How long does it take a truck to stop & is it criminal if he doesn't?

Page 1 of 7
What distance does a sand truck take to slow down on a 6% grade? If it can't stop in that distance, is it criminal? http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/fatal-big-rig-crash-shut-down-highway-17/ngcnY/
This accident yesterday blocked the highway for 10 hours, with the CHP saying it was a crime scene where one person died. http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_26123628/multi-vehicle-injury-crash-shuts-down-northbound-highway
The driver is quoted in that article as saying he had too much speed with too much weight with too little distance.
How long does it take a truck to stop & is it criminal if it doesn't stop in that distance?
On 7/11/14, 3:33 PM, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

It was criminal in this case where the owner allowed a defective truck to be operated over a steep grade.
articles.courant.com/2013-06-12/news/hc-avon-mountain-wilcox-release-0612-20130611_1_barbara-bongiovanni-dump-truck-abdulraheem-naafi
The driver in the CA crash should probably not been driving a double-bottom yet, due to inexperience.
"Singh's two trailers were fully loaded with dirt.
He said he has been a truck driver for not quite three months,"
On 7/11/14 2:33 PM, Ann Marie Brest wrote:

d = V^2/(2*g*(f + G))
Where: d = Braking Distance (ft) g = Acceleration due to gravity (32.2 ft/sec2) G = Roadway grade as a percentage V = Initial vehicle speed (ft/sec) f = Coefficient of friction between the tires and the roadway
So if the truck were going 55mph, that would be about 80 feet per second.
The coefficient of friction for treaded tires is about .7 on dry roads.
d = (80*80)/(2*32*(.7+.06))
or about 132 feet (from the time the driver hits the brakes). Assuming a lot of things, like the brakes don't burn out.

Of course not. The driver must have been doing something recklessly negligent before it's criminal.
<snip/>
On 7/11/14, 4:25 PM, deadrat wrote:

Where is vehicle weight or number of tires/brakes taken into consideration ?
On 7/11/2014 3:48 PM, Retired wrote:

It isn't as it's immaterial. Two identical trucks, with the same tires, driving the same speed, traveling on the same pavement will stop in the same distance regardless of one being filled with concrete and the other empty.
On Friday, July 11, 2014 8:30:48 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Says who? I have two identical trucks, but one weighs twice as much because it contains concrete. It's kinetic energy is twice that of the empty truck. If what you claim is true, explain the conservation of energy.

Someday, I'll pilot an empty, and you take a truck full of gravel, and we'll try it. Not that I've driven truck, but the vehicles I've driven, it's different.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Not at all. Deceleration is calculated as acceleration, inverted (both are limited by friction limit of tires on pavement).
it's force over mass. If mass didn't count, we'd just move the Space Station up in one go rather than a hundred trips!
And that's why my 140hp 1 ton car zips around 3500lb cars of similar power.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 9:31:59 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Their point is that tire friction on pavement is not a constant. The more mass, the more force pressing the tires to the pavement and the more friction. The increased friction decreases the stopping distance, while the increased mass lengthens it. No question the effect is there, the only part I'm skeptical about is that one closely cancels out the other. I'd like to see some real world test results.

On 7/11/14 3:48 PM, Retired wrote:

The vehicle weight (actually its mass) makes no difference as Galileo showed when he dropped a Mack truck and a VW beetle from the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
On 7/11/2014 10:54 PM, deadrat wrote:

I thought he was Italian. Wouldn't it been Italian cars? VW is German.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/12/14 6:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There was no Italian car industry in Galileo's time. Fiat didn't begin manufacturing until at least a decade of his death. So the Italians had to import all their cars from Germany. That's why Galileo dropped a VW.
Silly mistake. I'll bet your face is red.
On 7/12/2014 1:34 PM, deadrat wrote:

Oh, gosh. I am so embarassed. I might not be able to post again, for hours.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/12/14 12:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't kid a kidder. You can't even spell "embarrassed."
Don't wait for hundreds of minutes. Get right back up on that horse.
deadrat wrote:

Hi, Heavier mass accelrates more increasing speed.
Retired wrote:

Hi, Those needs different calculations. Driver said speed was too high meaning he was going over the speed limit? From there accident happened. That is criminal. Also did he check the brakes B4 heading down the hill? That is a requirement for big trucks.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, Also no runaway lane there? He should use it if there was one.
On 7/12/14 12:28 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Not in California. It's against the vehicle code.

Could you cite the section of the California Vehicle Code that mandates this?
deadrat wrote:

Hi, Law has to regulate every thing in our lives? That sort of things are common sense. I live in the foothills, often drive in the Rockies. We have runaway lanes on critical hill, brake check stop turn out at the bottom of hills(passes) every where. When flat plains folks come out here some of them freeze in the mountain roads. They are so scared. This week 4 people from overseas died colliding head on. Both in rented car and motor home. Just couldn't control there vehicles in winding hilly narrow road with wild animals roaming,etc. Unless one encounters unexpected mechanical failure, driver should be in control at all times. I drove big trucks as a kid, my dad used to own transportation company. How about driving a fully loaded 4x4 truck grinding up the winding hill for supply run. You can't see ahead, one hand is holding a guiding rope strung on the side of the hill, if you let go the rope, maybe you're going off the edge. DMZ, in Korea. Have you driven on a switch back roads? Driven Northern Italian Alps? Or going to Amalfi from Tuscany in S, Italy. Or Road going out to Hanna in Hawaii in the pitch dark night?
On 7/12/14 1:05 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

No, but in the discussion on misc.legal of criminal liability for this collision, it's important to know whether there's a legal requirement that trucks check their breaks before heading down a steep grade.

Common sense won't determine what happens to the driver of the truck in question.

Thanks for sharing your fascinating personal history. Just for myself, I'd love to hear more about your experience as a kid driving the big rigs, not to mention your penchant for traveling around the world looking for dangerous places to drive. Maybe you should take that to alt.talk.misc.whocares.