How many gallons of gasoline would it take to charge an iPhone?

Page 3 of 3
On Jun 22, 9:50pm, "Stormin Mormon"

LOL I'm trying to figure out how proprietary equates to being the main reason batteries are bad on the environment too. Like a lot of people are going to want to buy a new cell phone without a battery and instead use the 4 year old one from another phone instead? And what about all the non-rechargeable batteries out there, ie your basic AA's etc? You don't recharge them even once.
As for needing more than one battery for a cell phone, no need here. My phone lasts a week on a charge because I don't use it all that much. And if I need to charge it, it charges fully in a couple hours. I can go from dead to enough power for a day in probably 20 mins. I also have a car charger, so if I'm going somewhere I can charge it that way.
On 6/23/2012 9:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Its pretty simple. A lot of cellphone batteries have similar capacity batteries that use the same chemistry so they have the same voltage and charging characteristics but the molded case is slightly different for each model phone. So you get a new phone and find the batteries from your old phone don't fit and unless you find someone who has the exact model you had they can't use the batteries either. Given there are close to 200 million cellphones in use that represents a few "excess" batteries.
Seems reasonable that we shouldn't think about it since we already throw away batteries it doesn't make sense to consider how we can throw away less.

The batteries from a 2YO (at least) phone aren't worth salvaging. Confining batteries to a "standard" form factor will greatly limit innovation since the battery is, by far, the largest component in the phone. Shaping the battery is a large part of designing a new phone. No thanks.

False premise.

No question it has some effect on the number of batteries. But it's a big leap to turn that into it being the "main reason batteries are bad on the environment". There are one hell of a lot of batteries out there, of all kinds. My cell phone uses exactly one of them and I replace it every 4 years. And like most people, at that point I would not want to take a 4 year old battery and put it into a new phone. The battery new battery is essentially free or small in the price of the new phone. Suppose you gave out phones minus the batteries, how many service complaints, returned phones, etc would that cause the cell phone company because people put a crap battery in a new phone and it doesn't work right?
Now look around at all the non-rechargeables in everything from watches, to TV remotes, smoke detectors, flashlights, toys that get tossed all the time. I'm not saying there isn't some effect. I just take exception when some hippie claims that it's the "main problem" or that it's a big deal.

You go right ahead. Take that new battery that comes with the cell phone and sell it on Ebay, if it makes you feel better.
On 6/23/2012 3:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

It is a little harder to consider all of the angles but often the truth lies in the middle....

The point is the hippie know it all types never consider even the most basic angles. It's way above their level of understanding.
On 6/24/2012 12:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

If you were say a teetotaler and also didn't like folks who drank and were tasked with interviewing folks and categorizing drinking habits would you simply record that the range of the guy who said he had a sip of champagne at his daughters wedding to the guy who says he needs a screwdriver just to get going in the morning as alcoholics?
If the guy who presented a reasonable observation about rechargeable batteries is a "hippie know it all" what would ALGore be?
Often the truth lies in the middle.

The only problem is, the observation isn't reasonable.
"Cellphones should be made with batteries that pop in and out easily so you can be using one and charging one. The main reason batteries are bad on the environment is they are all proprietary. "
Out of all the batteries, of all types, discarded every day, we're supposed to believe that cell phone batteries that serve basicly the life of the phone, are the main problem with batteries and the environment? And what percent of the overall waste disposal do they represent that we're about to "fix"?
Then we have the silly idea that you should take the old battery from a phone and put it in a brand new one. How many people would want to do that? Would you do that with any other new product? And how much more waste, cost, and service problems would it generate? Cell phones and batteries would now have to be packaged and sold seperately. Think of the trees for all that packaging and shelving. Last time I checked, cell phone companies charge $25 for a battery. How about they decide to give you the phone for free, but charge for the battery? Before buying a new phone, you'd have to figure out which phones would fit the battery you have.
And then there is the little matter of form factor and size. I've changed cell phones since the early days about every 4 years. During that period, it was either impossible or very unlikely that the old battery could even be used. That's because the cell phones have shrunk in size dramatically in just a few years. And the form factor has changed as well.
So, sorry, but this indeed hippie dream world where someone has a brainfart, blows something all out of proportion, and doesn't think through the most basic issues with the idea.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 06:08:56 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

That's why USB is such a great idea for a charging source. USB ports are everywhere. Increasing the USB current from .5A to 2A will help a lot.