how long will it take to aerate 1 acre?

I am going to rent an aerator and it's $50/4 hrs. . I cannot fit it in my car and I'm thinking of approaching my neighbor and splitting it with him since he has a pickup truck. the combined acreage of both of our lawns is about 1 acre. Is it possible to aerate 1 acre correctly in 4 hours?

Reply to
Joe

How far is the rental place from your acre? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

The rental place should be able to give you a ballpark figure for square feet per hour. An acre is around 45,000 sq ft.

If the aerator covers a 2ft width then you'll walk about 4 miles to cover an acre. A normal walking pace is 2-3mph, so 4 hours should give you enough time.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Frozen ground areates itself upon thawing, worms do it all summer. I say a waste of money, its just a way for landscapers to sucker out extra bucks.

Reply to
ransley

Or maybe just a good raking to remove old thatch.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

how wide is it? is it a pull behind (your lawn tractor) or a self propelled walkbehind? Either way, 4 hours should be more than plenty. However, you won't get a good "do" unless your soil is somewhat moist at the time. If it's hard and dry, you'll only pull about 1" plugs out.

Steve Barker

43,560 sq ft.
Reply to
Steve Barker

To do one acre will take exactly 4 hours and 1 minute including travel time.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

4 hours rental should be enough time to aerate an acre, assuming about one hour is wasted in transit, loading/unloading, etc. and that the area is reasonably open, not requiring lots of stopping and turning. If it's just one big rectangle, it goes a lot faster.
Reply to
trader4

keep in mind you don't aerate like you mow. meandering, overlapping, general directional sloppiness, all which increase speed, are acceptable when aerating.

Reply to
Joe

Apparently you've never tried growing grass in Illinois clay at low elevation, or in areas where the developer stripped to clay then applied little topsoil. I agree that it's a waste if you have decent soil, but with compacted clay soil aeration works wonders.

Reply to
RickH

My strategy on rentals is to pick it up at the end of their workday, giving me a little slack time for half the travel time.

Reply to
C & E

my local joint only charges one day if picked up after noon on saturday. Due in by 9am monday.

Reply to
Steve Barker

No never clay thats true, but Illinois yes. The thing is where I am everyone has good dirt, and lawn services still push areation just for extra money, not because its needed. Muching grass and fall leaves will over years amend clay to a better top soil.

Reply to
ransley