How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?

Tthe 40 lb bag. How long does it last, if say I burned a fire 8 hours a day or longer? Thanks.
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:22:21 -0800, needin4mation wrote:

The question can't be answered. Depends on how hot/fast you are running the stove. Why don't you just try it, and find out?
Linux Registered User #327951
Because I don't want to spend $2000 on a stove for an experiment.
In a 24 hour day I burn approx. 40-60 pounds.
That's sounds like it could be VERY expensive.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

At the current price of about $200/ton, wood pellets are about half the cost per BTU compared to propane or fuel oil. Natural gas is still cheaper, but that could change if the price surges this Winter.
take a look at
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/fuel_value_calculator.pdf
how much pellet wood you consume is a function of how big a fire you're burning
which is driven by: size of heated space indoor temp building insulation outdoor conditions
asking "How long does a bag of wood stove pellet last?"
is like asking "How long will a 40 lb bag of dog food last?"
forever if you don't have a dog, not very long if you're running a dog team everyday
cheers Bob

Hmmm.... I wonder if dogfood will burn in a pellet stove. No reason why it shouldn't.

All wood gives off about the same amount of heat PER POUND. Last year a face chord of firewood was about $50.00 to $60.00. A ton of pellets was $180.00. A face chord of wood weighs about 1000 pounds so 2 face chord weigh about the same as a ton of pellets. So wood is 2/3 the cost of pellets for the same amount of heat. In the advertisements they show a smiling guy emptying a bag of pellets into the stove like the last time he did it was a week ago. I can burn 150 pounds of wood per day when it is cold out. That's almost four 40 pound bags PER DAY. Either way, it's a lot of work. I think getting one of those ventless heaters is the way to go. We use one when it is 35 or more outside because the wood stove would make it too hot in the house. They are not recommended for heating your house, just supplemental heat. We have no problem with moisture, running it.
--
JerryD(upstateNY)

A better question would be how many BTU's per bag. Greg
Greg O wrote:

Wood pellets average 8200 BTU/pound, so a 40 pound bag has about 330K BTUs. The newer stoves are probably 85%+ efficient, so that yields about 279K BTUs of delivered heat per 40# bag.