How many SWMBOs out there?

I notice that a lot of "guys" here refer to their wives as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). That's interesting. What's up with that? I've never seen it anywhere else.

I've never seen so many "guys" proudly pretending that they are pussy whipped. I'm wondering if this might be a case of double reverse psychology: the "guy" pretends that he's pussy whipped in the hope that people will think that he wouldn't be "pretending" if it were so. But in actually it is indeed so.

Reply to
VicP

When it is appropriate I use "SWMBO'd". I think you will find it is common practice on many user groups. Generally, at this establishment, it is probably 6 of this and half a dozen of the other. However, there are times when I feel that it is circumspect to obey SWMBO'd!

Reply to
Clot

Rumpole of the Bailey was its origination.

RicodJour

SWMBO, an acronym for "She Who Must Be Obeyed" was originally used in H. Rider Haggard's 1930s novel "She".

The book was made into a movie starring Helen Gahagan in the title role, she was a broadway stage actress, and it was her only film role. The movie used some of the sets which had beed built for the original version of "King Kong".

Gahagan married actor Michael Douglas, and using the name Helen Gahagan Douglas, she entered California politics and made a notoriously unsuccessful run for the US Senate against Tricky Dick Nixon whose campaign discredited her. She lost that election by a mile.

The term "SWMBO" was repeatedly used used by the male lead in in a Brit TV comedy series, I forget it's name.

As to your original question I dunno...

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

No, it wasn't. It originated in the novel "She" by H R Haggard.

Reply to
Doug Miller

""If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy"

Oren

I suspect the same is true of "daddy". Thankfully, there isn't much psychoanalysis going on in this newsgroup. Considering the lengthy arguments that sometimes go on in AHR, I suspect there are very few of any kind of "whipped" subjects participating. All seem able to hold their own, although some can be quick to "flip the bird".

I'm not the obedient type, nor do I expect the "other half" to obey. Reaching agreement can be a significant and satisfying challenge :o) OTOH, there are spouses who would not notice if the other painted the living room purple. Takes all kinds :o)

Reply to
norminn

Crumbs, SWMBO'd painted the whole house pink!

I'll get my coat! ;)

Reply to
Clot

Yes, as Jeff pointed out. I don't have the advantage as being quite so old of a bastard as you old bastards. ;)

Rumpole popularized it.

RicodJour

Sir Henry Rider Haggard KBE (22 June 1856 =96 14 May 1925)

Maybe you read it in the 30's....? ;)

RicodJour

Like it!

Reply to
Clot

Nor am I. I have worked with SWMBOs, that were my supervisors. Some had double top secret clearances, others did not. Don't throw me in that briar patch :-/

Reply to
Oren

Then Yahoo! a little and learn a lot. Afterwards you can go outside and enjoy that experience, too.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

It sucks to be you.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

On 10/17/2009 2:36 PM jeff_wisnia spake thus:

Um, that was Melvyn Douglas, not Michael. Mike would have been a trifle young for her.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

According to one biography, she made the beast with two backs with LBJ when both were members of Congress. She did, however, coin the phrase "Tricky Dick" (referring to Nixon) while he successfully painted her pink (as in Communist) for, among other things, opposing the House Un-American Activities Committee.

And she married MELVIN Douglas (not Michael).

Reply to
HeyBub

I won't tolerate a SWMBO, I suppose thats why I'm single. I really can't tolerate SWMBC, that one lasts about five minutes.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

???? SWMBC? Google was clueless, as am I.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

VicP wrote in news:6cd1ab7b-dfa7-4ce4-93e0- snipped-for-privacy@p25g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

She wouldn't let me respond to your post...

Reply to
Red Green

She Who Must Be Crazy. I was talking to my friends daughter when she was 23, I've known her since she was a little girl. I was explaining to her that women have a switch inside their heads that flips between the ages of 30-35, it's called "The Crazy Switch" and 20 years later it comes loose again and the woman either turns into Hillary Clinton or Mother Teresa, you never know where it will land. Her response was, "I think I've seen that in my mother....OH NO, I've only got seven years left!"

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Oil or latex? And stop talking dirty, potty mouth.

RicodJour