How hear doorbell out in garden?

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and f orgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with th e door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just insi de the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitch en all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a seco nd doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, w ouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

TIA for any help.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.

What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

*Check out door bell extenders at SmartHome.com. I installed the Carlon model in a customer's house once. Very easy to install, however the plug-in chime was not very loud. I'm not sure if it will be loud enough for you outside.
Reply to
John Grabowski

forgetting to bring them in.  So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back.  Even in my office w ith the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

side the kitchen door.

itchen all through the house?   Is there a better way?  Or can I instal l a second doorbell that rings in back?  This would look funny by the fro nt door, wouldn't it?  Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

this is an ideal question for the Usenet group alt.security.alarm I wired our doorbell to an alarm bell in the back - the kind you see on a fire alarm box, about 6-8inch diameter. Nice loud ring. BUT the neighbors would scowl, so I went to a quieter bell and a strobe light like police flashing light. Now THAT grabs your attention even in daylight, and doesn't bother neighbors.

to really simplify, you might try a 'personal pager' small, that clips onto your clothing and requires only wiring AT your doorbell box in your kitchen. Think like the key that unlocks your car, same principle.

Reply to
Robert Macy

forgetting to bring them in.  So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back.  Even in my office w ith the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

side the kitchen door.

itchen all through the house?   Is there a better way?  Or can I instal l a second doorbell that rings in back?  This would look funny by the fro nt door, wouldn't it?  Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

What you need is something like this.

orbells

Reply to
harry

nd forgetting to bring them in.  So now I want to rig up something attach ed to the front door bell that I can hear out in back.  Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

inside the kitchen door.

kitchen all through the house?   Is there a better way?  Or can I inst all a second doorbell that rings in back?  This would look funny by the f ront door, wouldn't it?  Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

Or maybe this?

harry

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached t o the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

side the kitchen door.

chen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a se cond doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

Put a sign on the front door that says: "If door not answered, go around back to garden"

I am assuming that your visitors can read......

Reply to
Robert

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

inside the kitchen door.

kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

this.http://www.amazon.co.uk/meters-Remote-Wireless-Doorbell-Chime-UK/dp/B...

My doorbell is wireless. Maybe every couple of years needs new batteries. Chime is in center of the house but extra chime would be nice.

Reply to
Frank

Buy another identical wireless doorbell, and set them to the same frequency, or modify the existing wireless doorbell to trigger the sender (doorbell button) of another wireless doorbell.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

What does forgetting phones have to do with doorbells?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached t o the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

side the kitchen door.

chen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a se cond doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You're right; I stupidly conflated two problems.

One was: Can't hear doorbell in garden (or office w/door shut.

The other was: Can't hear phone in garden; took phones outside; forgot to bring them in; they got wet; ruined

So I really need two separate solutions, unless some genius on the NG can solve both at once .

re: Doorbell, thanks for suggestions, some almost within my range of competence. I will check them out, and will also post on the alarm site someone mentioned.

re: Phone, I once heard there was some kind of flashing light avec sound that could be run from the phone to outside.

So now that I have untangled door bell from phone, I would welcome new input.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Reply to
Higgs Boson

to bring them in; they got wet; ruined

solve both at once .

etence.  I will check them out, and will also post on the alarm site some one mentioned.

that could be run from the phone to outside.

Here in the UK you can get outside telephone bells. (Attached to the building somewhere.) Might annoy the neighbours if you have any,

Reply to
harry

I rented an apartment to a guy who was totally deaf. He had a rotating blue light connected to the door buzzer so that the light went on and rotated when someone was at the door.

Probably the most effective thing you can do for the doorbell is simply hanging a small sign on the front door of your house saying "I'm out back in the garden".

Reply to
nestork

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

the kitchen door.

all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

I have a pager, been with the same company since 1984 and everyone has that number. Since everyone has a cellphone these days you could rent a pager for $20 a month and put a note on your door with your pager number. Of course I've installed pager alarms in the past for folks who wanted to know when someone was tampering with their car and there are stand alone paging systems. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

the kitchen door.

all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

$20 a month?! ...for a pager?!!! Just get another cell phone for times when you're playing in the dirt. It'll be a *lot* cheaper than that.

Reply to
krw

bring them in; they got wet; ruined

solve both at once .

competence.  I will check them out, and will also post on the alarm site someone mentioned.

could be run from the phone to outside.

Simplest is to connect a wireless doorbell to the system and take it outside when you go out. Simple enough to convert. Put a small relay in place of the pushbutton on the wireless doorbell button, and trigger the relay off the existing doorbell. This becomes your "wireless repeater". Place it as close to the backyard as you can. Put a switch on the "wireless receiver" so it does not ring while you have it sitting un-used in the house or outside when you are not out (if you fasten it to a sheltered outside location)

Reply to
clare

Or "please use back door" which does not advertise that the house is (or may be) unoccupied.

Reply to
clare

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

inside the kitchen door.

kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

It covers The Southeast and when I'm in another city I get a digital number or if my pager number comes up on the display, I know I have voice mail. I keep my cellphone turned off until I'm going to use it. I don't even have voice mail setup on the cellphone and I will not use my cellphone while driving like the morons I must dodge every time I'm on The Interstate Highway. I did a search and found pager service from one place for $12 a month. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas
[snip]

There are doorbells that connect to your phone line, so pressing the button will ring your cordless phone.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd