How many amps?

I'm trying to buy new programmable thermostats for my electic baseboards. Problem is, existing (mechanical Honeywell line) thermostats are rated

22amps but most of the programmable ones I see are rated around 16-20 amps.

Did someone just install some overkill thermostats or do I really need ones rated at 22amps?

I tried researching heaters that I have but couldn't find any info.

Reply to
michael.lipin

How many watts are your heaters? W ÷ V = A

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That I'm not sure. It's an electric baseboard, the thermostat is a single pole, 240v. It's pretty much just spliced into the line going to the heater.

Each baseboard has its own thermostat.

Reply to
michael.lipin

If these thermostats actually switch the heater then you will need that much current. Since most 110V AC branch circuits are rated for 20A max the extra 2 amps is overhead.

If the thermostat switches a remote relay in the heater (as in most central heating systems) then the extra current is way overkill as the thermostat is most likly switching 12V and less than 1A

Reply to
PipeDown

Having a switch with a higher current rating is never a problem. There is probably no difference in cost either. Since the heaters are directly wired, and having 220V, 20A switch, you can have a heater up to 4800 watts.

Reply to
PipeDown