How many men needed to bring a fridge up the stairs

I should have said that it's dangerous (to the piano) to move a piano with the sound board horizontal. Spinets and other uprights should be moved upright, and grands should be moved when they are on their side.
However these were only 300 dollar pianos** and I couldn't afford to also pay a mover. So I went only about 10 MPH on the rough parts of the road and only 25 or a little more on the very smooth parts, looking ahead to see if there were any chuckholes.
**The Wurlitzer sounded very good when my friend got it. The Winter sounded bad, even to me, when it came to my house. Maybe I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known a piano could sound bad to me. None other has, before or since. But a cheap, used piano can sound very good.

That's pretty funny.
A frequent contributor to this newsgroup wrote:

Glad to see what an impact college had on your writing ability :-)
Did you actually hire someone to clean your dorm room and provide you with a refrigerator?

College didn't seem to help you much either. Maid
One on top, to handle the hand truck. One on the bottom to lift. One replacement, to take turns with the lift man. Three sounds about right.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
mm wrote:

When my mother moved in with my grandmother to take care of her, I moved her chest freezer into the basement there. At the time, I told her it was getting sold with the house. Ten years later, that is exactly what I did. When the washer caught on fire here, and I had to buy a new one, I was able to move the new plastic-tubbed one in myself with no problem. To get the old one out, even after removing the motor and concrete counterweight, I had to go hat-in-hand around my office begging a favor, and finally found one lady whose hubby wanted a metal washer drum for a burn barrel at their camp. He came over, and with some rope and my regular handtruck, we managed to get it out. A frig dolley with the strap and the tracks on the back would have helped, but would still have taken 2 for safety.
Is the frig going elsewhere, or going away? If being replaced by a new one, slip the truck guys a $20 each, and have them do it. If going to charity, they will pick up. The 62 YO is a maybe, if he is in good shape. The other 2, no way. Guys always think of themselves as 20-somethings, able to leap tall buildings with a single bound. Sure, they tossed appliances around like beachballs back in the day, but that day was decades ago. Hire some young bucks, or guilt some young relatives into helping.
-- aem sends...
mm wrote:

If its an electric hand truck only one. You seen the ones that climb stairs? If not, two or three. One to pull and steer, one or two at the bottom to lift. Just go slow, take breaks.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

One fit person who knows what he is doing can do it alone. I used to hire a funny little guy named Fahey to do things like that. I had a huge side-by-side refrigerator with the ice and water in the door that he moved for me a few times. Fahey was about 5 foot 3 inches and wiry. Maybe 150 pounds. He moved the fridge up stairs, down stairs and anywhere that was needed by himself.
My recommendation is to hire someone before you end up with a sad story. It's REALLY not worth saving a few bucks.
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:59:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You must know that it's mostly not about the money.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Whoever moves it, get them some grip gloves if they don't have them. Sharp edges and slick sides on something going up a stairs is asking for trouble. Even those gloves with the plastic dots will help moving it much easier. Two pairs for two dollars at Dollar General or maybe it was Family Dollar.

They are all related. General Dollar fought under Chiang Kai Chek. His name is usually prented in reverse order as is the Chinese way. Family Dollar was the rest of his family.
At the close of his life, wasn't he burried under Dollar Tree?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

And thanks for the suggestion. I have leather gloves, but I also bought a couple pairs of the dot gloves. Didn't know why, but I usually use the things I buy. So this must be why.
mm wrote:

I've sworn by the dot gloves since I discovered them at around age 13 or so, close to 40 years ago. Beats the snot out of the no-dot brown gloves, which are way too slippery. I even use them as driving gloves in winter, since drive to work is too short to heat up the car enough to go bare-handed. You can actually use the dashboard controls with those, not possible with insulated gloves. For some reason, the stores around here don't always have them, or have them in the size I wear, so when I trip across them, I buy 2-3 pairs. They don't last real long under abrasive conditions, but at a buck a pair, I don't really care. Unless I get something real nasty on them, I just run them through the washer when they get funky- can't do that with most work gloves. I try to keep a clean pair in the pocket of every cool-weather coat I have. I use leather for sharp stuff, and blue nitrile for painting and caulking, but the brown dots for most everything else.
-- aem sends...

Hmmm. I never even saw them until 2 or 3 years ago!!

If the men have teenage grandsons, that would be the best bet...
Seriously, get two young guys. I wouldn't be concerned about two 62-year-olds moving a fridge, but 62 and 72 might be a little risky. Depends on the individuals, of course, but as a general rule you'd be better off with a couple of younger guys.
It's a two-man job, regardless: too heavy for one man, and three will get in each other's way.

This should not be a problem. Strapping the fridge to the dolly allows you to tip the fridge to the center of balance so one guy can roll it on a flat surface without a problem.
As for the stairs, this is only a series of small lifts where the guy on the top pulls up and the guy(s) on the bottom lift, so with 2 guys it should be doable, with three no problem.
--

Roger Shoaf

mm wrote:

I recall the story I was told by a friend when I was in Hawaii. They had a refrigerator to move up stairs and they were all fussing about how to do it when his little Japanese grandfather got fed up with with their talk. He grabbed a length of rope, threw it around the refrigerator, hauled it up on his back and took it up by himself. So all you need to do is find a Japanese grandfather and your troubles are over.
Bill

This was a great answer. I googled japanese grandfather refrigerator and got about 89,900 hits. The first one was this very thread but that still left plenty. I narrowed it down, found a likely one, and emailed him. He's willing to come next week, but I have to pay the plane fare, $600, and provide the rope.
I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I'll tell you better in 2 yrs, but I can't imagine asking for help if I had to do that & I'm 58, 10 yrs beyond a 'cardiac event'- and have chronic fatigue syndrome.
It is *all* I would do that week, but with a decent hand-truck it isn't a major job.
Jim
mm wrote:

In 'Gran Torino,' Eastwood's character - about 75 - and the kid from next door moved a freezer from the basement to the driveway.
One person could do your job if he disassembled the refrigerator first.