How many wheelbarrows of concrete?

I am going to pour a slab in front of my garage so I have a solid surface for working on vehicles. That will take about 2 1/2 yards, and can be poured right from the truck. About 40 feet away I have a small shed and want to put a concrete floor inside this shed. The shed floor needs about 3/4 of a yard. Because of trees and other obstacles, the concrete truck can not get to this shed. That 3/4 yard will have to be hauled in wheelbarrows. Does anyone have any idea how many wheelbarrows will it take to haul that 3/4 yards? The wheelbarrow is an average size older metal ones. Not one of these new large load plastic ones. Of course I wont fill it to the top. Probably about 70% filled. Any idea what a 70% filled wheelbarrow would weigh?

Thanks

Reply to
letterman

-snip-

-snip- First I'd be absolutely sure it can't come right off the truck. Is the grade on your side? How many chutes does the truck bring? Can you supply extra chutes? Can they pump from the truck that's coming? [and if you have a choice of vendors try them all because the right guy with the right truck can make your day]

If it absolutely *had* to be trucked I'd invest in one of those 2 wheeled barrows and, as someone else mentioned, make a hard path for it. [and see how much extra it will cost you if the truck stays over its allotted time]

Then calculate that you're going to be extra tired when it comes time to work all that concrete- so hire extra help to do the carting.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A more realistic load for 'wheeling' is around 50% (or less) fill. Also best to have more than one barrow and worker doing it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Did the same to fill some sonotubes. It takes about 12 - 15 wheelbarrows for a yard, depending on the wheelbarrow and how full. Don't fill them too full, or they will be top heavy. Make a flat run for the tire, maybe use plywood or wide boards.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Make sure you have some help and that someone on this project has a flat work experience. You probably only have about 200 sq ft total but flat work is a lot of work, I hate it.

Heavy rubber knee boots & a tamper will make the work easier and the result better. You'll need a screed & a float and a plan.......plus someone to work them.

3/4 of a yard is a pretty small amount to wheel barrow so don't worry too much. I figure about 9 wheel barrows (5.5 cu ft under filled) per yard so you've 6 or 7 trips Handling characteristics depend on mix slump....soupy stuff is nasty to wheel over uneven terrain, low slump is easier. Figure on smaller loads, a spilled load sucks. Even for a small batch like this two wheel barrows is better.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

For a large 3/4 yard^3? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Didn't quite understand your comment

but smaller loads are easier to maneuver and a spilled load will easily negate the potential time savings of few larger loads.

Additionally I do not know the physical capabilities of the OP.......

I've unloaded full 9+yd trucks (in my youth) with a wheel barrow & a single helper, it must have scared me for life. I've spilled a few "too full" loads, messy / not fun.......thus my recommendations for a rookie, hopefully leading to success.

cheers Bob Bob

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207