How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

Page 1 of 2
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.
I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day). HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?
I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.
Add pictures here
✖

I should note that California alots only 2 therms a day for baseline costs of about $1.22 per therm (plus 5 cents per therm PPP Surcharge); so apparently I'm consuming double the natural gas energy California allows (regardless of home size or number of people) for base rates.
The over-baseline charges are $1.37 per therm plus that same 5 cents per therm additional charge for poor people (i.e., the California Gas PPP Surcharge).
Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?
Add pictures here
✖
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month. In the winter it's slightly more.
Anthony
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:

Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.
The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!
43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day
That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average household in America. I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?
REFERENCES: Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/AE_water_heater_cost.html 365 × 0.4105/EF × fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation
Review of hot water heaters http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/water-heaters/review.html 365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation
Add pictures here
✖
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

FWIW, we're apparently almost exactly average.
I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

✖
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

We used 30 therms in both July / Aug (hot water & furnace pilot) - US.
Add pictures here
✖

When I had a furnace with a pilot light, I always shut it off except during the heating season.
Add pictures here
✖
Anthony Matonak wrote:

Last year we used a total of 71.5 MCF (734 therms at 10.27 therm/MCF). That's an average of 61.2 therms/month. Highest monthly usage was 17.4 MCF (178.7 therms) for 1/23/2007~2/22/2007 for which the average temperature was 22 deg. F. Most recent monthly usage (33 days: 12/21/2007~1/24/2008) was 13.3 MCF (136.6 therms) with an average temperature of 32 deg. F. In the summer months the usage was 1.2 MCF (12.3 therms) per month.
This is a 1750 sq. foot, 53 year old brick and stone ranch style house with fairly new double pane windows. We are in Pittsburgh, PA. Gas is used for heating (forced air), hot water, and cooking, for two people. We keep the thermostat at 58 degrees at night and 68 degrees in the daytime in the winter.
Add pictures here
✖
Bill Ghrist wrote:

I live in Los Angeles, California and I can't recall the last time I needed to fire up the heater. This winter has been fairly warm with an average of around 60F. I'm hardly home enough to cook even if I did have the inclination and I don't have any teenagers that take incredibly long showers. This probably explains the low gas use. :)
This just shows how useless it is to ask the whole world how much gas they use. Someone in Fargo is going to need a little more heating than someone in Key West. :)
Anthony
Add pictures here
✖
message

We use about 100MCF per year for 2600 square feet. We used 22.3 or almost a 1/4 of our yearly usage last month.
That was with a 37.7 average daily temperature. That should be our coldest 4 weeks of the winter. Knock on wood! :)
To be fair, I was home more during the day than normal so I over-rode the setback more.
Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since forgotten.
Add pictures here
✖

10.31 therms = 1 MCF
Add pictures here
✖
Colbyt wrote:

water, and the other half for heating (but it's pretty warm here in Texas).
✖

Mine isn't billed in therms, but in cubic feet; between the two houses, 21600 in January.

Since we just went through water usage, let me preempt the next inquiries:
    Electricity    1,011 KWH     Sewer        $23.04     Garbage pickup    $29.00     Tax        $15.01
As above, that's for two houses, total of about 1900 square feet, one occupant.
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
✖

In my city (CT, USA) we have to contract with a private company for trash removal. There are about a half dozen companies to choose from, and the price is very close for all of them We pay $24 per month for weekly trash and recycling pickup.
Add pictures here
✖

My pickup is by the city; with two houses, I pay two fees for one person. It's a flat rate per address, and I generate so little that I put out perhaps one can a month. Someone who puts out one every month pays the same as I do. No way around it, though.
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
✖
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 05:17:36 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote:

We pay $11/mo tacked on to the power bill, but were able to get one of ours deferred by the health department (we have two power drops, one on each side of the road.)
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 16, 3:24 pm, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator"

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. 158ccf is the amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. Is that the same unit you are referencing?
Add pictures here
✖

I should probably have mentioned 30degrees F average daily temperature for this billing period. 2200 Square foot house, everyone home all day long, this includes heat and hot water.
Add pictures here
✖

Roughly, yes. Your local utility can adjust the ratio though.
Add pictures here
✖

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. 158ccf is the amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. Is that the same unit you are referencing?
--
CCF stands for \'hundred cubic feet\' (think of the Roman numeral for 100,
\'C\')