How Long Do Water Heaters Live?

Yes they do. Electrics heat the water at a slower rate and the element is immersed. That makes for a lot less stress on the tank then basically having a fire under it that gets hot quick and then cools.

Reply to
Colbyt

Can't remember on the 35 y/o one(the 1995 death). The 51 year old one is a Rheem.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

posting a question about the lifetime of your water heater.

you could also say something like "my water heater is built like a brick, it''ll never leak"

murphys law, go figgure

Reply to
Tater

Tips for longer life from a HW tank.

buy a oversize tank, like 75 gallons less stress on the tank.

a 40 gallon tank gets emptied too fast and too often the temperature swings expanssion and contraction lead to earlier failure.

buy a 12 year guarantee tank, costs more but has heavier better materials, that naturally cost more.

you can check change anode but may not be able to get it apart and theres a chance cause a leak requiring immediate replacement.

buy a tank with a brass drain valve or ideally upgrade to a ball valve for easy draining. Although I quit doing this years ago. plastic drain valves are junk and only designed to empty the tank once at its end of life.

remember new tanks arent bad news, they have better foam insulation and all that sediment is gone, giving better recovery.

I prefer to pick the time to replace mine rather than deal with a flood at a inconvenient time......

Reply to
hallerb