How hard to replace kitchen sink?

It's a DIY job for sure.. but you will probably be going to the hardware store a few times. Mount the faucet to the new sink before your install the sink..... make sure to use plenty of plumbers putty on the faucet, and on the drain escutcheons.

Everything you mentioned comes with instructions... I'd say go for it.

Reply to
Matt

You might want to go to the library and check out one of those how to books if available. If not, just go to Home Depot and stand there and read theirs. Some special tools might be needed, but it isn't anything that is that hard. IMHO, that is. YMMV

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I to am a bit handy but got stuck with no sink for an afternoon and eventually had to call a plumber to complete the job. The old dual tub sink of course came out no problem! New sink fit right into old cut out, faucet installation was easy, disposal no problem, the problem I ran into was the drains on the new sink. On the old sink they were in the middle of the old the sink, the new sink they were offset and to the back! No matter how many trips to Home Depot I could not get the correct fittings/angles to line the old pipes up with the new drain holes. Anyway plumber came and did it in about 1/2. Luckily I was able to get a plumber to come the same day.

Felix

Matt wrote:

Reply to
fk89

its gonna take a day. but if you can read, and unscrew things, you can do it.

do you already have a disposal there? if not add another day to get the wiring situation figured out.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Make damn sure that the holes are the same. Other wise,,,,,, I bought a gas cook top for a song that I was sure was pretty close to fitting. (nope did not have the dimensions on me) The new cook top was width wise ok, depth was 4 inches smaller. So I had a hole in the back for a couple of years. The SO finally figured out that I would fix it some day and I did, when I replaced the counter top.

Put the disposal and drains in BEFORE you set it. Muchooo easier. Heavier and a tad more acquired but way easier than doing it on your back.

Get some old pillows that can get wet.

Look in to the sink kits that are sold at the box stores. Good way to get all of the small pieces.

Your going to need plumbers putty and Teflon tape. Plan on dinner out one night and your in like flint.

Reply to
SQLit

I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet, disposal, and fittings. How hard to do this on my own? I'm relatively handy, but afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the job, and no sink to use!! (My wife would NOT be happy :)

Reply to
Airkings

You posted 6 hours ago. Are you done yet?

Reply to
Kathy

In all likelihood, this will be easier than replacing just the fittings. You'll be working with almost everything nice & new. Anything old & crabby & corroded can be destroyed without mercy.

Provided you're using PVC for the drains, it should be borderline fun. Borderline. A patient assistant could come in handy from time to time.

(Installing the actual disposal mounting bracket in the sink will definitely take 2 people (or else a set of weights) to hold the fitting down while you work from underneath. It's not hard, but it's clumsy.)

Airk> I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet,

Reply to
Robert Barr

Yank it out and throw in a new one.

Reply to
FlavorFlav

I'm generally in favor of doing things yourself. But...

I put in a new sink a year ago or so. In fact I replaced the base cabinets also. It was the end of my kitchen remodel job and I was a little apprehensive about getting the old cabinets out, new ones in and the plumbing redone in one day, so I had a VERY handy friend come over. I'm lucky I did.

It took the two of us all day and part of the next, and without my friend's expertise it wouldn't have gotten done at all. My house was built in 1949. I don't know how much of the plumbing is original. We needed to remove a reducing ell that connected the brass trap to a short nipple. That nipple went into the wall, to the waste line. The threads on that nipple were badly damaged; we wouldn't have been able to securely reattach the reducing ell.

We devoted a fair potion of that afternoon to removing that nipple. It involved a torch, pipe wrenches, wd-40 and a hell of a lot of patience. If we had not been able to remove it or worse, had damaged the threads inside the wall, I'd have had a heck of a plumbing job, not to mention wall repair.

I've been told since that you shouldn't try to replace any plumbing unless you're prepared to replace "all" of it. I assume this doesn't mean the whole house, but the whole general area. I think if the stuff you're going to touch is pretty new, you'll be OK. But if some of it is old...

Good luck.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G

Assuming not tiled in, make sure you get all the tools/supplies before you start. Go to home depot/lowes and have someone tell you what you will need. Always get more than you need and the "might need that" items, you can always return them. Best to have a second pair of hands around when doing it to help. When my brother and i replaced our moms sink it took about 4-6 hours. Of course an experienced person could do it in an hour. Get a few towels before you start since your gonna have some small leakage. Also get a nice comfy towel to lie on while under the sink.

This is a weekend job and not a "let me knock this out before "Desperate housewives" comes on. ;) It is a pretty easy job.

Reply to
Unknown

Sinks are easy to install provided they are "drop-in" or even undermounted. If you have "tiled-in" sink you are in for a job.

Reply to
ck

Good response but I'd say "Definitely" get a second set of hands. You'll have a time when you're on your back under the counter and will need something picked up, turned on, turned off, dropped in, lifted out, or dial

9-1-1 (just kidding).

It's a time intensive job, not a difficult one. My Father and I did my kitchen sink on a Saturday. Took longer cause I didn't have all the "you may need this" parts and supplies so I had to keep going back to the "Depot".

Just make sure you have ALL the tools/parts/supplies you will/might need before you get started and give yourself plenty of time and you'll be fine.

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton