how long does refinishing floor take to dry?

This is in the northeast region (Boston) and it's a 20x13 space oak strip floors.

A contractor said 1 day to sand and finish and 2 days to dry. I'm wondering if he's being optimistic in 2 days of drying since it's been very humid here lately. I'm wondering if it will still be too soft to move furniture on to it on the 4th day since thats my moving (into ) day.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike

Running your central air can really speed up the drying time. The cooling really sucks the moisture out of the air and if it gets too cold, then just turn the heat for a few minutes and do it again ... and again...

Reply to
JimL

It depends on what finish he is using and how many coats. If Oil based Polyeurethane, that timing is about right (though it will be dry enough to walk on in socks much sooner). If he were using watrer based stuff like Varathane It should be a bit faster.

In the end, its a judgement call when to furnish the room. I just try and dig a fingernail in the floor in the corner, If I can't do it, its ready (also I check the smell, it should be almost gone when fully cured).

Reply to
PipeDown

If only I had central air. I could put the window units in but I'm not sure I could reach them to turn them off and on. How about fans blowing on it?

Reply to
Mike

Thanks, I think he said 2 coats but someone suggested 3 if I wanted it to last.

Would using fans on it help speed up the process?

Reply to
Mike

Yes it will be unless you are VERY careful.

Been there and done that. With oil based poly allow 48 hours for first coat and 24 more for second coat. It still will not achieve full hardness for up to 6 months. Place all furniture on carpet scraps or furniture glides for at least the first 6 months. Don't drag anything across the floor for the same amount of time. Really!

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Using fans will help spread dust on it if done too soon.

There is dry and there is dry. It will be dry to the touch in an hour or so, (and dust proof) but it will not be really cured for about 24 hours or so. Yes, you can walk on it, but I'd not put anything heavy for a while. The curing is a chemical process that just takes time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Mike - If he is doing two coats in one day he is certainly using water based. Two days is fine. Many water based floor finishes can be walked on in an hour or two. The 2 days is for the final cure.

I would prefer 3 coats if he can do it in that first day. Fans may help the drying but if you can wait the 2 days I wouldn't worry about it. Just be careful moving and put down some cardboard to walk on (Dont tape it, tape could lift the new finish)

Reply to
No

contractor just called me and said

oil - sealer + 2 coats of finish takes 10 days to cure (you can walk on it within 24 hours but wouldn't put any furniture on until 3 days )

water - 4 coats cures in 3 days but more durable over time

Water is more expensive by abouy 400 dollars but it sounds like the right choice.

I don't want to go cheap on this and regret it in 3 years.

thanks

Reply to
Mike

Sure. Fans will help a little. Refrigerated air will help a lot.

.
Reply to
JimL

Install air conditioner, turn off and on if needed using circuit breakers at main panel.

dont rush this, and if I though floors got multiple coats of polyurtethane, over a period of days with drying time between coats

Reply to
hallerb

i had water base put on a bedroom floor. i waited 7 days to put furniture back in. read the label of product, it will tell you how long it takes to cure.

Reply to
dkarnes

contractor just called me and said

oil - sealer + 2 coats of finish takes 10 days to cure (you can walk on it within 24 hours but wouldn't put any furniture on until 3 days )

water - 4 coats cures in 3 days but more durable over time

Water is more expensive by abouy 400 dollars but it sounds like the right choice.

I don't want to go cheap on this and regret it in 3 years.

Reply to
Mike

I thought of that too. but this is what I know so far

contractor just called me and said

oil - sealer + 2 coats of finish takes 10 days to cure (you can walk on it within 24 hours but wouldn't put any furniture on until 3 days )

water - 4 coats cures in 3 days but more durable over time

Water is more expensive by abouy 400 dollars but it sounds like the right choice.

I don't want to go cheap on this and regret it in 3 years.

Reply to
Mike

Hmmm - Water based more expensive? Not around here, no way. Lasts longer? Never hear of that. Generally its cheaper overall because of less labor. Multiple coats in same day versus a day between coats.

As for the cost of materials. A quick check turned up this difference in one brand (Varathane) Water Based $54

Based $94
Water based is good, don't get me wrong, generally an oil based job, multiple coats, is considered the best quality. I would rather have 3 coats of water based than 2 of oil. Thats just my gut feel.

For what its worth, I did my own floor, used water based. Sanded, sealed, and did three coats, with a light screening between coats, in one day. Moved in a few days later, lived there for 6 years and floor was still going strong when I left.

Reply to
No

i went with water because the rest of the house was oil. i wanted to see how the white oak looked, with out it yellowing. i will do the rest of the house with water over time.

Reply to
dkarnes

PLEASE NOTE!

If the floor has any existing odor issues say from urine etc use ONLY OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE!

Outdoor is water resistant!

If you use regular indoor poly wet weather can soften the finish and allow the odor to reoccur

Reply to
hallerb