How is Good Friday (tommorrow) treated in the USA?

Here in Canada, "Good Friday" (which is tommorrow) is treated the same as Christmas day, labor day, thanksgiving Monday and New Years day.
In other words, there are "bank" holidays and then there are *real* holidays (where pretty much everything is closed).
On all of those days mentioned above, pretty much all commerce grinds to a halt (except for gas stations and restaurants).
How is Good Friday treated in the US?
Are most workplaces, schools, stores (etc) closed?
Next Monday is "Easter Monday". Here in Canada, that's treated like a "bank holiday". No banks are open, no primary schools (highschools, grade schools, etc) are open, and anyone with a gov't job (federal, provincial, municipal, etc) doesn't go to work. But all retail or other commercial workplaces will be open.
How is "Easter Monday" treated in the US?
How is it that you don't know how to mark off topic posts OT?
On 4/5/2012 10:02 PM, Ron wrote:

And one has to wonder why someone who hates the US so much is so clueless about what he hates...
On 4/5/2012 9:45 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Canada has Labour Day, not labor day.

Haw haw haw!
"Home Guy" really is a Kanadian retard. Even more 'tardish than I originally gave him credit for being.
"Home Guy" probably also likes to end every sentence with "eh" when conversing with Americans. What a goof.
"Home Guy" is the sort of Kanadian that makes some other Canadians embarrassed to be Canadian. Plus he can't spell, and he has difficulty with capitalization and punctuation. He's obviously a product of the Kanadian government school system.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

From someone that claims to know so much about the US, he sure don't know shit. No big surprise, typical of a troll
On 4/5/2012 9:37 PM, Tegger wrote:

Hardly worth mentioning.
"Golly, he didn't capitalize Thanksgiving!"
On Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:23:40 PM UTC-5, Duesenberg wrote:

He was talking to US and therefore used the correct spelling!
Many regional areas close at noon on Friday. Schools are closed Friday.
Home guy has Labor Day without U?
On 4/5/2012 9:45 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Canada has Labour Day, not labor day.
On 4/5/2012 9:45 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Considering all the French you got there, I bet you don't close your liquor stores.
Hugh Jass wrote:

In Ontario, all liquor stores are closed today (Good friday) also on Sunday (Easter Sunday). Normally they are open on Sundays.
I should add that Easter Sunday is also treated the same as Good friday -> ie no commerce (nothing is open) except for gas stations and restaurants.
In some Canadian cities that have "designated tourist zones" (border cities, Toronto, etc) there are some zones or districts in those cities that are exempt from these holiday laws and are open for business (the Eaton Center in Toronto being a notable example).

The french are concentrated in the province of Quebec - and I really have no idea what their retails laws are regarding the Easter holidays (friday, sunday and monday).
On 04/05/12 09:45 pm, Home Guy wrote:

I arrived in the US for graduate school (a Protestant theological seminary, in fact) on Christmas Eve many years ago. My first real culture shock was when I walked past my bank a week or so before Easter and saw a sign announcing that the bank would be closed from noon to 3pm on "Good Friday"; "Huh!?" I thought; "You mean that it's not a public/bank/national holiday?" I was even more surprised later when I discovered that some of the seminary professors would still be holding their regular classes on Good Friday.
Some educational institutions arrange their "spring break" to include the Easter weekend.
I was pleased to see an announcement yesterday that one company with which I do business would be closed all day Good Friday.
Even if it were an "official" holiday (like Labor Day or Memorial Day), only government workers and members of decent trades unions would be guaranteed a paid holiday. For the rest, it's up to the employer.
No such thing as Easter Monday in the USA, AFAIK. Stores, etc., will be open on Monday, just as most of them are today and will be on Easter Sunday.
Perce
On 04/06/12 07:13 am, I wrote:

I forgot to mention that many US "Protestant" churches do not even have a service on Good Friday. They have a Maundy Thursday service in the evening, then nothing else until Easter Sunday, sometimes at their regular worship time(s), sometimes very early (approx. "sunrise")
Perce
On 4/5/2012 8:45 PM, Home Guy wrote:

It's long been a family tradition to call in sick claiming we have a severe case of galactorrhea which has inflamed our dipsomania.
Then we all gather around and sing "Good Friday" carols around the TV which is decorated with dried animal parts.
Then we slap each other twice on the forehead then once on the bottom of the foot. Signifying the Good Friday's kangaroo journey from Milan to Minsk.
We then immediately separate. One walks, one runs, one drives and the other hops like a kangaroo.
When we come back we repeat the process until the stroke of midnight. Exhausting but so worth it!
On Apr 6, 8:07am, gonjah <gonjah.net> wrote:

Makes more sense than most of the church services. I think I will join you.
Harry K
As an American I am sincerely embarrassed by the first few responses and apologize.
Top posting was deliberate. Don't complain.
Gary
"Home Guy" wrote in message
Here in Canada, "Good Friday" (which is tommorrow) is treated the same as Christmas day, labor day, thanksgiving Monday and New Years day.
In other words, there are "bank" holidays and then there are *real* holidays (where pretty much everything is closed).
On all of those days mentioned above, pretty much all commerce grinds to a halt (except for gas stations and restaurants).
How is Good Friday treated in the US?
Are most workplaces, schools, stores (etc) closed?
Next Monday is "Easter Monday". Here in Canada, that's treated like a "bank holiday". No banks are open, no primary schools (highschools, grade schools, etc) are open, and anyone with a gov't job (federal, provincial, municipal, etc) doesn't go to work. But all retail or other commercial workplaces will be open.
How is "Easter Monday" treated in the US?
On 4/6/2012 2:18 PM, Snowy wrote:

LOL. You must do a lot of apologizing. ;)