How hot the water?

Most experts recommend that hot water temperature should not exceed 125° F

(51.66° C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk of bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125° F, if the child puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two minutes he or she may get second or third degree burns.

>Some pediatricians instead suggest setting the hot water temperature at 120° F

(48.88° C). With this water temperature, a child would have to run water over the same place for ten minutes prior to receiving a severe burn.

How stupid is this kid that the water is burning hot but he keeps his hand in it for 2 minutes? (No offense to little children intended)

Reply to
micky

About as stupid as a grown woman, sitting in a sports car, putting a cup of hot coffee in her crotch.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

=B0 F (51.66=B0 C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk o= f bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125=B0 F, if the chi= ld puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two minutes he or she= may get second or third degree burns.

120=B0 F (48.88=B0 C). With this water temperature, a child would have to r= un water over the same place for ten minutes prior to receiving a severe bu= rn.

They did say that was what may result in second or third degree burns. So, assuming that is true, the child would have first degree burns and be injured much sooner.

I keep mine at 130F. That;s the min that dishwasher manufacturers have recommended in my experience. Also, on the other side are the folks warning that at below that you run the risk of legionaires disease growing in the tank.

Reply to
trader4

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A couple of years ago they had an article about this in one of our local newspaper after some kid was admitted to hospital with scalds. They interviewed a long-time emergency-room doctor about the situation. He said that when kids present with scalds, it's almost always because they pulled a boiling pot off the stove. He said just about nobody gets a hospital- visit-type scalds from tap water, even at our standard temperature of 140F.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for the real world report. And, a good caution about kids around the stove.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When the kids were small, I put red tape on the floor separating the cooking fro the eating area of the kitchen. It was an ABSOLUTE do NOT cross line. (Even the dog knew not to cross it.) When they were old enough to be trusted around the stove, the tape was removed.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

You know what else I'd like to see the real world reports on? How many people are sickened or killed by not having a home garage totally sealed off from the house. If you watch the Holmes shows on TV where Holmes goes around fixing screwed up houses, you know he has a fetish about that. Almost every house he goes into he starts bitching because the bottom of the drywall where it meets the block isn't completely caulked. About where if a water pipe come through the wall and it isn't caulked or the switch plates aren't sealed with gaskets, etc everyone is gonna get sick or die.

And I'm left thinking:

A - I only run my car for 10 secs with the garage door open and the exhaust pointed out.

B - I wonder how much CO a car actually emits today? I'll bet with the cat converters it's very little.

C - He's bitching about this on many, many houses that are not unusual. Most times it's in a subdivision of new houses where while he's fixing one, there must be 100 others right there that were built the same way.

So, inquiring minds want to know. Where are all these sick or dead people? I say the real problem is actually virtually non-existent of we'd have sick people everywhere with all the garages of typical construction that we all see everyday.

Reply to
trader4

I never had a problem burning myself near the stove when I was a kid, heck, I used to roast marshmallows with the gas flame.

When I got older though, that was when appliances became more dangerous.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I agree with your point that it is likely not a huge safety problem, BUT it is a sign of sloppy workmanship and also typically people do not heat their garages, or if they do, it's heated to a lower temp. than the rest of the house because those big doors don't insulate well. Finally, the furnace and/or water heater may be out there depending on how the house is laid out - it certainly was in my parents' first house. So there's the potential for CO to build up due to a malfunction in one of those appliances as well. So patching all those openings is not only a code requirement but also can help save energy, and the car or truck may not be the only thing in the garage burning fuel.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Some years ago the president of Baierl auto grop in pittsburgh died along with his wife when their car was left running in the garage.

Another hazard is window screens that pop outward if leaned againsy.

Screens in all homes should be secured to prevent kids from falling out windows

Reply to
bob haller

Well it may be a code reqt someplace, but it's not a code reqt that is being enforced here in NJ. Sure you can't have big gaping holes in the garage. But I can show you house after house here, new construction where there is no caulking at the bottom of the drywall, no special gaskets on the electric outlets, etc. The kind of stuff Holmes is bitching about. Nor are automatic door closers required between the house and garage, another one of his "You're all gonna die rants"

Reply to
trader4

I don't believe that the door closers are required, but at least in the last jurisdiction I lived, the fire rated drywall, all joints taped, and a fire door separating the garage from the living space are all definitely required to get an inspection.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That would be a kid living in a trailer park, where the parents mix whiskey in the kids baby bottle milk to shut them up while the parents do their heroin and meth. Besides being born brain damaged, the kid is too intoxicated to know any better.

Reply to
tangerine3

I did not know that (googles) you're right, looks like that happened when I was still in grade school though :) guess that explains why it didn't register on my news radar...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

As an infant our kid was never near water without a parent supervising. When she got older I was always fully confident that she was smart enough to pull her hand or other body part out of water hot enough to cause pain. I do not think that she was knowlegeable enough to avoid bacteria that can grow in water heaters set at too low a temperature until she was in her mid or late teens.

Reply to
Larry W

Sounds like she doesn't need a nanny state government?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

(51.66° C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk of bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125° F, if the child puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two minutes he or she may get second or third degree burns.

F (48.88° C). With this water temperature, a child would have to run water over the same place for ten minutes prior to receiving a severe burn.

Probably the spawn of a democrat.

Democrats need someone from the government to tell them what to do and when to do it. Democrats are responsible for all those silly warning labels plastered all over the products we buy.

Reply to
Moe Gasser

(48.88° C).

Mine is 130. Lessens the change of bacteria swimming around in it. It does not take me two minutes to determine if I should change the mix to make it more comfortable in the shower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Agree with the above. Same here. But if you watch the show, that isn't good enough for Holmes.

Reply to
trader4

its a sensible requirement.........

to minimse exhaust fumes from getting in the living areas of homes, to help energy efficency espically cold winter air infiltrating living areas. to minise the spread of a vehicle fire to the living areas.....

can anyone tell me whats good about a poorly sealed garage....?

Reply to
bob haller