How I think the economy will go and why

Actually, it's pretty easy. Right in the table of contents:

"SEC. 304. GREATER ENERGY EFFICIENCY IN BUILDING CODES."

The section does not address water heater insulation or any other specific practice at all. It requires the establishment of national energy building codes that meet certain energy reduction targets by certain dates. It doesn't say how.

I looked at the text of both the first-introduced bill and the one passed and sent to the Senate. Section 304 does not seem to differ significantly between the two.

It would be a HUGE step. There is a reason building codes apply to new construction and old houses are grand fathered in. It is not economically feasible to upgrade even a reasonably new (say 10 years old) to current code. My

60 year old barn would need new windows, roof structure, foundations, electrical, plumbing, insulation in the walls... The foundations alone would make it cheaper to tear down and rebuild.

We would have to tear down most of the nation's housing stock. Now that's a stimulus package!

-- Doug

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Check with primary sources, such as the bill itself. I'm convinced these bloggers have never seen it.

He's wrong. Or at least he is seriously mis-interpreting the bill.

Sure won't. But the bill does not require anything like that.

The bill requires the development of a national energy building code that sets standards for saving energy relative to the current international building code, not California.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I confused; what does expense have to do with anything? If we can spend money to run the country on sunbeams we can mandate pocket money to reduce our energy demand to that which can be supplied by sunbeams.

After all, it's for the children, for the whales, for a greener, more sustainable planet.

Here's the text:

You'll note that we'll have to conform to the International Energy Conservation Code

Get your copy here:

HeyBub

Douglas Johnson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

when did reason ever stop Obama and the DemocRATS?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ive semi retired as a mech /electrical engr. and currently do my own and a few commcl building repairs...Im not so bad at it. in some aspects I can be of significant help.

Your situation apparently is that you misconstrue an off topic post as a troll... those are two different animals.... USENET rules btw encourage a degree of off topic posts, as broader human interest.. 20% or so is the number mentioned.

You personally, appear to have a desire to trash others... friend, that backfires internally on its host,,, you are suffering from that. but its reversible by obvious measures.

I wish you well in these regards,

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott
.

that is correct... and home owners are also currently being affected by the economic mess, staying strictly with how to fix ones toilet, does little to fuel discussion on a NG.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

rnal-september.org:

now! that will be exciting! is that really the case? Unbelievable if it is. it will sure as hell keep us semi retired contractor types busy as hell though.

Phil Scott

Reply to
phil scott

OK, thats better, NEW construction only, applied to existing homes it would bankrupt the existing housing market.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott