How improved is SEER 6 to SEER 12 A/C?

My A/C is the orginal, maybe 20-25 years old, and has the equivalent of a SEER 6 (says the A/C guy). Being it's 20+ years old, i'll believe him.

Anyway, I am getting a SEER 12 unit as a replacement. How much of a difference can I expect in cost to run, and runtime?

Is SEER a linear function? If so I could assume 1/2 the run time and 1/2 the cost. Something tells me it's not linear though.

Reply to
Bill

Check out:

Ermalina

Yes, it is supposed to be linear.

Reply to
Bruce

Half the cost, yes. But not half the run time. Your new unit may actually run much longer.

Reply to
andy asberry

This is Turtle.

the 12 seer is suppose to use 50% less electricity than a 6 seer.

Run time will really not be a factor in seer rating of a system , but it's the cost to operate at a 50% lesser rate than the 6 seer.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

SEER is calculated by the efficiency of the equipment. The higher SEER stuff uses less energy to produce the same cooling.

Reply to
HeatMan

25 years old...closer to a 9....particularly if its a Rheem/Ruud, York, or Carrier...

In all honesty, if your AC guy can figure SEERS on units that old, he needs to be able to also show you a cost comparason on the various SEER ratings on his units, and how much you can save based on your current electrical costs.

Nope. Todays units are not like your older units, and unless you are getting a new evap coil, and furnace to go with it, you wont get near 12 SEER, and if you are using the old evap coil, you can be stuck with worse than what you had. As far as run time, many units are designed to run up to 80% longer and use up to 70% less power than the old unit its replacing, when the units replaced properly, and the duct system, and complete unit is installed correctly.

Reply to
CBHvac

Whoever you are, you really sound like you know a lot about heating and AC. I like the knowledgable answers, and polite choice of words.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn