How long should drywall prep take?

Page 2 of 2
RicodJour wrote:

Your head is screwed on straight.
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Who said they don't take days off? They took Sunday off which I expected and don't begrudge them, but they also didn't show today at all. And your analysis is full of holes. Why should someone get a medal if they drag ass and take 10 hours to do something that should reasonably take 2 hours? You're probably not familiar with this concept, but in lots of places they actually have standards for performance.
Let me guess, you're in the business and you don't like being held to what you say you're going to do.

Some here indicated it should have taken 2 or 3. The 5th day has yet to happen.

Says who? They're already going to almost double their own projection.

You don't even make sense. Given that there's still paint and trim to be done, none of it happens until these guys get done, and there's carpeting after that. Again, some here have indicated it should have taken 2 or 3 days. At what point wouldst thou allow that "impatience" is warranted? Particularly when it's been indicated that the original time frame is already too long? At double the projected time frame? Triple?
We're not talking about building a nuclear power plant, it's a straightforward drywall job on 2 bedrooms and a garage ceiling with no complications.

If I was that familiar with the process I would have mentioned it. That's why I asked the question I asked in here. And as I mentioned, I did ask these guys specifically how long it would take. They said 4 days which means the job should have been done yesterday and I could be getting on with life.
Doc wrote:

You should be getting on with it anyway. Regardless of how annoying you find the few days of dealy, having a malfunction over it won't make it go any quicker, won't make you any happier and will most likely make things worse for everyone involved.
You are learning a lesson, free of charge. If you have specific requirements they need to be addressed, agreed upon and documented ahead of time.
If you have problems with the schedule and want to bitch at someone, try the guy you're paying.

Free of charge my ass, they're being paid.
By the way, am I right about you being in the business?
Doc wrote:

Yes, but you're not paying extra for it. Hence, free of charge.

Which business?
Is this the first time you've had work done on your house?

Completely unwarranted cheap shot at one of the most helpful guys here. You must really be on edge.
You have several options: 1) Go along with good humour and do not bitch to us or to the tapers. You will at least get the job finished. 2) Bitch to the tapers about their "irresponsible and unprofessional behavior" . Be sure to tell them they are taking longer than several people in an internet newsgroup thinks they should. 3) Fire them, hire someone else or do it yourself.
Yes, I am in the business. And no, I don't mind being accountable for what I say I will do. Whether your people are acting in bad faith, are victims of bad luck or whatever, no one here can do more than guess.
I can tell you that yours is a very small job ... no one likes small jobs, even in a climate where work is hard to find. More, you don't strike me as a prince to work for.
Ken

what
It's a completely appropriate response to his editorializing. Nothing "on edge" about it. I asked a simple question and he feels he's qualified to tell me how I should feel about a situation.

They liked it enough to take it. And the size of the job warrants being slow about it? Logic would dictate they'd do it and be done with it.
Beside which, I hardly think they consider this job "too small". They'd been on the job about an hour or less, I was talking to the son inside the house, and went out in the garage to find the father lying on floor of the garage. He was complaining about feeling run down. If the guy's not just a slacker and the relatively small amount of work early in the day truly was kicking his ass, this seems to be as large a job as they could handle.

Well let's, see. The first day they got there - 2 hours late from the time I was told they'd be here - I listened to this guy whine about his messed up life, getting hosed in business, his physical ailments, etc. etc. He asked if I had any ice, I made them a pitcher of ice water since after years in the business he didn't have the foresight to bring a cooler with Gatorade, ice water, whatever, like every construction crew I've ever seen.
Allow me to direct you where to place your opinion.
Doc wrote:

You're right. I've changed my mind. Please feel free to get all worked up.
You posted back in August about a contractor's agreement http://tinyurl.com/9m6j6 Is this the same contractor that you were asking about back then? ABC American Building Contractors - Insurance Restoration Services, Inc?

No, different folks altogether. I didn't feel comfortable with them and the concensus on here didn't do anything to contradict that.
And I do appreciate your input on that query.
However....
Btw, up to this point, things have gone quickly. The GC is well known in the area, and has been easy to get along with. The roof went on quick and from my inspection of it, seems to be far more secure than the previous.
My suspicion is these guys are friends of his and he's throwing them a bone.
Doc wrote:

I'm glad to hear that. That was one scary contract.

Or maybe the taper father gave the GC his first job in the business - you never know. It's also possible the GC is doing you a favor. I know there's a big demand for construction workers in your area, and you're comparing the tapers speed to some theoretical taping crew. Maybe the GC made the right decision and considering who he had to choose from, chose the guys you have now as the best choice to get the job done with the minimum amount of headaches (not none - that's also theoretical).
Doc wrote:

Welcome to the world of rockers. I don't know if it is true generally but around here about the only group with a worse rep are child molesters.
When I guilt my house I was the GC. When I was ready for rock my drywall contractor sent a crew of three...three guys who looked and acted like the Scraggs from L'il Abner. NP if they could work but they couldn't...no coordination among them, slow, late, sloppy. Had trouble breathing and growing hair simultaneously. After two days I told the contractor to send someone else. He did.
Next group was OK. Don't recall the hangers but the taper flew. Unfortunately, after maybe three days he flew north to take a vacation.
Third crew was fine - especially the hangers. I cultivated them...long day?...here's $20, have a pizza and beer on me, see you early tomorrow. Taper was OK too. After they finished the 180 or so boards my only problem was with the owner...he wanted to do the cement board himself and I had to push like crazy to get him to do so. Ditto for him to clean up all the out the window stuff.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
Client to Teamster:
How many men, and how long will it take to move this furniture?
Teamster to Client:
Who cares?
You got a problem with that?
Messing with a sub makes as much sense as messing with your barber or cook. If you don't like him, just fire his ass and get another.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

I tell that one slightly differently: How many Teasmsters does it take to change a lightbulb? Six. You got a problem with that? No! Just asking...

Sorry to hear that. I'm in manufacturing and had the day off.