How hot the water?

When the cat has fired there is virtually NO CO emitted - but the cat has not fired when the car is started and run in the garage.

He's going by current code requirements, I believe. I still have a door between the house and garage and would not have it any other way

- but it's been 30 years since a car has been in my garage - - - -

Reply to
clare

Screens, no matter HOW installed, can not be depended on to stop a child falling out a window.

Reply to
clare

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:f968fb42- snipped-for-privacy@e20g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

No risk at all there.

When the cat is up to full-operating temperature (about 15 minutes running), modern cars register 0.00% CO on a sniffer. For a few minutes after startup, the exhaust will emit approximately 3-7% CO, but that will decline rapidly as the cat warms up.

You need to take Holmes with a grain of salt; he's a bit like those celebrity chefs.

Holmes is also a bit of a safety and enviro nut, going slightly overboard on those things. He's famously said that he wants houses to be so efficient that you could heat them with a candle, and cool them with an ice cube.

CO works by temporarily displacing oxygen in the blood, since it binds to the same receptors as oxygen. When you die from CO, you simply suffocate to death, which takes a lot of time. And for that to happen, the CO level has to be pretty high, way higher than what's likely to occur in a few minutes of running the car in a garage, even with the door closed. Even if you breathe enough CO to get an oxygen-starvation headache, that will go away on its own once you're removed from the source of the CO.

Gasoline-powered underground mining equipment used catalytic converters as early as the 1940s, to keep CO emissions down to safe levels for the miners. Those cats were far less effective than modern cats, and yet miners did not get CO poisoning.

Reply to
Tegger

Furnaces and water heaters are usually put in living space without such worries. If they're in the garage, they're less dangerous.

BTW, I assume you live in an area that doesn't get cold. Water in the garage is no big deal here (my WH is in the garage in this house and in the attic above the garage in the other), but it *certainly* would be in the house before that (Vermont).

Reply to
krw

(51.66° C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk of bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125° F, if the child puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two minutes he or she may get second or third degree burns.

F (48.88° C). With this water temperature, a child would have to run water over the same place for ten minutes prior to receiving a severe burn.

children should be supervised and hot water should be 140+ for proper dishwashing and less used.

Reply to
Steve Barker

(51.66° C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk of bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125° F, if the child puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two minutes he or she may get second or third degree burns.

F (48.88° C). With this water temperature, a child would have to run water over the same place for ten minutes prior to receiving a severe burn.

True.

The guy who sold me the house said something about that. I thought he said I needed 140. (same dishwasher still.)

I finally found my immersion thermomemter (6 or 8 dolllars at Bed Bath and Beyond.) and found that my water is only 120. That's after increasing the temp 2 or 3 times since I bought the WH.

One page said that sme brands come with a low temp and some ship with it set at 140. All the webpages were about turning down the temp, not about turning it up like I have to do.

Apparently you have to inhaled the stuff, from taking a shower, or something to do with AC, or something else that doesn't apply to me.

But I still want it hotter, so that if the bath is not hot enough I can make it hotter. Right now I have to drain out water to make room for my semi-hot water.

Reply to
micky

Not really probative, but when I was 9 and in the hospital with a broken leg.... (they did that then. Now after they put the cast on, I think they woud send me home, but I was there for a couplel days.)

When I was there the boy next to me in the ward had gone to the gas stove to make coffee for his mother I was his age and had no idea how to make coffee. or how to make anything. And the stove exploded somehow He was getting skin grafts. And probably came out okay. A few scars on a man are not the problem they would be for a woman.

I suppose stoves are safer now, thugh I don't know what went wrong with his.

What did t he dog do then?

Reply to
micky

I roasted them over the fire. Once I missed my mouth and hit my cheek with a hot one. Made a round scar that got bigger as I got bigger. Most scars get smaller. But I think it disappeared eventually.

Reply to
micky

What about that French train going up through a mountain in the Alps to Switzerland. The snow made the tracks slippery, even in the tunnel., the train stalled while then engine pumped out CO. No time right now for me to google for it. In the middle of googling for other things.

Reply to
micky

BTW, 120 is hot enough for a nice bath, and even requires a little cold water to keep it from being too hot for me. And my dishwasher, which probably has its own heater, at least it does for drying, though I don't use it, works fine.

It's just that the water is not hot enough after a while, and the 120 degree water can barely make it hotter, and often can't without my draining some water out of the tub.

Showers are fine too.

Of course I don't want it very hot, like some seem to.

Reply to
micky

Usually they are found by the spouse and buried in the woods, for fear of getting in trouble. That's why you never hear about them.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Do you mean the Balvano disaster?That's the only one which shows up in a Google search. That was in 1944.

I can't find out whether this engine was steam or diesel. I also can't find how many hours they spent trying to make the train move. Also, there were a large number of passengers on the train, all of whom were consuming the tunnel's oxygen by the simple act of breathing. In any case, that incident is not applicable to the questions originally posed.

Reply to
Tegger

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:0c4a5a2d- snipped-for-privacy@w24g2000vby.googlegroups.com:

Remember that Holmes in on TV. He has to be totally by-the-book, don't-try- this-at-home, professional-driver-closed-course, do-not-attempt, otherwise he could get in serious trouble. If not legally, then from the activists.

Reply to
Tegger

5=B0 F (51.66=B0 C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk = of bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125=B0 F, if the ch= ild puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two minutes he or sh= e may get second or third degree burns.

t 120=B0 F (48.88=B0 C). With this water temperature, a child would have to= run water over the same place for ten minutes prior to receiving a severe = burn.

You use less hot water because you mix it with MORE COLD water. If you're filling a bath for example, you just wind up mixing more cold water with the hot water to get the desired temperature. And in a shower, whatever volume of water you like, well you like and are going to adjust it to the same GPM whatever the mix is.

I have mine set to 130F and the dishes come out nice and clean. Also, many dishwashers have a setting for added heating of the water or will do it autmatically. I'll bet it's more energy efficient to do any additional heating that way than to have a

40 gallon tank sitting around 24/7 hotter.
Reply to
trader4

TV shows demand drama, telling the home owner about carbon monoxide gives drama. Actually, code requires the ceiling when rooms are above it, and walls shared with a house, to be sealed to be gas tight, and as a fire stop. Now not many people get gassed from their cars, but people sometimes forget to turn the idling car off and gas will seep through into the house. Also, sometimes cars have had a fire for a number of reasons and the garage should have a one-hour firewall between it and the house. Actually, laws have been weakened in this area, where they used to require a double layer of drywall, with both layers taped and mudded and seams staggered, now one layer suffices according to code.

While it is rare that such sealing is actually used, it provides a measure of safety when the worst happens.

Reply to
EXT

Yes, I that's it. Wikip says a steam engine, And it was not France but southern Italy. And it doesn't mention snow. So I'm not a historian.

Okay, I guess it's not too relevant. Low grade coal they say. Of course the OP might be heating low grade water.

Reply to
micky

BTW, I came across a Facebook page for the Balvano Train Disastter. It wants me to click "Like". What will it mean if I say I like a train disaster?

Oh, it's just copied from Wikipedia. What's the point of that? So I don't ike it anyhow.

Reply to
micky