How long after plaster to paint?

Hey all, Got the plaster guy showing up tommorow. Blue board/skim coat. He says

4days til prime. Sound reasonable? Thanks,

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

No. Depends on the primer and the local environment. Is this an April 1 post?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Not April fools at all. Why would the type of primer matter? Does the 4 days seem to short/long? Local enviro is Mass. When I did my second floor I waited almost 30days, simply because there were a lot of other things going on. This is my first floor bath, anxious to get it back to working order.

Reply to
Brian V

I think some primers or paints might recommend 30 days .. I am sure I have seen that advice on labels.

Reply to
Norminn

Sorry Brian ... I am jaded.

The type of primer matters because there are two basic bases: oil and water/latex.

Get yourself to a good paint store and get their recommendations.

Water based (latex) primer could be OK at this point in time.

There is some really bad information offered forth on this group, by the way.

Go to a good paint store!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

And some really excellent information as well.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Latex can be applied sooner than oil based.

IMO a week after with latex, 30 days for oil based. 4 dry ventilated days might be good for latex.

Better yet is to trust your contractor or a local FULL service paint store.

Reply to
Colbyt

ask the plaster contractor.

some years ago a friend had a home built, he waited 6 months.

it doesnt have to be painted to use the bathroom

Reply to
hallerb