How many SWMBOs out there?

Page 1 of 3

I notice that a lot of "guys" here refer to their wives as SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). That's interesting. What's up with that? I've never seen it anywhere else.
I've never seen so many "guys" proudly pretending that they are pussy whipped. I'm wondering if this might be a case of double reverse psychology: the "guy" pretends that he's pussy whipped in the hope that people will think that he wouldn't be "pretending" if it were so. But in actually it is indeed so.
VicP wrote:

When it is appropriate I use "SWMBO'd". I think you will find it is common practice on many user groups. Generally, at this establishment, it is probably 6 of this and half a dozen of the other. However, there are times when I feel that it is circumspect to obey SWMBO'd!

""If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy"
http://www.tumbleweedpottery.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/products640x480/4851.jpg
Oren wrote:

http://www.tumbleweedpottery.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/products640x480/4851.jpg
I suspect the same is true of "daddy". Thankfully, there isn't much psychoanalysis going on in this newsgroup. Considering the lengthy arguments that sometimes go on in AHR, I suspect there are very few of any kind of "whipped" subjects participating. All seem able to hold their own, although some can be quick to "flip the bird".
I'm not the obedient type, nor do I expect the "other half" to obey. Reaching agreement can be a significant and satisfying challenge :o) OTOH, there are spouses who would not notice if the other painted the living room purple. Takes all kinds :o)

Crumbs, SWMBO'd painted the whole house pink!
I'll get my coat! ;)
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:52:44 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Nor am I. I have worked with SWMBOs, that were my supervisors. Some had double top secret clearances, others did not. Don't throw me in that briar patch :-/
"Clot" wrote

Snicker, and us SWMBO's appreciate it Dear!
Sadly, it works in reverse and i have to go to the hardware store in a few mins for HWMBO. Thats ok, it's his birthday tomorrow and I wanna get him a gift certificate for the local HW place so he can gleefully get us both some new toys. (There's this add on dremmel tool part I really want!)

And Daddy, don't forget my eight pack of Duracell D batteries at the HW store.............. Momma's Little Friend is getting a little weak.................
"SteveB" wrote

What I want is the small wire rotator for hard to reach small angles when refinishing furniture. LOL, What were YOU thinking of? Never mind, doesnt belong here ;-)

Does the military phrase "A good soldier picks which hill he wants to die on" make any sense to you? Some time, it is advisable to go along with a bad plan rather than face the difficulties, obstacles, and penalties of noncompliance.
Steve

Rumpole of the Bailey was its origination.

No, it wasn't. It originated in the novel "She" by H R Haggard.
On Oct 17, 5:51pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes, as Jeff pointed out. I don't have the advantage as being quite so old of a bastard as you old bastards. ;)
Rumpole popularized it.
VicP wrote:

SWMBO, an acronym for "She Who Must Be Obeyed" was originally used in H. Rider Haggard's 1930s novel "She".
The book was made into a movie starring Helen Gahagan in the title role, she was a broadway stage actress, and it was her only film role. The movie used some of the sets which had beed built for the original version of "King Kong".
Gahagan married actor Michael Douglas, and using the name Helen Gahagan Douglas, she entered California politics and made a notoriously unsuccessful run for the US Senate against Tricky Dick Nixon whose campaign discredited her. She lost that election by a mile.
The term "SWMBO" was repeatedly used used by the male lead in in a Brit TV comedy series, I forget it's name.
As to your original question I dunno...<G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Sir Henry Rider Haggard KBE (22 June 1856 14 May 1925)
Maybe you read it in the 30's....? ;)
RicodJour wrote:

Like it!
RicodJour wrote:

Your correct of course, the movie I referred to was released 1n 1935, that's what probably threw me off.
I have a VCR of that movie and also one of the 1965 remake of "She" with Ursala Andress in the title role.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Um, that was Melvyn Douglas, not Michael. Mike would have been a trifle young for her.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yer absatively right!
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

According to one biography, she made the beast with two backs with LBJ when both were members of Congress. She did, however, coin the phrase "Tricky Dick" (referring to Nixon) while he successfully painted her pink (as in Communist) for, among other things, opposing the House Un-American Activities Committee.
And she married MELVIN Douglas (not Michael).