How hard is it to add a return duct to my heat/air system?

Adding anything to the return air supply should be looked at by a pro. I have never seen cardboard duct work. Fiber yes but not cardboad. The fiber was made from fiberglass and has not been used much where I live cause of health concerns.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi everyone,

I've got a room that is my home office and I have to keep the door shut in it all day. With the door shut, there is only a vent and no return air duct in the room so the room gets warm during summer. I can see the cardboard looking (not metal) ductwork and the return air looks like a box with silver covering and the air ducts themselves are through a round silver flexible line.

Here are my questions:

  1. I think I can add the duct to my room pretty easily. How easy is it to work with this cardboard ductwork? What tools will I need? Do I just need to splice my return duct into the existing one? I have one not too far from my office that is one of 2 main return ducts (in the hallway).

  1. Should I consider adding another vent as well?

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
SA Development

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Hi,

To be honest, I'm not sure what it is. I know that it is not metal and has a silver foil outside to it.

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
SA Development

Hi Frank,

This was my first idea, but I use the office to work in and I have to keep the noise of a toddler out of it, so I can't cut the door or put a door vent in.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
SA Development

If not through the door then down through the floor and back up the other side of the wall. or into one wall cavity and out another (as long as it is not a fire rated wall)

I don't have return air but adding a vent was easy. I just selected apporpriate sized and shaped sheet metal for the end in the wall and flexible 6" duct for the middle and a 6" WYE to connect it to the old duct (I removed a section and used the WYE and a short section of flex to replace the excised section). Don't forget the clamps and real Duct tape (has a specification number on the label)

The cardboard like material may be some kind of applied insulation panel. metal may be underneith.

Reply to
PipeDown

Hi Frank,

I'm not sure if it is 6" or 8", but under my door between carpet and door bottom is about 1/2". I would say that is probably not enough of a return duct. This room is my office and it does have some equipment running in it to keep it warmer (computer, monitor, printer, etc.), but I have to keep noise out so I can't put a vent in the door or cut it shorter. The temp in the rest of the house is about 77 deg and my office is running 83 deg now.

I could have the company who installed my system (house is about 3 years old) put in another vent or an air return and/or I would still consider doing it myself if it was hard work. The area in question is pretty easily accessible.

Do you think I need a return vent, or an additional vent, or both?

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
SA Development

Look up local tin shops. They make custom ductwork.

Take EXACT measurements and the'll just make it.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib