How is a "Gasket" Different from a "Washer?"

Yeah, I know it looks like I have too much time on my hands. I'm making a list for HD, and I said "washer" when my buddy said "gasket." I thought before I logged off for the day I'd ask alt.home.repair's stupid question of the day.

Gaskets seal things. They are usual shaped to match the surfaces to be mated, be it a jar, oil pan on an engine, pumps, etc.
Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking nuts in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended purpose.
Great definitions, Ed. TB

Washer are disks with a hole in them. they are used to protect surrounding surfaces, keep bolt heads or nuts from pulling through a hole, locking nuts in place. While they may act as a seal at times, that is not the intended purpose.
what about a garden hose washer?

Commonly called a washer, shaped like a washer, but it truly is a gasket in use. As always, there are some exceptions and misnomers in life.
On 14 Dec 2004 06:21:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bob K 207) wrote:

A washer is a machine that is used to launder clothes.
A gasket is what you blow when the discharge hose from the washer jumps out of the drain and allows soapy water to flow all over the laundry room.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, to me, a washer is metal and a gasket isn't.
Various types of washers..."lock" to maintain pressure against a nut and keep it from unscrewing..."fender" to distribute pressure over a wider area...et al.
A gasket is compressible and is for evening out surface irregularities so that a tight seal is accomplished.
YMMV
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
"So... an oil drain plug washer is a washer or a gasket?
I guess I'm saying that some washers are 'compressible.. I've also heard the term 'crush washer'...
FWIW
Rick
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

pray4surf wrote:

A crush washer such as on an automotive oil pan is still a washer. Its primary purpose is to prolong the life of the threads, not to seal. In every design I'm familiar with (mostly Honda and GM), the plug would seal the pan just fine without the crush washer.
--
Bo Williams - snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net
http://hiwaay.net/~williams /
: : A crush washer such as on an automotive oil pan is still a washer. Its : primary purpose is to prolong the life of the threads, not to seal. In : every design I'm familiar with (mostly Honda and GM), the plug would : seal the pan just fine without the crush washer. : -- : Bo Williams -
Good point, Bo...
Rick

Unless, of course, you are using rubber or phenolic washers and brass gaskets.
On 13 Dec 2004 03:32:01 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

IMO - A gasket creates a seal between 2 surfaces. A washer is a simple disc with a hole in it.
Faucet washers are also gaskets. By specifying faucet 'washer' rather than gasket, you identify it as the washer inside the faucet, not some gasket that might appear someplace else.
Jim