How long does it take a truck to stop & is it criminal if he doesn't?

Page 6 of 7

I think downshifting fits the question too.

To some extent - not terribly effective with an automatic trans and/or no Jake.
On 7/13/14, 12:06 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I looked it up, and I'm a little confused. I believe an engine brake simply lets the compression out the exhaust valve, while an exhaust brake saves it in a container. I understand the exhaust brake isn't good for heavy-duty engines. I believe the jake is the former, the one that simply lets it out the exhaust valve, and it's pretty quiet with a proper muffler. Some truckers cheat and make a racket.

Actually I found my PT cruiser to be quite capable. Not fast, or quick, but capable. And vdry versatile. But I did replace it with an old pickup truck
On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 11:28:05 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote:

No it is not required for big trucks. While some similar hills have areas set aside for truckers, it is only required to stop when posted. Having been a US trucker, nationwide, there are only a handfull of hills in the country where I will stop and check the brakes before going down. Otherwise, if I can, I'll just stop at the top and sit for a minute or two.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 22:43:24 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

This formula does not apply to big trucks.
Stopping distance in a truck also depends on how and where the load is placed.
On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 00:58:51 -0500, deadrat wrote:

Here's a simple experiment to confirm your stance on this. Take a standard pickup truck, empty, to a race track. Obtain a speed of 60mph and hit the brakes. Measure the stopping distance. Now load the bed with sand and repeat. I"m sure you will find that it takes longer to stop.

Engine braking, on any engine, is using the compression of the engine to slow down the vehicle. On gasoline engines it works pretty easily by just closing the throttle and allowing the engine to try to suck air through a closed door. Diesels do not have (generally speaking) a throttle, so there is no "inherent" engine braking. An "exhaust brake" plugs the exhaust, causing the engine to run as an air compressor, which absorbs power and slows down the vehicle. A "jake" brake works by controlling the exhaust valves, The exhaust valves are opened just before TDC under no fuel conditions, evacuating the compressed air into the exhaust. If the valve was not opened, the compressed air would push the piston back down, recovering the energy required to compress the air by returning that enegry to the drive train.
On 7/13/14, 2:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I wonder why opening the exhaust valve early and letting air out, would make more noise than opening a little later and letting hot exhaust out.
J Burns wrote:

The air is highly compressed, when that valve opens it's a lot like a backfire in a gas engine. The normal exhaust doesn't exit under pressure, the valve opens as the piston starts coming back up and just pushed the spent fuel gases out.
An exhaust brake is simple, it's just a simple valve in the exhaust.
--
Steve W.

On 7/14/14, 12:59 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Until now, I imagined that exhaust gas was under high pressure when the valve opened. It makes sense that an engine would be designed for the lowest possible exhaust pressure: more efficient.
My old BMW motorcycle was surprisingly quiet with unbaffled megaphones. I guess the valves opened with less pressure than some bikes.

It means he was driving too fast for conditions. 40MPH on a 6% grade is just being totally stupid, even if the speed limit is 60. Control speed with a jake on an average rig is closer to 25MPH
On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:20:00 -1000, dsi1

I would strongly agree that the training required to get a truck licence is inadequate and there are WAY too many guys out there driving vehicles WAY beyond their competence level. Get them into an out-of-the-ordinary situation and they don't have a clue what to do, or how.
On 7/13/2014 8:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's been a lot of years. I remember hear about a driver who was tired. He got his rig up to 70 MPH and put the cruise control on. He left his 10 year old daughter at the wheel, and went to the sleeper to zone out. The road had a construction area, and the daughter tried her best, wrecked the truck on the side of the road.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You can depend onsomeone cutting you off and taking away your buffer zone - so you NEED to adjust your speed accordingly - approach the downhill at reduced speed - preferably close to "control speed" so the brakes are not required to maintain the speed. A good Jake can be worth it's weight in gold.
Steve W. wrote, on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 20:14:23 -0400:

They use drum brakes?
On 7/14/2014 5:26 PM, Jesse Davis wrote:

Many trucks still have drum brakes...that's the breaks.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:26:43 +0000 (UTC), Jesse Davis

The VAST majority of big rigs still use air operated drum brakes

Yes. If you can't see around a corner you should slow down- particularly if you have 8 axles under you and 20 or more tons behind you.

That is also an abuse of police power too. A little common sense and a quick conversation when the drive came out should have resolved an incident like that.
I know of a case where the driver was at a highway rest stop. OK, he had to drive to get there to sleep it off, but this was not the case here. And cops wonder why a lot of people hate them and don't trust them.