How many wires in a thermostat

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
I need to run a wire from the attic (where the A/C and heating units will be) to the location of the thermostat on the first floor. I don't know specifically what I'll have in the attic and what thermostat I'll have.
How many wires should I have in the wire to make sure I'm not short on that number in the future. Is six wires good enough for any heater+A/C combination?
Thanks!

It depends upon the equipment. If it's not a heat pump, and just a garden variety furnace / ac unit, 4 wires is enough. Two thermostat wires will also need to be run from the air handler to the condensing unit as well
RBM wrote:

If you pull 5 wire cable to the thermostat location separately from the attic air handler location and the outside condenser location you should be good for most any system. That's what I ran for my new heat pump and I used 4 of the 5 to the air handler and 5 of the 5 to the condenser.

.
6 should be enough for all known likely heat/AC units

mine is 8, heat pump, ng backup, humidifier, outside temp
Jimmie

We have 8. eight is the bid. Do I hear 9 -- 9 -- 9 anybody. Eight going once...
We usually ran 9 when we rerun stat wires. The cost is not that much more. I think most our trucks only keep 9. One drawback-- some of the colors are fairly similar and you have to look real close to make sure you have the right one. BTDT. Larry
Eight and a half.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nine! We have 9. You're snoozing at the wheel there SM. The bid is 9. Do I hear 10? 10? - 10? - 10? Come-on you lame-asses. I'm on commission here.

12!? Dual runs of twisted pairs. Git 'em while ya got 'em.
Sincerely,
Lame Ass
You sound like a phone guy to have around.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

bigger bunch of pompous ASSHOLE KNOW IT ALLS--and you know that--you used to hang out there !!! =======================================================Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
What you mean "used to"?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Its obvious that most of the guys over there are out of work HVAC school dropouts sitting around home drinking beer and playing on the computer. They probably have a trail worn in the carpet that goes from the fridge to the TV to the computer to the bathroom. With the exception of a precious few they are worthless. I have found that if you can give a post there enough time someone who really knows what they are talking about will usually reply.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

Oh darn, now I'll have to add that group to this computer. 8~)
TDD
No place on Earth like the alternating havoc group.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Aaron Fude wrote:

Mine ended up with 9. But the newer stuff can be wireless if you wish. Also, there's options for running the newer stuff with 4.