gain some tv stuff, but I'm satisfied with what I get on my antenna, and am not a real tv watcher anyhow. The satellite company dont just provide internet, I'd have to take the whole package. For about $30 a month I get landline and dialup internet and that's as much as I'm willing to pay.
After serious thinking DerbyDad03 wrote :

No, If you don't get all three on one bill, then break it down to per service please. I pay $200.00 for HD TV and 200 channels [I think, it might be more], fiber optic access internet, and one landline #. The cell bill is sepparate...two #'s. My upload speed is 84.3 MBps, download spee is 86.13 MBps.
Do you think #200.00 is about right, or too expensive for HD TV,fiber optic internet, and one landline?
Eagle explained on 12/10/2015 :

BTW...that includes the server, the DVR, and three boxes.
On 12/10/2015 4:12 PM, Eagle wrote:

That's better.
If I add my land line, I'm putting out the same.
But I have a DVR, an HD box, and three boxes non-HD and get HBO, Starz and Encore.
Also retired, use services a lot.
Frank formulated on Thursday :

I USED to get all those pay extra services [except HBO] but got tired of paying $225.00 a month, so I cut out the no omercial channels and dropped My bill to $200.00. After going without the no commercial channels for a month, the extra $25.00 for no commercials is more better. I'll prolly see about a new contract and get those channels back and pay less for one year then drop that service and go with "DISH". I just got a flyer in My snail mail from "DISH" for $49.00. I sure miss the days of analog TV and antennas to get channel 2,4,5,7, 9,11 and 13 and not pay a dime for TV.

I went with Direct TV about 8 months ago, switching from cable. Use the recorder a lot now and skip over the commercials on lots of shows. Watch an hour show in less than 45 miuets.
The digital TV antenna will give me about 30 channels if I hook it up. Many of them are the same show.

Sounds like you are in the DC Bal'mer area. I was there for 38 years and never had anything but a Betamax and an antenna. If I rotated the antenna and held my mouth right I could get Ch 6 out of Richmond too (blacked out Redskin games).
You can still get those I imagine and there are probably 3 or 4 sub channels under each with a lot of reruns of old TV shows.
MCM.com has a pretty good fringe antennas for about $30-40 that will pull in signals from 70 miles away or so with decent line of sight..
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com laid this down on his screen :

No, I've been in the Los Angles, San Diego and Riverside county areas for 59 years. I moved here when I was seven. I don't think the old TV frequencies are available any longer here.

Funny, that is the same channel line up as DC/Baltimore
I bet if you get out your rabbit ears you will find all of those channels and probably a few more if you speak spanish. They generally have sub channels under them.
After serious thinking snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote :

Where would I hook up the twin lead on the TV? All I have are flat screen TV's now. The old CRT TV's were used for target practice, as well as two 17 inch CRT monitors. :')

All the TV sets I have seen in many years are set up for a coax antenna cable. For the majority of the stations now they are on the UHF band and need a different antenna than the rabbit ears.
I am about 30 and 50 miles from any major city and can get over 30 channels on an outside antenna. Many of them are the same programs.
I am not sure if any of the old crt screens have the digital tuners in them. I do have a converter box for one old crt tv I have, but don't use that set now.
On 12/11/2015 11:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yup. And, there are supposed to be "smart antennae" that can be tweeked by the tuner. Never saw one, though.

Depends on your market and topography. We're in a small, rather isolated, market -- nearest large metropolitan area is ~100 miles -- so we're limited to "local programming". OTOH, I don't really care much what the weather is 100 miles from here! :>
We are 9 or 13 miles (as the crow flies) from the clusters of broadcast towers serving our metro area. And, almost a perfect line-of-sight to the towers (I can look out the front door at night and see their flashing red lights atop the mountain).
Unfortunately, there is EXACTLY one tall tree in this part of the neighborhood and it lies directly in line with our antenna! When it rains and/or high winds, signal isn't worth even trying to receive! At least with analog TV you'd get a snowwy picture -- but *some* picture and MOST of the audio! Nowadays, it's all or nothing...
Thankfully, the tree is close enough that I can move the antenna to a different part of the house to "get around it". But, that requires mounting it on the roof, grounding it, etc. A fair bit of work for something we use so infrequently!

The converter boxes are hard to come by, nowadays. And, all that I have seen (recycling defective kit) suffer from short-term design goals. Caps tend to fail pretty quickly (I suspect they were intended as short-term solutions to buy time for folks to upgrade to digital TV's). They use a surprising amount of power to do their job!

... With a balun and most people have had a bunch of them because you got one with TVs and VCRs for years. (If you threw them all away I will send you one) OTOH most new TV antennas are supplied with F connectors for coax. All TVs still have a coax input and a tuner or it would be called a monitor.
If you just want to see what you have, stick a piece of small wire in the center hole of the coax input, hang the other end on the wall and do a channel search. I bet you get 8 or 10 with just that if you are in town.