How hear doorbell out in garden?

Page 1 of 2
I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and f orgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with th e door closed I can't hear the doorbell.
The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just insi de the kitchen door.
What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitch en all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a seco nd doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, w ouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.
TIA for any help.
HB
I have ruined several phones by taking them out while doing yard work and forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.
The front door bell rings -- is installed -- above the door frame just inside the kitchen door.
What does this non-techie have to do? Run a wire from the box in the kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.
*Check out door bell extenders at SmartHome.com. I installed the Carlon model in a customer's house once. Very easy to install, however the plug-in chime was not very loud. I'm not sure if it will be loud enough for you outside.

to the front door bell that I can hear out in back.  Even in my office w ith the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

l a second doorbell that rings in back?  This would look funny by the fro nt door, wouldn't it?  Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

this is an ideal question for the Usenet group alt.security.alarm I wired our doorbell to an alarm bell in the back - the kind you see on a fire alarm box, about 6-8inch diameter. Nice loud ring. BUT the neighbors would scowl, so I went to a quieter bell and a strobe light like police flashing light. Now THAT grabs your attention even in daylight, and doesn't bother neighbors.
to really simplify, you might try a 'personal pager' small, that clips onto your clothing and requires only wiring AT your doorbell box in your kitchen. Think like the key that unlocks your car, same principle.

to the front door bell that I can hear out in back.  Even in my office w ith the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

l a second doorbell that rings in back?  This would look funny by the fro nt door, wouldn't it?  Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

What you need is something like this. (Amazon.com product link shortened) W34/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid66997255&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless+do orbells

ed to the front door bell that I can hear out in back.  Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

all a second doorbell that rings in back?  This would look funny by the f ront door, wouldn't it?  Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

Or maybe this? (Amazon.com product link shortened) =sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid66997255&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+doorbells
On 4/26/2013 1:32 PM, harry wrote:

forgetting to bring them in. So now I want to rig up something attached to the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

kitchen all through the house? Is there a better way? Or can I install a second doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)66997255&sr=8-6&keywords=wireless+doorbells

My doorbell is wireless. Maybe every couple of years needs new batteries. Chime is in center of the house but extra chime would be nice.
On 04/26/2013 11:06 AM, Frank wrote:

Buy another identical wireless doorbell, and set them to the same frequency, or modify the existing wireless doorbell to trigger the sender (doorbell button) of another wireless doorbell.
Jon
On Friday, April 26, 2013 1:41:42 PM UTC-7, Jon Danniken wrote:

o the front door bell that I can hear out in back. Even in my office with the door closed I can't hear the doorbell.

cond doorbell that rings in back? This would look funny by the front door, wouldn't it? Naive questions from a naive homeowner.

Put a sign on the front door that says: "If door not answered, go around back to garden"
I am assuming that your visitors can read......

What does forgetting phones have to do with doorbells?
On Friday, April 26, 2013 12:49:15 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

You're right; I stupidly conflated two problems.
One was: Can't hear doorbell in garden (or office w/door shut.
The other was: Can't hear phone in garden; took phones outside; forgot to bring them in; they got wet; ruined
So I really need two separate solutions, unless some genius on the NG can solve both at once <g>.
re: Doorbell, thanks for suggestions, some almost within my range of competence. I will check them out, and will also post on the alarm site someone mentioned.
re: Phone, I once heard there was some kind of flashing light avec sound that could be run from the phone to outside.
So now that I have untangled door bell from phone, I would welcome new input.
TIA
HB

one mentioned.

Here in the UK you can get outside telephone bells. (Attached to the building somewhere.) Might annoy the neighbours if you have any,
I rented an apartment to a guy who was totally deaf. He had a rotating blue light connected to the door buzzer so that the light went on and rotated when someone was at the door.
Probably the most effective thing you can do for the doorbell is simply hanging a small sign on the front door of your house saying "I'm out back in the garden".
--
nestork

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 08:57:33 +0200, nestork

(or may be) unoccupied.
On 04/27/2013 11:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
DOORBELL INSTRUCTIONS:
1. If you're an asshole or on street drugs GO AWAY NOW.
2. If the BLUE button below is lit, press it. If not, press the YELLOW button.
3. Wait 1 minute or GO AWAY NOW.
4. If your visit is important, press the GREEN button (be sure to complete steps 1 - 3 first).
5. If you're pushing religion or selling anything else I haven't asked for, ignore steps 1 - 4. Press the RED button and GO AWAY NOW.

I liked the sign I saw in a shop today; [picture of business end of .38] with the words "We don't call 9-1-1?"
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:08:50 -0700 (PDT), harry

competence.  I will check them out, and will also post on the alarm site someone mentioned.

outside when you go out. Simple enough to convert. Put a small relay in place of the pushbutton on the wireless doorbell button, and trigger the relay off the existing doorbell. This becomes your "wireless repeater". Place it as close to the backyard as you can. Put a switch on the "wireless receiver" so it does not ring while you have it sitting un-used in the house or outside when you are not out (if you fasten it to a sheltered outside location)

I carry my cell phone in my pocket, even when in the back yard. Seems like in this wonderful world of technology, someone should have a doorbell "app" that would dial your phone
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:21:09 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Why not? My garage door opener has an app that calls, sends a text, or email when the garage door is opened. I have no idea why someone would want such a thing, but it's in there.

poor limbaughnista, too dedicated to the party line to think for yourself