How Good are Portable A/C's?

I have read most of the bad press on these, but I was in the HD yesterday and they had a 10K model running with the air hose laying in a little alcove (not even running outside the building.) I judged the cooling output to be excellent. Is the bad press on these things overblown? Thanks for your opinion! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

The store was already about 72 degrees so it should be able to cool it down nicely. Even the fans feel good in the store.

I've not used one, but I've not heard anything good about them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suspect the main market is folks who live in apartment buildings or condos that circulates cold water in summer to room air handlers. Some officer workers may also be targets.

Like it or not, "management's" idea of adequate cooling isn't the same as many of the tenants. If a tenant can't get management to set the water chiller to a lower temperature he just hooks up his portable A/C. That's usually against the rules but it's hard to "catch" folks doing it.

Reply to
<nni/gilmer

frank1492 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

At least mine is better than fans when the humidity is high. Right after I finally bought one, then the weather turned nice, so I didn&#39;t need it for a couple of weeks. Last night I ran it and it cooled the room down a few degrees and even the humidity felt lower. I&#39;m trying to make do until I can get central a/c. I didn&#39;t keep running it all night. Thought I&#39;d do that if it gets really hot and unbearable. This is what I bought: EdgeStar - AP450z

Reply to
Marina